LBGT bulies and Schools

2233boys

Not So New Member
You're right, poor people are totally incapable of doing anything for themselves. We need to give them money and lots of aid. That always gets them motivated to do something...
Didn't say that but saying just move is asinine.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You know what I would do if I lived in Detroit? I would move somewhere else. If you still live in Detroit you deserve the misery you choose to live in.
Not if you had no money, no education, and no prospects anywhere else you wouldn't. Housing projects/subsidized housing/life is going to be pretty shitty anywhere you go if you're dirt poor so if you're in that situation and are from Detroit you might as well stay in the misery you know.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not if you had no money, no education, and no prospects anywhere else you wouldn't. Housing projects/subsidized housing/life is going to be pretty shitty anywhere you go if you're dirt poor so if you're in that situation and are from Detroit you might as well stay in the misery you know.
Yeah because the job prospects everywhere else are just as bad as Detroit...

I know this is hard to believe but there are actually places hiring uneducated laborers these days. Just not in Detroit. It's not hard to move when you don't own any shit and don't have a job.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yeah because the job prospects everywhere else are just as bad as Detroit...

I know this is hard to believe but there are actually places hiring uneducated laborers these days. Just not in Detroit. It's not hard to move when you don't own any shit and don't have a job.
What, so a single mom with 4 kids who is working two jobs in Detroit and getting assistance to put food on the table is going to move to, say, Indianapolis and start making plenty of money? Because those uneducated labor jobs you speak of pay so well, right?

You sound an awful lot like a white guy who never had to worry about anything except for passing his classes. I didn't grow up poor in the projects either but I've certainly dealt with people who have (I'm not talking about drug deals smart asses). Lookit, I'm not advocating a welfare state or saying that people can't rise above it but to suggest that "moving" is going to help the situation of someone who is from generations of poor people is, as 2233 put it, asinine.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What, so a single mom with 4 kids who is working two jobs in Detroit and getting assistance to put food on the table is going to move to, say, Indianapolis and start making plenty of money? Because those uneducated labor jobs you speak of pay so well, right?
FWIW, the ONLY excuse one would have not to pack their shit up and move is what you just touched on; single parenthood. Any other barriers are mostly self-inflicted/perpetuated.

If you don't have kids there is no excuse to be in poverty. Possibly, total disability would be a second reason, but that's rare.

Lookit, I'm not advocating a welfare state or saying that people can't rise above it but to suggest that "moving" is going to help the situation of someone who is from generations of poor people is, as 2233 put it, asinine.
It's not asinine unless you have children to care for which prevents you from simply going to work.

You can support yourself working at a fast food place if you actually care about your job (which may entail working 50-60 hours a week).

Conclusion: Wrap that shit up. Sorry, Catholics.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Didn't say that but saying just move is asinine.
Detroit is so bad that you could improve your life by literally walking out of it. If you just hitch-hiked out of Michigan, you'd be in a first world country again. The lower crime rate alone would make a huge difference.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Man, only at the DCC can a thread shift this fast.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
FWIW, the ONLY excuse one would have not to pack their shit up and move is what you just touched on; single parenthood. Any other barriers are mostly self-inflicted/perpetuated.

If you don't have kids there is no excuse to be in poverty. Possibly, total disability would be a second reason, but that's rare.

It's not asinine unless you have children to care for which prevents you from simply going to work.

You can support yourself working at a fast food place if you actually care about your job (which may entail working 50-60 hours a week).

Conclusion: Wrap that shit up. Sorry, Catholics.
I pretty much agree with your points (except "possibly total disability"...if you're totally disabled it's a "definitely" rather than "possibly. how can you support yourself if you're totally disabled?) but especially the "wrap that shit up" part. The impoverished pumping more and more kids into the "grew up dirt poor poor in the projects/trailer court" category isn't good for anyone.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's why I led off by saying "They are tools for state indoctrination" and "we should privatize education."

Because then you could at least pick your bias.

Here's an interesting thought: is it possible for someone to own a for profit K-12 school? I say this because I am exploring the idea of doing this as my master degree project.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Actually, that was a lazy post...like a lot of mine in the last few years.

I know the answer to the question. It is a subject that I might be looking into a little more in the near future.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Actually, that was a lazy post...like a lot of mine in the last few years.

I know the answer to the question. It is a subject that I might be looking into a little more in the near future.
It's legal, but it's hard as hell to even make a non-profit make enough money to work. Also going K-12 commits you to a huge amount of things you'll have to offer but not get your money's worth out of. If you want to make great money and run a flexible and effective school, get a charter written and try to get in line to get a Charter School started. You can pay yourself good money as a principal and overall, Charter Schools have been really successful in this state. It's the next best thing to vouchers.

Try to limit your scope to 4-6 grades, though, or some specialization like Special Ed or some kind of gifted program or early graduation. It's hard to get teachers who want to mess with all grade levels and the curriculum costs get crazy. Find an underserved market and give the people what they need and you'll get plenty of charter money.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

You sound an awful lot like a white guy who never had to worry about anything except for passing his classes. I didn't grow up poor in the projects either but I've certainly dealt with people who have (I'm not talking about drug deals smart asses). Lookit, I'm not advocating a welfare state or saying that people can't rise above it but to suggest that "moving" is going to help the situation of someone who is from generations of poor people is, as 2233 put it, asinine.
Who said anything about someone with a job and an income? Someone who has two jobs and is supporting their family has no reason to move. Someone who doesn't have a job though? Like what I actually said? Absolutely can pick up and move. There isn't a damn thing stopping them except self pity which far too many people in America have.

I may be a white dude who didn't grow up poor but believe me I deal with lots of women just like you described. Ones that work two jobs and take care of their family by working their ass off. I have no idea why you think I am targeting that group of people in any way what so ever when I say a "jobless person in Detroit" should move somewhere else. I digress though. When talking about privatized education you would still need a safety net to provide for the education of our poor. I think adults in poverty have options and in ways have put themselves in that situation (There are always exceptions). That doesn't mean I think children should suffer for their parents ineptitude.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The problem is the Constitution, Bill of Rights and those other patriotic documents. Revise it so not everyone expects freedom of choice or equality.

Lesser people are kept in their place and get kicked out if they demand for more rights, free handouts for a better lifestyle.
Huh?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The problem is the Constitution, Bill of Rights and those other patriotic documents. Revise it so not everyone expects freedom of choice or equality.

Lesser people are kept in their place and get kicked out if they demand for more rights, free handouts for a better lifestyle.
This thread was getting funny. Now you have to say that the free speech rights of some have to be repressed for others' fear of being even marginally offended. That ruins everything.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It's legal, but it's hard as hell to even make a non-profit make enough money to work. Also going K-12 commits you to a huge amount of things you'll have to offer but not get your money's worth out of. If you want to make great money and run a flexible and effective school, get a charter written and try to get in line to get a Charter School started. You can pay yourself good money as a principal and overall, Charter Schools have been really successful in this state. It's the next best thing to vouchers.

Try to limit your scope to 4-6 grades, though, or some specialization like Special Ed or some kind of gifted program or early graduation. It's hard to get teachers who want to mess with all grade levels and the curriculum costs get crazy. Find an underserved market and give the people what they need and you'll get plenty of charter money.

I just stated that I was going to do RESEARCH about this topic. While I appreciate your input, I don't think that I will rule out anything based upon what you know off the top of your head.

There is a growing thought that for-profit schools will soon become the next education craze.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I just stated that I was going to do RESEARCH about this topic. While I appreciate your input, I don't think that I will rule out anything based upon what you know off the top of your head.

There is a growing thought that for-profit schools will soon become the next education craze.
Wouldn't ask anyone to do anything financially on just my recommendation.

You just have to look at how much you're going to have to charge per kid and estimate how many parents are willing to pay that, especially if being for profit runs the prices up higher than other quality private schools. Also, will you really make more money as a for-profit than you would running a non-profit and paying yourself a salary?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Wouldn't ask anyone to do anything financially on just my recommendation.

You just have to look at how much you're going to have to charge per kid and estimate how many parents are willing to pay that, especially if being for profit runs the prices up higher than other quality private schools. Also, will you really make more money as a for-profit than you would running a non-profit and paying yourself a salary?
Those are the questions that I intend to get answers for.

It should only take about a year to complete my research, so BRB.

Top Bottom