JJT: Mike McCarthy’s chance to succeed with Cowboys comes with power Jerry Jones never afforded Jason Garrett

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Johnson and Parcells are probably the worst examples anyone could choose. Johnson hadn't won anything in the NFL before he arrived. Jimmy got him two SBs and still they couldn't coexist. Jerry couldn't stand the idea of sharing credit or the spotlight with Johnson. So much for credibility -- "clout and authority."

Parcells lasted four seasons. Jerry forced Terrell Owens down is his throat when Parcells wanted no part of TO. When they agreed to an amicable divorce, Jerry summarized his position by saying, "I'm just not having fun anymore." So much for credibility -- "clout and authority."
So, you're saying Jerry has improved?

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Johnson and Parcells are probably the worst examples anyone could choose. Johnson hadn't won anything in the NFL before he arrived.
How does one "win anything in the NFL before they arrived"?

Jimmy got him two SBs and still they couldn't coexist. Jerry couldn't stand the idea of sharing credit or the spotlight with Johnson. So much for credibility -- "clout and authority."
But the fact remains that he did. Jimmy had the credibility by winning a National Championship.

Parcells lasted four seasons. Jerry forced Terrell Owens down is his throat when Parcells wanted no part of TO. When they agreed to an amicable divorce, Jerry summarized his position by saying, "I'm just not having fun anymore." So much for credibility -- "clout and authority."
And completely rebuilt a talent-less 5-11 team and had them stocked to go 13-3 with a first round bye in the playoffs the following year.

It's funny that you want to jump to the end of each reign while ignoring everything done in between. The negative agenda is on full display.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Johnson having credibility via a college championship is nebulous because Barry Switzer won several and few give him any credit whatsoever so Johnson can’t really be be comparitively lumped with Parcells unless Switzer is factored in.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Johnson having credibility via a college championship is nebulous because Barry Switzer won several and few give him any credit whatsoever so Johnson can’t really be be comparitively lumped with Parcells unless Switzer is factored in.
Jerry wasn't one of those "few" - clearly. But Switzer was smart enough to know that he didn't need to make sweeping changes to one of the most dominant teams in NFL history.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jerry wasn't one of those "few" - clearly. But Switzer was smart enough to know that he didn't need to make sweeping changes to one of the most dominant teams in NFL history.
I agree and that mentality got him a SB ring. Almost two.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:picard :picard :picard

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
But fear and discipline went right out the window, much to Troy's dismay.
Most definitely. The fact is that Switzer couldn't be that "just don't screw it up" guy forever while his players and coaches left town for greener pastures. Switzer was far too content to keep his hands off of everything and took it too far to the point where the inmates ran the asylum.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But fear and discipline went right out the window, much to Troy's dismay.
That was after the fact and I think Stash was commenting on the determinations of hiring and how they equated to Jerry Jones mindset with each of the coaches. If I am wrong he can let us know.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
That was after the fact and I think Stash was commenting on the determinations of hiring and how they equated to Jerry Jones mindset with each of the coaches. If I am wrong he can let us know.
No, you're right. Jones had a lot of respect for both Johnson and Parcells because of their proven track records, unlike the other coaches he hired. Switzer had the skins, but his case was different as he inherited an all-time team and just needed to not screw it up.

I think McCarthy having won a Super Bowl, and those years of making the playoffs carries a lot of weight with Jerry, and he will act in much the same way as he did with Johnson and Parcells.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Most definitely. The fact is that Switzer couldn't be that "just don't screw it up" guy forever while his players and coaches left town for greener pastures. Switzer was far too content to keep his hands off of everything and took it too far to the point where the inmates ran the asylum.
To Switzers credit however he told Jones to fire him even though he had the best winning percentage of any coach. He realized he wasn’t cut out to be a pro coach.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
How does one "win anything in the NFL before they arrived"?

But the fact remains that he did. Jimmy had the credibility by winning a National Championship.

And completely rebuilt a talent-less 5-11 team and had them stocked to go 13-3 with a first round bye in the playoffs the following year.

It's funny that you want to jump to the end of each reign while ignoring everything done in between. The negative agenda is on full display.
You're right. I have to try to stop being so negative. I have to learn to overlook the fact that Jerry's team is one of small handful of NFL teams that haven't won dog shit in 25 years. And the fact he has changed nothing over those 25 years, keeps doing the same things over two-and-a-half decades, should make me feel really positive and upbeat.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
You're right. I have to try to stop being so negative. I have to learn to overlook the fact that Jerry's team is one of small handful of NFL teams that haven't won dog shit in 25 years. And the fact he has changed nothing over those 25 years, keeps doing the same things over two-and-a-half decades, should make me feel really positive and upbeat.
Or wallow in misery 24/7, your call.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jerry's far from perfect, that goes without saying. But I do think he's changed some. He's not the same guy from 1995. I don't think he's even the same guy he was 10 years ago. He wouldn't have hired McCarthy back then and let him hire anyone he wanted.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Or wallow in misery 24/7, your call.
Believe me, I don't wallow in misery. Jerry Jones and his dysfunctional, piece-of-shit organization aren't worth the time or trouble. It's much more enjoyable to puncture the Santa-Claus myths of the Kool-Aide drinkers.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Believe me, I don't wallow in misery. Jerry Jones and his dysfunctional, piece-of-shit organization aren't worth the time or trouble. It's much more enjoyable to puncture the Santa-Claus myths of the Kool-Aide drinkers.
You'd have a better chance of accomplishing that goal if you weren't too busy saying dumb shit like this:

Johnson hadn't won anything in the NFL before he arrived.
:laff

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You'd have a better chance of accomplishing that goal if you weren't too busy saying dumb shit like this:

:laff
Maybe I don’t understand the post from Deadrise but the way I read it, it’s a true statement. Johnson had no exposure or experienced in the NFL before he became the coach of the Cowboys.

Top Bottom