Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys should proceed with caution on NaVorro Bowman
11:26 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- On the face of it if given the chance to add a four-time All-Pro, three-time Pro Bowler who is not yet 30 would seem to be an easy decision for the Dallas Cowboys.

They are scheduled to meet with Bowman if he does not reach a deal with the Oakland Raiders first. Bowman's resume is impressive. His background is impressive. He falls in line with the "right kind of guy" message Jason Garrett prattles on about. From all accounts, he is a professional.

Since the Cowboys play San Francisco this week, his addition would add another plot to the storyline.

Why would there be any hold up?

Well, money and injury come to mind.

How much money will Bowman want? The Cowboys don't have any cap issues to add a player like Bowman, but do they want to make a multi-year commitment to him? It might make sense for him to play out the season on a one-year deal, perhaps perform well and then hit the open market next March.

Bowman has had two serious injuries. He missed the 2014 season because of torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments suffered during the NFC Championship Game against the Seattle Seahawks. He suffered a torn Achilles last season against the Cowboys.

He played in the 49ers' first five games and was credited with 38 tackles, but they were ready to move on even with rookie Reuben Foster not fully healthy.

Bowman had been in a 3-4 system for his entire career until this season when San Francisco switched to a scheme that is similar what the Cowboys run.

One of the issues the Cowboys have had, especially in Sean Lee's absence, is their linebackers in coverage. The Los Angeles Rams went after Jaylon Smith in coverage with a lot of success. The absence of Lee is a big reason for the Cowboys' struggles against the run the past two games, with Todd Gurley and Aaron Jones rushing for more than 100 yards.

Lee should return this week when the Cowboys play Bowman's former team, San Francisco.

The Cowboys have expressed faith in Smith, who did not play last season as a rookie because of a serious knee injury, Anthony Hitchens, who missed the first four games with a knee injury, and veteran Justin Durant.

That they were looking at Bowman could just be a sign of due diligence, but also some unrest in their feelings. Hitchens has been a steady performer since coming to the Cowboys. He should have more than one game to show whether he can return to the form that led him to two 100-tackle seasons, according to the coaches' count, in his first three years. It's apparent Smith needs time to be an every-down player.

The Cowboys have to answer whether they will be paying for Bowman's past performance or what they hope he can do for the remaining 11 games. Is he still a Pro Bowl performer in a bad situation or is he a part-time player at this point of his career?

The best answer is to proceed with caution.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Mike Freeman is another one that has me blocked. I can't even remember what for with him.
I got blocked by Bomani Jones back in January just because I used the same condescending tone on him that he uses the majority of the time .

It was something silly too. No name calling, cursing, or anything. I made a comment that an opinion of his wasn't a hot take, or something to that nature. He asks, "do you even know what a hot take is?" My response was something like, "sure do, sport". That was it.

Apparently he's a thin-skinned bitch who thinks condescending remarks are only allowed to go one way.

It literally took me 2 months to realize that he'd blocked me. That's how little I care for him or is content.

Cotton

Staff member
I got blocked by Bomani Jones back in January just because I used the same condescending tone on him that he uses the majority of the time .

It was something silly too. No name calling, cursing, or anything. I made a comment that an opinion of his wasn't a hot take, or something to that nature. He asks, "do you even know what a hot take is?" My response was something like, "sure do, sport". That was it.

Apparently he's a thin-skinned bitch who thinks condescending remarks are only allowed to go one way.

It literally took me 2 months to realize that he'd blocked me. That's how little I care for him or is content.
Yeah, I unfollowed him a long time ago. He brought jack shit to my TL. Plus, he's a pompous bastard.

Cotton

Staff member
FYI, the "Sure do, sport" made me lol. Next time Smitty asks, "Do you even watch the games?" I'm going to drop that mofo on him, and he will never recover.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
FYI, the "Sure do, sport" made me lol. Next time Smitty asks, "Do you even watch the games?" I'm going to drop that mofo on him, and he will never recover.
When was the last time I asked that?

Cotton

Staff member

vince

Not So New Member
Time to close the thread. Done and done.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Time to close the thread. Done and done.
That would be incredibly dumb, and for Jerry, that is saying something.

I would sign Charles fucking Manson to play MLB if he can tackle better than Jaylon Smith.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't help but figure what is coming out of the comments by the writers is a direct mirror to how the team feels. In other words, they are "cautious". Meaning chicken shit.

Cotton

Staff member
That would be incredibly dumb, and for Jerry, that is saying something.

I would sign Charles fucking Manson to play MLB if he can tackle better than Jaylon Smith.
Yep and yep.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't help but figure what is coming out of the comments by the writers is a direct mirror to how the team feels. In other words, they are "cautious". Meaning chicken shit.
I think the Dallas writers have become so accustomed to us not signing anyone of relevance that they have these excuse articles already written and ready to go. Just a new name on a different day.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think the Dallas writers have become so accustomed to us not signing anyone of relevance that they have these excuse articles already written and ready to go. Just a new name on a different day.
Hey, if they want to be right, it makes sense.

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Schefter is saying he's agreed to a 1 year $3M deal with Oakland.

It was fun to dream. Back to reality.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Top Bottom