If We Cut Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean I think their logic is stupid. If it works and they at least are able to trade him or get a reduced price I'll prop the Cowboys. But instead it feels more like they are boxing themselves in a corner and teams will just wait for him to be released. And Cooper meantime gets offended and knows if he gets cut he will likely get a signing bonus big enough to make even more money in the short term.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There’s an argument to be made that if they do this, it is intentional to tank for Payton.
I don't follow.

Why would they tank only to have the job become even less unattractive?

At least with the Saints, Loomis did not make it a practice to gut the team because he got confused by the math.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I don't follow.

Why would they tank only to have the job become even less unattractive?

At least with the Saints, Loomis did not make it a practice to gut the team because he got confused by the math.
Justifies canning McCarthy and gives Payton high picks to form his team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And frees up cap for future years that we won't spend...

I like Lawrence but I'm less concerned with him than Cooper.
Lawrence should have been the first bad contract to go after.

He should never have been paid like an elite rusher.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lawrence should have been the first bad contract to go after.

He should never have been paid like an elite rusher.
We cut Lawrence and I go, eh we aren't any worse than last year. And next season he counts like 29 mil against the cap and we save that from happening.

We cut Cooper and I see no way we aren't a worse team for it. We would literally have to nail some draft pick just to tread water.

It makes no sense to me.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We cut Lawrence and I go, eh we aren't any worse than last year. And next season he counts like 29 mil against the cap and we save that from happening.

We cut Cooper and I see no way we aren't a worse team for it. We would literally have to nail some draft pick just to tread water.

It makes no sense to me.

I agree except cutting Lawrence makes pass rusher an immediate need in the draft. And it puts them between a rock and a hard place with Gregory. There's no option to let Gregory walk if Lawrence is gone, even if it means severely overpaying.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree except cutting Lawrence makes pass rusher an immediate need in the draft. And it puts them between a rock and a hard place with Gregory. There's no option to let Gregory walk if Lawrence is gone, even if it means severely overpaying.
I think we need Gregory back regardless is sort of the sad fact of it. And this draft is packed with DEs. I think most of us are on board with drafting a DE even in the first. So it's far less of a concern for me. I love Lawrence when he is healthy but he feels like he won't ever be healthy again. I hope he will but the guy is 27 mil against the cap and 29 mil next year.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Cooper hasn’t done himself any favors by not performing well on the road, not getting vaccinated (it’s his choice, I understand and support that), and the nagging injury bug. But he’s still the best WR on the team regardless. Unfortunately it looks like Jones is butt hurt and has decided to take his ball and go home so Cooper is likely gone.

We have idiots running this team, two bumblefucks who run the team on little more luck and knowledge than you get throwing darts at a board.

A real GM probably negotiates out a restructured deal with performance escalators and keeps our #1 WR all while solidifying the #1 we gave up to get him.

But not these backwoods wanna-be football minds. They can’t negotiate anything.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Oh, you mean similar to Jerry negotiating against himself? Whew, I mean we are damn lucky to have a guy who can perform 3 different roles in this organization.
:loud laughter from the room:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm getting lost on which thread to put these in but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom