Jaylon Smith starting? lol

p1_

DCC 4Life
He's now forced into duty, more than he should be perhaps. Who's to say of it's good or bad for him to be playing this much at this stage. Time will tell if he regains form, and today, Im willing to show some patience. But that means that Sean Lee and Hutchens have to be healthy, the rest are trash.

GShock

DCC 4Life

GShock

DCC 4Life

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He has all the hallmarks of a player who should be replaced but won't be due to Jerry's fondness for him.

Nothing Jerry loves more than his pet projects he rehabs from injury or poor background.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He has all the hallmarks of a player who should be replaced but won't be due to Jerry's fondness for him.

Nothing Jerry loves more than his pet projects he rehabs from injury or poor background.
Normally I would agree with you, but in this instance it's a little different.

This guy has a grand total of 4 games under his belt and he's coming off a major injury and an entire year of no football.

We have to give him at least a season and a half before we can make that determination on him. And the only way he gets both stronger and more acclimated to live play is by playing.

It does us no good to bench him now.....especially considering that we don't have any worth a damn to put in his place anyway.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

This guy has a grand total of 4 games under his belt and he's coming off a major injury and an entire year of no football.

We have to give him at least a season and a half before we can make that determination on him.
Oh, I agree on that. Way too early to say he'll never be able improve -- and maybe improve a great deal.

But if he doesn't get any better and he's on that edge where he can play but not play very well, I think it will be very hard for this coaching staff to replace him. Compare to a Belichick or Reid or many other coaches who are ruthlessly efficient when making these decisions.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Oh, I agree on that. Way too early to say he'll never be able improve -- and maybe improve a great deal.

But if he doesn't get any better and he's on that edge where he can play but not play very well, I think it will be very hard for this coaching staff to replace him. Compare to a Belichick or Reid or many other coaches who are ruthlessly efficient when making these decisions.
Like I said, generally speaking, I agree with what you said.

We are really bad at playing guys who shouldn't be playing because we don't know how to cut our ties. Most times, we have a better option available at the same position and that's what makes it more frustrating.

But this time around we're dealing with a guy who is very very early into his career, and we don't really have anything in terms of depth that would be a better option.

That's why in this particular instance, I keep going with the young guy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

We have to give him at least a season and a half before we can make that determination on him. And the only way he gets both stronger and more acclimated to live play is by playing.

It does us no good to bench him now.....especially considering that we don't have any worth a damn to put in his place anyway.
I dunno about that, how do rookies earn their playing time? They aren't all inserted into the lineup.

He can get better via practice.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I dunno about that, how do rookies earn their playing time? They aren't all inserted into the lineup.

He can get better via practice.
Yea, but if ever a guy needed live action experience, it's him.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Seems kinda trivial today.

Most of us bashing a kid, barely playing on two legs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
10 yards.....damn!

I knew he wasn't playing well but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I just don't like giving him a free pass while he heals up. Right now he's clearly hurting the team and is costing us games......not by himself obviously, but you get what I'm saying.

I hope once Hitchens and Lee are back we reduce his role to spot duty until he's shown that he's mentally and physically capable of providing a better effort. Because tackling people 10 yards down field is unacceptable. We're trying to win football games here not make feel good Disney movies.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I was drunk and pissed off for losing a game we never should have lost. As I said in the original post, I love the kid, and in a couple of years maybe he's all the way back and ballin'. In no way am I blaming him for how he's playing. It's miraculous he's even able to run. I was just trying to point out that we need to possibly find someone else to play there: an out of work vet lb or even an inexperienced player that is healthier...obviously no one was expecting him to have to play this much, but the team needs to adapt and address the situation so they can use him more sparingly at this time.

Anyway, didn't mean to offend anyone or dog the kid, he doesn't deserve that. I'm sorry.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just don't like giving him a free pass while he heals up. Right now he's clearly hurting the team and is costing us games......not by himself obviously, but you get what I'm saying.

I hope once Hitchens and Lee are back we reduce his role to spot duty until he's shown that he's mentally and physically capable of providing a better effort. Because tackling people 10 yards down field is unacceptable. We're trying to win football games here not make feel good Disney movies.
Yep. Taking responsibility for bad play is a huge part of being a starter.

No starter should get kid gloves treatment.

p1_

DCC 4Life
i believe Hitchens is close to being ready to come back. Plus we get Irving back too. Someone opposite DLaw finally.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
10 yards.....damn!

I knew he wasn't playing well but I didn't think it was THAT bad.
So is it better to make a tackle 10 yards down field or not make a tackle at all? Obviously I'd rather it be at the line of scrimage but what exactly are all the other shits doing on the field while Jaylon is making that tackle 10 yards down field?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
So is it better to make a tackle 10 yards down field or not make a tackle at all? Obviously I'd rather it be at the line of scrimage but what exactly are all the other shits doing on the field while Jaylon is making that tackle 10 yards down field?
I think the suspicion is that Jaylon isn't filling the holes that form in the O-line and instead is having to fight off blocks and chase down the RB. Lee avoids the block and fills the hole. That's why he's an All Pro.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the suspicion is that Jaylon isn't filling the holes that form in the O-line and instead is having to fight off blocks and chase down the RB. Lee avoids the block and fills the hole. That's why he's an All Pro.
What I'm saying is that Jaylon isn't the only LBer on the field. So while everyone is busy ripping him a new one I'm wondering why those other LBers weren't making tackles.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What I'm saying is that Jaylon isn't the only LBer on the field. So while everyone is busy ripping him a new one I'm wondering why those other LBers weren't making tackles.
He is getting attention because he was highly touted and was sold as being ready to play at a high level. That was never my assessment but it was how he was billed and made to expect big things. I was in a wait and see mode myself.

Top Bottom