Jaylon Smith Watch Thread...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The higher off the ground your foot is the more time you have to change where your foot is pointed before it hits the ground. This takes more steps to go the same distance, but reduces torque on your leg. I don't know, maybe he just has long legs.

Look how stiff he appears on the 2nd and 4 play where he knifes ahead and Gore cuts inside. It takes an extra step or two for Smith to cut to his right, and he ends up taking more of a circular path to pursue the play.

If he's fully healthy I think he makes that cut in fewer steps.
Seems like a decent analysis. Sometimes I feel like I am unfairly comparing him to corners or safeties in his movement since I tend to watch them more. Those guys are just more agile because they are smaller. Jaylon still reminds me of Bray James a bit with a bit more amped up straight line explosion but then can't break down that well at full speed.

Looking at highlights of Jaylon in college, he moves like a defensive back. He was also less bulky so that may be part of it.

With his limitations, I doubt he'll be a star unless his leg continues to improve. But there is always hope he will continue to improve.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jason: Time to make a statement to the press about one of my players
Jerry: Hold my beer

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would hope so. I mean he is at minimum our backup MLBer and should be able to be a big time special teams player.

Top Bottom