Jaylon Smith Watch Thread...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm really glad he says he's feeling better. I think everyone is rooting for this kid.

Hell, you watch his reaction to being drafted and even the Mara family and NFL investigators would be moved.

So the glowing reports don't surprise me.

I just can't wait to see him do something outside of a drill.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm really glad he says he's feeling better. I think everyone is rooting for this kid.

Hell, you watch his reaction to being drafted and even the Mara family and NFL investigators would be moved.

So the glowing reports don't surprise me.

I just can't wait to see him do something outside of a drill.
Didn't you say that about him just practicing?

townsend

Banned
Have to keep moving the target
I mean anybody who's never played in the league is going to have to prove themselves. Even if Jaylon wasnt recovering from a horrible injury we'd still be wondering if his camp performance would translate to the regular season. Even after Demarcus Ware or Dak Prescott came out and had jaw dropping rookie preseason performances, there were still doubts.

People just need to admit that the goal post is in the regular season, and everything else is questionable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean anybody who's never played in the league is going to have to prove themselves. Even if Jaylon wasnt recovering from a horrible injury we'd still be wondering if his camp performance would translate to the regular season. Even after Demarcus Ware or Dak Prescott came out and had jaw dropping rookie preseason performances, there were still doubts.

People just need to admit that the goal post is in the regular season, and everything else is questionable.
Yeah it's like I told Ravi, there are two discussions. The discussion about health and a discussion about talent. We are pretty close to being able to move past the health argument. That one he has all but proved the doubters wrong.

The next discussion is going to be about his actual talent, something we won't know until real games hit. Top 10 talents bust all the time. So there is no guarantee with Jaylon but all signs are good for now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah it's like I told Ravi, there are two discussions. The discussion about health and a discussion about talent. We are pretty close to being able to move past the health argument. That one he has all but proved the doubters wrong.

The next discussion is going to be about his actual talent, something we won't know until real games hit. Top 10 talents bust all the time. So there is no guarantee with Jaylon but all signs are good for now.
Yep all that's left is to see him play. Don't know when however.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
See this is where you're stretching, he's NOT proven a thing regarding his health.

He's still in a controlled environment and still wearing a brace.

What have you seen or heard that's different than any of the self-recorded twitter feeds he had before?

In these "amazing" practices he's apparently dominating, has there been a full speed session with anything close to live hitting?

Let's see those hits, penetrations, and full speed chases. That happens all the time in full-pad sessions, but I have yet to see Jaylon doing any of that yet.

I don't want to read "glowing reports". Those are almost always BS.

This is going to take time. He's a long way from healthy.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
See this is where you're stretching, he's NOT proven a thing regarding his health.

He's still in a controlled environment and still wearing a brace.

What have you seen or heard that's different than any of the self-recorded twitter feeds he had before?

In these "amazing" practices he's apparently dominating, has there been a full speed session with anything close to live hitting?

Let's see those hits, penetrations, and full speed chases. That happens all the time in full-pad sessions, but I have yet to see Jaylon doing any of that yet.

I don't want to read "glowing reports". Those are almost always BS.

This is going to take time. He's a long way from healthy.
I don't know how far he is from being healthy but I'm not paying much attention to all of these fluff pieces about how well he's progressing because it's not as though the team is going to say much of anything negative about the whole process. They have to justify spending a high second round pick just outside of the first round on someone who is basically an injured project with some potential.

I dang sure am not going to go by a few short highlight clips from his first NFL training camp or the clips that he posts on Twitter working out.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Spagnola: Step-By-Step Return Of The ‘Real Deal’ No Longer Far-Fetched
Wednesday, August 02, 2017 5:38 PM CDT
By Mickey Spagnola

OXNARD, Calif. – You guys know me, just don’t catch me jumping to conclusions. Never been one of those guys needing to be the first one on the block to have …

I’d rather be right than first. Little hyperbole, too.

So, let’s qualify this: The Cowboys have only been in camp a little more than a week. Eight full practice sessions, not counting the walk-throughs. Only six of those eight in pads before jetting off on Wednesday to Cleveland to play in Thursday night’s Pro Football Hall of Fame preseason game against the Arizona Cardinals.

In other words, it’s early. Got a long way to go before opening the season on Sept. 10 against the New York Giants.

But from what I saw on Saturday and Sunday, and then again on Tuesday, in pads, these Dallas Cowboys have every right so far to be highly encouraged by the progress Jaylon Smith is making. Highly, I say.

Now, it’s one thing for Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett to say, “I think he’s getting better and better. He’s very active, around the ball the ball a lot. He’s moving better and has done a really good job with the work we’ve given him.”

Though notice Garrett measures his words each time he has spoken about Jaylon. He didn’t say the second-year linebacker recovering from that severe knee injury, one including a torn ACL along with damage to his peroneal nerve that has caused him lingering drop foot, will be ready to start at middle linebacker in the season opener. He didn’t say the charismatic Smith will even be ready to play in that season opener.

Just says he’s getting better and better, subtly cautioning everyone else not to get too far ahead of themselves with these far-out projections for a guy who has not played in a football game since Jan. 1, 2016. Why, he took part in his first padded practice since the injury on July 26, as pointed out to him 572 days since he last had put the pads on. A total of eight whole snaps in team drills. Then, after two consecutive days off, he participated in back-to-back padded practices over the weekend before given a day to rest on Monday. But he was back out there on Tuesday.

And as I’ve said after that first padded practice, Jaylon Smith looked like a guy who had not played actual football in 572 days.

But Saturday was different. So was Sunday. So was Tuesday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was not blowing smoke at you when he said of the Cowboys’ 2016 second-round draft choice, “Saw more explosion, and that can be more confidence.”

Hey, anyone would have been a tad hesitant after not playing football in pads for so long, especially since returning from the horrific knee injury while trying to still play through drop foot. Probably experiencing, as Bill Parcells would say, “a little toe-dipping.” You know, testing to see if the water is warm enough to swim in. Hey, this is big-boy football out here.

But on Saturday, well … let’s gain some perspective this way. Long-time acquaintance Dave McGinnis was at practice. We go back to 1977, his last year as a defensive backs coach at the University of Missouri when I was a young newspaper reporter in Columbia, Mo. You might recognize the name, McGinnis, former head coach of the Arizona Cardinals for three and a half seasons (2000-2003) after serving as their defensive coordinator for the previous four and a half years. He last served as Jeff Fisher’s assistant head coach with the Rams from 2012-16.

McGinnis, from Snyder, Texas, having played his college ball at TCU, came out to practice on Saturday. We were catching up when the Cowboys went into a team drill, 11-on-11, when the second-team defense came in.

And I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time. Find someone who didn’t know who 54 was, didn’t know he was the guy trying to make the unprecedented recovery from peroneal nerve damage to resume playing football at the NFL level.

“Hey Dave, do me a favor. Tell me what you think of 54 out there at middle linebacker,” I told him. No name. Just number.

He watched a play or two. His eyes lit up after watching 54’s movement. And it dawned on him: “Is that Jaylon Smith?”

Sure is.

Then came the play that caught everyone’s eye. Smith moved left on a running play, shot through a gap to make the would-be tackle at the line of scrimmage, his best, most encouraging play of camp. No hesitation. No noticeable limp. Pow.

“If I were coaching him, I’d be ecstatic,” said McGinnis, knowing where the kid had been at Notre Dame and what’s he’s trying to overcome. “That’s the real deal, went downhill and closed. He’s the real deal.”

To me, that means the kid has a chance. A real chance. Now, how long it takes, no one knows for sure. But as I’ve been saying, all signs have been encouraging after he missed all of last season rehabbing and praying that damaged nerve regenerates. Darn thing is beginning to.

Maybe the guy pulling hardest for Jaylon is Cowboys lead physician Dr. Dan Cooper, who performed the surgery on the linebacker, not knowing at the time the Cowboys would end up gambling a second-round pick on him. He’s been here for the past four practices. He, too, is encouraged by the progress, though obviously optimistic over Jaylon’s chances to play football again when the Cowboys thoroughly consulted him before making the investment many snickered at last year.

Well, Smith is making incremental progress, and the Cowboys sent him out there on Tuesday to participate on the goal-line defense with the second team. He mixed it up pretty well on the four or so plays. And on one, ostensibly a first-and-goal play from the 1-yard line, Jaylon nailed the ball carrier at the goal line. Again, coming downhill.

Still, step by step. The Cowboys are in no rush to push Smith at a reckless pace. They are not desperate at middle linebacker, and last year’s starter, Anthony Hitchens, has been reminding them of that since the start of camp, seemingly ready to improve himself on the fine season he had in 2016.

Plus, let’s remember just how young Smith is. I had forgotten, but he came out a year early. He just turned 22 on June 14. The Cowboys will treat him as the precious commodity he is. That’s why there would be no reason after just these handful of padded practices (four) to send him out there Thursday night in the first of five preseason games. There is plenty of time. So, don’t be disappointed or grow worrisome over his anticipated inactivity against the Cardinals.

As Garrett continually reminds, the team has a plan for Jaylon Smith, and hurry-up is not part of it. Patience indeed will be a virtue, too, in this case.

“You’re seeing what we’re seeing,” Jones said on Tuesday. “We’re seeing progress.”

And being involved in a full-contact tackling drill was the next step. Remember, this isn’t easy. Returning to the football field after such a long absence is nothing like riding a bicycle. Especially playing middle linebacker in the NFL. Especially since that nerve has not yet come close to totally regenerating. Especially since he still wears the brace that bends his foot upwards to counter the drop foot.

But after just the first week of training camp, tangible evidence has realistic hope gurgling through that initial pessimism expressed by those suggesting the Cowboys were crazy to take this chance in the second round.

Heck, even an outsider could see that Jaylon Smith has a chance to still be the real deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how far he is from being healthy but I'm not paying much attention to all of these fluff pieces about how well he's progressing because it's not as though the team is going to say much of anything negative about the whole process. They have to justify spending a high second round pick just outside of the first round on someone who is basically an injured project with some potential.

I dang sure am not going to go by a few short highlight clips from his first NFL training camp or the clips that he posts on Twitter working out.
And the stuff written by outlets like ESPN and other sites from what they saw? If you think they only write positive stuff about the Cowboys then I have a pocket full of magic beans to sell you. It's like people go full retard about trying to be negative (or maybe it's just to hard for some to admit they were wrong about the injury). Training camp is open to the media. The practices are available for everyone to see. Jaylon is practicing in the full speed, live contact stuff. It's pretty sad that everyone else is able to see it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cowboys say Jaylon Smith healthy enough to play in game; debut could come Saturday in Los Angeles

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Cowboys haven't determined if Jaylon Smith will make his preseason debut Saturday night against the Los Angeles Rams. The final decision will come down to how he feels later in the week.

Smith practiced in pads again on Monday. He's participated in five of the team's seven padded-practices in camp, working in individual and team drills as the second-team middle linebacker.

His progression has reached a point where executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday that Smith is healthy enough to play in a game.

"I think his baseline health is at a point where he could play, it's just getting him in that football shape and doing things the right way," Jones said. "I think Jaylon's going to be around here the next 10 years. We don't want to do anything that's not taking care of Jaylon."

Jaylon Smith breaking on the ball pic.twitter.com/ZwFdquNa2V
— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) August 8, 2017

Jones mentioned Smith while naming a few players who have caught his eye throughout the first nine days of practices. Jones also said Smith crossed a "major" hurdle last week when he took part in goal-line drills.

Stephen Jones asked about players that have stood out in camp so far: Jaylon Smith, Chidobe Awuzie, Charles Tapper, Noah Brown, Andy Jones

"We're just seeing how he progresses," Jones said. "No need to jump ahead and make a decision whether it's this week or next week or whatever it may be. The big thing about Jaylon so far is it seems to be better every time he goes out there. He's more and more comfortable with it. At the same time, if you left it up to him, he would've been going every play out there during the Hall of Fame game [Thursday night].

"So we got to protect Jaylon, at the end of the day, from Jaylon. He's going to be around here for many, many years to come and we got to handle this the right way for him."
Monday injury report

vince

Not So New Member
Cowboys say Jaylon Smith healthy enough to play in game; debut could come Saturday in Los Angeles

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Cowboys haven't determined if Jaylon Smith will make his preseason debut Saturday night against the Los Angeles Rams. The final decision will come down to how he feels later in the week.

Smith practiced in pads again on Monday. He's participated in five of the team's seven padded-practices in camp, working in individual and team drills as the second-team middle linebacker.

His progression has reached a point where executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday that Smith is healthy enough to play in a game.

"I think his baseline health is at a point where he could play, it's just getting him in that football shape and doing things the right way," Jones said. "I think Jaylon's going to be around here the next 10 years. We don't want to do anything that's not taking care of Jaylon."

Jaylon Smith breaking on the ball pic.twitter.com/ZwFdquNa2V

Jones mentioned Smith while naming a few players who have caught his eye throughout the first nine days of practices. Jones also said Smith crossed a "major" hurdle last week when he took part in goal-line drills.

Stephen Jones asked about players that have stood out in camp so far: Jaylon Smith, Chidobe Awuzie, Charles Tapper, Noah Brown, Andy Jones

"We're just seeing how he progresses," Jones said. "No need to jump ahead and make a decision whether it's this week or next week or whatever it may be. The big thing about Jaylon so far is it seems to be better every time he goes out there. He's more and more comfortable with it. At the same time, if you left it up to him, he would've been going every play out there during the Hall of Fame game [Thursday night].

"So we got to protect Jaylon, at the end of the day, from Jaylon. He's going to be around here for many, many years to come and we got to handle this the right way for him."
Monday injury report
Jaylon is not playing this weekend.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jaylon is not playing this weekend.
I don't really want to go listen to the whole thing again, but I'm almost positive Jerry said in the opening PC that the purpose of this camp was to get the backups ready to play... meaning to protect starters from injury.

I think they see Smith as a starter so I bet he barely plays any until the real games start.

vince

Not So New Member
I don't really want to go listen to the whole thing again, but I'm almost positive Jerry said in the opening PC that the purpose of this camp was to get the backups ready to play... meaning to protect starters from injury.

I think they see Smith as a starter so I bet he barely plays any until the real games start.
That's stupid thinking on the coaches' parts. I get protecting your player, but this kid needs to see the field before the real games.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Yep.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Jason Garrett: Jaylon Smith will 'absolutely' play in preseason
This is exactly what Dallas Cowboys fans wanted to hear about the touted LB.

Patrik Walker - 81 minutes ago

Jaylon Smith is coming.

Speaking from Oxnard, CA as the Dallas Cowboys prepare for their 10th practice of training camp, head coach Jason Garrett is firm in that the redshirt linebacker will definitely hit the field at some point in August. The team is still being very cautious with their 34th overall pick, sitting him in the Hall of Fame game to open the preseason.

They've yet to declare if he'll see time this Saturday against the Los Angeles Rams, but aren't denying he'll be on an NFL near you soon enough.

"Absolutely," said Garrett definitively when asked to weigh in on the probability, via Mike Leslie of WFAA.

Few are champing at the bit harder than quarterback Dak Prescott, who spoke on just how elated he is at the thought of Smith joining them on the gridiron. The 2016 NFL Rookie of the Year took to the podium to speak on everything from Justin Timberlake's performance at Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame bonanza to legendary quarterback Roger Staubach, but what he said about the redshirt linebacker out of Notre Dame was the most telling of all.

Simply put, Prescott can't wait to see what Smith can do in a game -- seeing as he's routinely dominated in practice thus far.

"First and foremost, you just watch him and the way he flies around and he's at the ball every play," said Prescott. "He's smart. He's right there on [All-Pro linebacker] Sean Lee's hip learning everything he can. And it means a lot to me because we came in together, and that whole rookie class -- we're tight, so I pull for a guy like Jaylon as I hope everyone on this team and organization does.

"I'm excited to see him in a game."

Smith hasn't played in a football game since going down in the 2015-16 Fiesta Bowl with a devastating knee injury that tore his ACL and MCL, while severely damaging the nerve in his knee. Once told he'd likely never play again, he's battled back to become the headline story in Cowboys' camp a mere 18 months later.

All signs point north for Smith, which means they inherently point south for Cowboys' opponents this season.

Top Bottom