Interest in Navarro Bowman

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Schefter is saying he's agreed to a 1 year $3M deal with Oakland.

It was fun to dream. Back to reality.
Yeah, the complete reality that honestly, we suck at the free agent game. Hard.

I get that Bowman might not want to uproot his family and what not, but this is not the first time we were second in line to visit with a guy and lost them.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah, the complete reality that honestly, we suck at the free agent game. Hard.

I get that Bowman might not want to uproot his family and what not, but this is not the first time we were second in line to visit with a guy and lost them.
when its just 1 year and its the team across town, it makes sense. Im sure we didn't consider something higher and or longer, thank God, or he might have bitten.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Not going to be upset with this one because the guy wanted to be in Oakland. It would be one thing if we were the first visit but I seriously doubt he was even really considering anything but Oakland.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not going to be upset with this one because the guy wanted to be in Oakland. It would be one thing if we were the first visit but I seriously doubt he was even really considering anything but Oakland.
Apparently, we're supposed to be gnashing our teeth right about now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Thing is, when is the last time we were a first visit?

Oh yeah, we got Nolan Carroll and Stephen Paea. We rule at free agency. Jerry always gets his man.

vince

Not So New Member
Per Dallascowboys.com, he was supposed to visit the Cowboys after visiting with the Raiders.

Rev

Staff member
Thing is, when is the last time we were a first visit?

Oh yeah, we got Nolan Carroll and Stephen Paea. We rule at free agency. Jerry always gets his man.
Any other player I would agree with you but I just dont see how he would have even come to Dallas first. I just believe he had tunnel vision for Oakland and nothing was going to deter him. Thats how much I think Oakland was a foregone conclusion if they had a spot for him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Any other player I would agree with you but I just dont see how he would have even come to Dallas first. I just believe he had tunnel vision for Oakland and nothing was going to deter him. Thats how much I think Oakland was a foregone conclusion if they had a spot for him.
So why schedule a visit with Dallas at all?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No clue other than an option in case Oakland didnt want?
That's what I'm thinking.

Unless they just completely low-balled him or or failed to make much of an impression on him, then that was where he was going to sign all along.

But generally speaking, I do agree with [MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION]. We have been very underwhelming in recent years when it comes to attracting players. We used to be at the forefront of this and now we kind of suck at it.

Yes, I know we've changed our approach in regards to spending money in the free agency market, but it's not just about that. Remember when we missed out on Eric Weddle and he ended up signing with Baltimore instead?

That's just one of several instances in recent years where we took a half-assed approach at a potential target and treated them as a second-class citizen and it resulted in him signing elsewhere.

I understand that the guys that we have shown interest in haven't exactly been an Eric Berry or a Julio Jones type, but you're not going to sign any player of quality if you act like they're the ones who should be happy to see you instead of the other way around.

I don't know if it's a team effort or if it's one individual who's responsible for the first impression and setting up the logistics of the meeting, but whoever is responsible is not doing a good job at all.

We definitely need to improve a lot when it comes to free agent relations.

Rev

Staff member
We have been bad in FA for awhile. I just dont think we had a chance to be bad in this case.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Chris Long stood up Garrett. I guess he just wanted to play in NE.

If anything, it bugs me this franchise is not a destination.

Rev

Staff member

Thats what happens when you become irrelevant for 20+ years.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

And that's what bothers me too.

We aren't the destination we used to be and some of that is due to the fact that we haven't won shit in a long time. But some of that is also due to a false sense of entitlement as well.

Jerry can still sweet talk with the best of them. If he really wants a guy I'm sure he'll find a way to at least make the offer very appealing. The problem that I'm seeing is that our initial effort to reach out to these guys is very underwhelming. Like you said, rarely are we the first visit these days and you just don't get the impression that we're really doing all we can to bring a guy in.

I don't know if that's due to us being lazy or because we have this false sense of reality where the Cowboys brand alone is enough to do most of the work for us.

Whatever it is, it needs to change.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
And that's what bothers me too.

We aren't the destination we used to be and some of that is due to the fact that we haven't won shit in a long time. But some of that is also due to a false sense of entitlement as well.

Jerry can still sweet talk with the best of them. If he really wants a guy I'm sure he'll find a way to at least make the offer very appealing. The problem that I'm seeing is that our initial effort to reach out to these guys is very underwhelming. Like you said, rarely are we the first visit these days and you just don't get the impression that we're really doing all we can to bring a guy in.

I don't know if that's due to us being lazy or because we have this false sense of reality where the Cowboys brand alone is enough to do most of the work for us.

Whatever it is, it needs to change.
Isn't Oakland pretty close to San Fransisco, you know, geographically? That likely factored...

Top Bottom