Jerry Jones has scathing comment about Cowboys offense, Linehan

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones has scathing comment about Cowboys offense, Linehan
ByPatrik Walker 28 minutes ago

The tables could be turning against Scott Linehan.

Having now played three games in the 2018 season, the Dallas Cowboys are 1-2 largely in part to the ineptitude on offense. The defense didn't look usually great against the Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink Field, but they allowed only 24 points in Week 3 and are were top five in the league in several categories going into the game. The offense has been quite the antithesis, however, and their 13 points on Sunday now has them averaging only 13.17 points per game over their last six regular season games.

Head coach Jason Garrett said following their season opener loss he would not take over play calling duties, having "tremendous faith" in coordinator Scott Linehan. For a moment or two, things looked better the following week but there were long stretches of time -- more than two quarters, to be exact -- where the team failed to score another touchdown against the New York Giants after delivering 10 points in their first two possessions. They hoped to carry that momentum into Seattle, but they instead reverted back to their impotent ways, and it feels like it's all wearing then on the usually-optimistic Jerry Jones.

He left without saying a word on Sept. 9 and only two weeks later, he'd speak on Linehan, but his words were blunt and unforgiving -- even if he remains defiant in taking a hardline stance on the future of veteran coach.

He'd end the comment with a glimmer of hope, but the overall temperature of the words are far colder than they have been over the offseason.

"There is no vote of confidence, no lack of confidence. There is no anything," said Jones, via Calvin Watkins of The Athletic. "We’re 1-2. We’re not hitting on all cylinders. I have a lot of confidence that we can get into games and hit on cylinders.

"We just got to come back and get to work."

That's certainly far from only a week ago when team executive Stephen Jones called legend and Hall of Famer Troy Aikman an "armchair quarterback" f0r criticizing the Cowboys' play calling as vanilla, but it's more clear than ever Aikman was onto something many who watch the Cowboys have long picked up on. There's something very wrong with how stalled the offense has become and their inability to get into the next gear, and despite a glimpse or two into the Promised Land of creativity shown in Week 2, they're now right back where they started on the back end
of the 2017 season.

A distinct refusal to utilize the dual-threat capacity of Dak Prescott certainly plays into it, as does the predictability in scheme and personnel set. Players need to step up and do their job, a point no one will readily dispute, but the downturn has now gone on long enough to warrant pointing a large finger at Linehan.

If this continues, the finger the elder Jones points at him won't be the index

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Good.

I hope they pile on Linehan to the point they fire him and Jerry puts the offense back in Garrett's hands.

He will be just as bad if not worse since he is the root cause of the offensive woes, and then it becomes impossible to defend him with both the team and the offense both fail under his watch.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Good.

I hope they pile on Linehan to the point they fire him and Jerry puts the offense back in Garrett's hands.

He will be just as bad if not worse since he is the root cause of the offensive woes, and then it becomes impossible to defend him with both the team and the offense both fail under his watch.
Seriously. Like Linehan isn’t running the precise offense that Garrett dictates.

This “offense”was Romo screaming “kill kill kill” and freelancing.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Seriously. Like Linehan isn’t running the precise offense that Garrett dictates.

This “offense”was Romo screaming “kill kill kill” and freelancing.
Yep the reason Linehan got the job was he was willing to use Garretts playbook/terminology, that and he wasnt a threat to take his job

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Good.

I know everyone is gonna take this as Garrett apologism, but I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Yeah, everyone thinks that Linehan came in here and made everything change and everything work when we were way too pass happy before his arrival; he of almost exclusively pass happy offenses and failed tenures, but it's clear that it was some mixture of Garrett and Linehan that made 2014 work.

Things are super flat and super stale right now. I am about as disgusted as I've been since the Wade days.

But if some responsibilities are taken away from Linehan, no one knows how that will change the formula. Maybe we go back to being pass happy? Maybe demanding an air-raid offense out of Dak, like we did out of Romo in 2012-13, is what we need to shake the cobwebs out? If nothing else, you will definitely admit, despite the revelation that 2014 and 2016 brought with running success, that success has been part of the genesis of our predictability. We got so good, so fast, at running the ball, it's like teams can guess that we're running on first down; and if not, then we run on second down. It's like 80% effective of a guess.

Maybe a jolt to that formula changes things for the better.

I'm not advocating anything, for anyone.

I'm just saying, if Garrett takes back the offense, we really don't entirely know at this moment how that will play out. Probably relatively similar, but you never know.

junk

Not So New Member
I always think, at some point, Garrett has to run out of scapegoats, but year after year he keeps finding them.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
At least if Garret took some responsibility for the way things were going it would at least feel honest.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
At least if Garret took some responsibility for the way things were going it would at least feel honest.
Well, if this is his choice, then he needs to step in and change it. If it's not, then he needs to take over and change it.

Cause if this offense continues to struggle to pass the ball like this there is no reason he needs to continue to be employed here. This is college level passing offense right here.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if Garrett fought for Linehan to keep the pressure off of himself. If this was an honest organization it would strip Linehan of his duties and put it on Garrett. Let him make or break it and suffer the consequences.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Well, if this is his choice, then he needs to step in and change it. If it's not, then he needs to take over and change it.

Cause if this offense continues to struggle to pass the ball like this there is no reason he needs to continue to be employed here. This is college level passing offense right here.
It’s not quite that sophisticated.

College offenses throw the ball more than 15 yards down the field.

Today, we did not. Not 1 single time, even by accident.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yep the reason Linehan got the job was he was willing to use Garretts playbook/terminology, that and he wasnt a threat to take his job
Right.

And I'm not saying Linehan is some genius who is being shackled or anything. But if you have a decent football IQ and have been watching the Cowboys for the last 10 years, then you can clearly see that we are still basically running Garrett's stale ass offense with a few wrinkles that Linehan threw in.

Why else do you think the years go by and people both in and out of the Cowboys organization make claims to how predictable it is?

What's the one constant?

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Right.

And I'm not saying Linehan is some genius who is being shackled or anything. But if you have a decent football IQ and have been watching the Cowboys for the last 10 years, then you can clearly see that we are still basically running Garrett's stale ass offense with a few wrinkles that Linehan threw in.

Why else do you think the years go by and people both in and out of the Cowboys organization make claims to how predictive it is?

What's the one constant?
It's been driving me crazy since some of the Cowboys beat guys that have been here for awhile act like this is a new development and just blame Linehan, they all reported when Linehan was hired he had to use Garretts playbook but now that someone's head needs chopping they have amnesia about that

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's going to be truly disgusting if they use Linehan as the scapegoat to keep dumbass Garrett around another year.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
It's going to be truly disgusting if they use Linehan as the scapegoat to keep dumbass Garrett around another year.
In Linehan, they've found their perfect patsy.

Jerry: I won't blame your coaching if you don't blame my horseshit talent acquisition.

Jason: Deal!

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Which is why you need to hope for more terrible offensive football so that they force a change and it leaves Garrett to lead the way for most of the year.

If the offense continues to sputter (and it will), then you can't use him as a scapegoat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Shit. That is a foregone conclusion. Garrett is Teflon.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
No, Garrett is toast if we don't make the playoffs. The fans are going apeshit.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No, Garrett is toast if we don't make the playoffs. The fans are going apeshit.
Not making the playoffs isn't enough.

They have to have an awful season....but the good news is that they are well on their way to having just that.

Top Bottom