Jones Says Garrett Will Return As Head Coach For 2014

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones has Monte Kiffin's back too

November, 21, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Things could not have started worse for the Dallas Cowboys defensively under new coordinator Monte Kiffin.

They are allowing more yards per game than any team in the league. They have allowed an NFL-record four 400-yard passing games. They allowed an NFL-record 40 first downs against the New Orleans Saints and a franchise-record 625 yards two weeks after allowing what was then a franchise-record 623 yards to the Detroit Lions.

Now the Cowboys get to play at least one game without their best defensive player inSean Lee and another starting linebacker in Justin Durant because of hamstring injuries.

The good news is that Jason Hatcher, DeMarcus Ware and Morris Claiborne are set to return from injuries.

And that has owner and general manager Jerry Jones backing Kiffin.

“I understand his situation and I like and have liked for years where he’s trying to go with this defense,” Jones said. “I like if we were going to have somebody take where we are with our personnel, for better or for worse, where we are in the bye week, what adjustments we needed to make, getting these guys that are coming back healthy, there’s nobody in coaching I’d rather have managing that than Monte Kiffin on defense. Nobody.”

The last time Hatcher, Ware and Claiborne all played in the same game was Oct. 20 against Philadelphia, which also happened to be the defense’s best performance of the season.

But they also had Lee, who had 11 tackles and an interception, that day.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Stupid announcement.

What if someone really desirable comes available? Now you've made it harder to change your mind since you've announced it publicly.

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo, Dez Bryant respond to Jerry Jones saying Jason Garrett will be Dallas Cowboys head coach in 2014
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
3:50 pm on November 21, 2013 | Permalink

IRVING — Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Thursday that Jason Garrett will remain the team’s head coach in 2014.

Two of the Cowboys’ top offensive weapons were both approving of that news when they were informed by reporters later in the day.

“It’s good,” Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said. “We’re continuing to try and win games and Jason’s done a great job putting us in position to have that opportunity, and I think he’s done a great job. Anytime that happens, it’s always just a positive.”

Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant said he loves Garrett, calling him “one of the best coaches I’ve ever been around.”

“Man, coach Garrett has been great to me since day one,” Bryant said. “I’m speaking for me, the relationship me and coach Garrett have. He always stays on me because he believes in me, and I thank him for it. I can’t thank him enough. He is a people person and he loves his players. He’ll do whatever for us. He’s always checking on us. He sees how our day goes. I know everybody around the league don’t get that. That’s coach Garrett.”

Bryant added: “He does a great job with us. If Mr. Jones believes in him, I know we believe in him as players. He’s A1. He’s A1.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Stupid announcement.

What if someone really desirable comes available? Now you've made it harder to change your mind since you've announced it publicly.
I should think that you would love this announcement.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I can't figure out if Nick Eatman looks drunk or just has a touch of the Downs.

Cotton

Staff member
I can't figure out if Nick Eatman looks drunk or just has a touch of the Downs.
Maybe a little bit of both?

superpunk

Banned
Tony Romo, Dez Bryant respond to Jerry Jones saying Jason Garrett will be Dallas Cowboys head coach in 2014
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
3:50 pm on November 21, 2013 | Permalink

IRVING — Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Thursday that Jason Garrett will remain the team’s head coach in 2014.

Two of the Cowboys’ top offensive weapons were both approving of that news when they were informed by reporters later in the day.

“It’s good,” Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said. “We’re continuing to try and win games and Jason’s done a great job putting us in position to have that opportunity, and I think he’s done a great job. Anytime that happens, it’s always just a positive.”

Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant said he loves Garrett, calling him “one of the best coaches I’ve ever been around.”

“Man, coach Garrett has been great to me since day one,” Bryant said. “I’m speaking for me, the relationship me and coach Garrett have. He always stays on me because he believes in me, and I thank him for it. I can’t thank him enough. He is a people person and he loves his players. He’ll do whatever for us. He’s always checking on us. He sees how our day goes. I know everybody around the league don’t get that. That’s coach Garrett.”

Bryant added: “He does a great job with us. If Mr. Jones believes in him, I know we believe in him as players. He’s A1. He’s A1.”
Will Allen be all like "nuh-uh"

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Stupid announcement.

not really,at least in Jerry's case, he's made statements before and then done whatever he wanted anyway

Cotton

Staff member

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
:picard

That better be bullshit.

As an aside, has anyone ever heard that Jeff Sullivan guy speak? Star Magazine does a podcast with him and Josh Ellis, who used to be on Cowboys Break. Jeff Sullivan sounds like a cross between Porky Pig and Sylvester the Cat because he stutters and has that really juicy lisp. The guy literally has two speech impediments and they put him on an internet radio show where he talks most of the time?! Brilliant.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys Players Voice Support For Garrett’s Return

Posted 2 hours ago

Rowan Kavner DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Don’t expect to hear a lot of smack talk coming from the Cowboys’ locker room.

More generic talk about “the process” is sure to be in full form, but that’s because head coach Jason Garrett’s mannerisms, tendencies and catch phrases have rubbed off on many of the veteran Cowboys, who voiced their support after owner/general manager Jerry Jones said Garrett will be back next season.

“He has class, so we’re not the talk mess kind of team,” said Jason Hatcher. “It’s just class, go out there and play football and come out. We don’t talk noise. We’ll leave that to other teams.”

Hatcher said Garrett’s approach trickles down to the rest of the team. Garrett’s not the type to oversell one matchup with hyperbole or any pre-game chatter, and this week his team has followed suit.

It’s not odd these days to find players such as Dez Bryant uttering words or phrases that sound like his head coach. Bryant said that’s because he believes in what his coach has to say.

“I know with me, I pay attention to him, I listen to him, I love him,” Bryant said. “He’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever been around.”

As expected, Bryant doesn’t see much added excitement this week against an NFC East foe from Garrett. It’s challenging to get Garrett out of his typical groove or riled up on the record, even after his boss said his job’s safe next season.

Garrett’s response upon being told about Jones’ comments only concerned Thursday’s practice.

“We understand we have a great challenge this week and we're trying to get ready for it,” Garrett said. “I just think it’s the nature of the league. You have to focus on what you’re doing each and every day to play your best football on Sunday. So that’s what the focus is.”

Even if Garrett wouldn’t elaborate on his own feelings about his apparent stability as the head coach, his players did.

Safety Barry Church said he’s always had confidence in Garrett and the way he goes about coaching. He said he never thought Garrett should have been coaching for his job, but it’s comforting to hear Jones’ confidence in him.

“It definitely helps to hear that, because you don’t want to hear about your coach might be fired,” Church said. “And if he is getting fired, they’ll be bringing all different types of coaches in and you’ve got to work a whole different system. It definitely gives us confidence knowing our coach will be back here next year.”

Quarterback Tony Romo said Garrett’s done a great job since taking over and has put the team in a great position to have the opportunity to win games, while Hatcher elaborated past the X’s and O’s.

Hatcher said he’s got a lot of respect for Garrett, particularly after getting to know him more after the head coach became more involved in the defensive meetings.

“Just to know him personally and know that he cares about you off the field as well as on the field, it’s not like some coaches that absolutely don’t care,” he said. “It’s all business with them, but you know at the end of the day he cares about you individually, and he understands the game.”

That last point about Garrett is what’s sunk in for Hatcher, who commended Garrett for his knowledge about football. He said he was honored to have him as a head coach and he wishes the best for him. He hears the criticism that can come along with a .500 record and recent mediocrity, but Hatcher said he holds Garrett in high regards.

“I know you guys think differently, rag him all the time, but I think he’s an awesome coach and I wish the best for him in the future,” Hatcher said. “I’m glad the Cowboys will have him back. He deserves it.”

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
lol damn we all know Hatcher probably wont be back but has he signed with someone else already

Cotton

Staff member
:picard

That better be bullshit.

As an aside, has anyone ever heard that Jeff Sullivan guy speak? Star Magazine does a podcast with him and Josh Ellis, who used to be on Cowboys Break. Jeff Sullivan sounds like a cross between Porky Pig and Sylvester the Cat because he stutters and has that really juicy lisp. The guy literally has two speech impediments and they put him on an internet radio show where he talks most of the time?! Brilliant.
I've never seen him to be really in touch with the team, so I would guess it's bullshit.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I actually see these comments as good news.

It's the dreaded vote of confidence.

Garrett will be out of here shortly after the season ends.
Indeed, this seals the deal. Now Garrett will deliver another .500 result.

Adopted redhead son vanquished.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Jones means what he says, he should extend Garrett’s contract

Posted by Mike Florio on November 21, 2013, 6:41 PM EST

Jerry Jones provides unequivocal and unconditional support to his employees until he no longer supports them. We’ve seen it before, and we’re seeing it again, with head coach Jason Garrett.

On Thursday, Jones said that Garrett will be back as the head coach in 2014.

It wouldn’t be the first time Jones says one thing and eventually does another. In 2010, Jones said that former head coach Wade Phillips wouldn’t be fired during the season.

“I would never consider doing that during the season,” Jones said.

And then Jones fired Phillips during the season.

The owner’s current goal is obvious. As the Cowboys try to get to the playoffs and advance a level or two (or more), Jones doesn’t want Garrett’s status to be a potential distraction or source of added stress. But if they ultimately don’t get to the playoffs, Jones can then change his mind, as he has done in the past.

And if Jones wants anyone to believe that Garrett will be back next year, here’s what Jones needs to do: Extend Garrett’s contract. Currently signed through 2014, Garrett likely will get either an extension or fired after the season, to avoid the distraction of being a lame duck. If Jones already has decided to commit to Garrett for next year, why not go ahead and commit to him contractually for 2015 or beyond?

Jones won’t, because Jones reserves the right to change his mind if the Cowboys don’t get to the playoff — or perhaps if they win the NFC Least and lose in the wild-card round at home.

Cotton

Staff member
Please, Lord if you are actually there, please let us get buttraped by the Giants this weekend.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Do not get worked up over Jerry Jones' lies.

As Adam Schefter pointed out yesterday, Jerry Jones is the same guy that said he wouldn't trade for Roy Williams then traded for him 48 hours later.

He's the same guy that said he wouldn't fire a coach mid-season then fired Wade a week or so later.

He's the same guy that said Terrell Owens would definitely return to the Cowboys in 2009 then he released TO shortly thereafter.

So do not believe Jerry Jones. If this team finishes 8-8 or worse and misses the playoffs I full expect Garrett to be fired.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Do not get worked up over Jerry Jones' lies.

As Adam Schefter pointed out yesterday, Jerry Jones is the same guy that said he wouldn't trade for Roy Williams then traded for him 48 hours later.

He's the same guy that said he wouldn't fire a coach mid-season then fired Wade a week or so later.

He's the same guy that said Terrell Owens would definitely return to the Cowboys in 2009 then he released TO shortly thereafter.

So do not believe Jerry Jones. If this team finishes 8-8 or worse and misses the playoffs I full expect Garrett to be fired.
As everybody on the board pointed out yesterday as well.

Top Bottom