If We Cut Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What would justify it in your mind?

To me it'd be complete lunacy to cut him just so we can do our usual song and dance in FA, re-sign Gregory/Gallup/Schultz/Kearse, etc., plus a few random Olawale's, and then look to replace him in the 1st or 2nd round.

Spending another 1st on a WR who will likely never be equal to, let alone better than Cooper, when we should be looking to build more around the running game/defense as opposed to Prescott and the passing game, would be one of the dumbest moves this team has made in years. And that's obviously saying something.

I do think there's a scenario where it makes sense though, and it'd have to be one where we actually sign a legitimate high-caliber FA (or two) that strengthens either the OL/running game or the defense.

The OL FA class isn't particularly impressive, there are some solid interior guys like Austin Corbett and Ryan Jensen, but I don't think any are true difference makers who I'd want us spending a sizable chunk (~10-15/year) of cap space on.

But defensively there are a handful of guys who I think could be difference makers and help push the defense to the next level where we could ride them to Super Bowl contention around a more defense-oriented approach:

Marcus Williams
Harold Landry
Jessie Bates
Haason Reddick
Uchenna Nwosu

Or maybe instead of signing one of these guys for ~12-14/year, you sign two mid-tier guys (i.e. Rasheem Green, Larry Ogunjobi, BJ Hill, Malik Reed, Akiem Hicks, Kyzir White, Marcus Maye, etc.) for ~6-7/year each.

To be clear, this would be in addition to re-signing Gregory, Kearse, Anger, Gallup, and either Wilson or Schultz. Signing Landry and Gregory would obviously be going very heavy on edge rush, but the idea is to build a dominant unit that we could ride deep into the playoffs with an average to above average offense. Plus, Lawrence could be out the door in 2023 anyway.

Also to be clear, I don't think there's any chance this happens even if we do cut Cooper, it would just be the only scenario where I would actually be supportive of the move.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only rational reason is to get the space to use on difference makers, not weakening the team at the same time using his money to keep the band together with the same players who exited again in the first round of the playoffs.

Cut him, we are elevating WR to the top of the needs list. Better have a solid plan because nobody is going to give up picks of any substance.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The only rational reason is to get the space to use on difference makers, not weakening the team at the same time using his money to keep the band together with the same players who exited again in the first round of the playoffs.

Cut him, we are elevating WR to the top of the needs list. Better have a solid plan because nobody is going to give up picks of any substance.
Thats exactly what Stephen will do.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

100% agree.

If we were to get rid of Cooper I think we could bring back the majority of our top internal FA's while signing 1-2 impact FA's, which should be on the defensive side of the ball, generally speaking.

Signing Marcus Williams to to play next to Kearse instead of bringing back Kazee/Hooker would be a significant upgrade that could push the defense over the top.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I really don't think they will cut Cooper. Jerry wants to help Dak in any way he can, and obviously Cooper helps him tremendously. And it's not like Cooper is in any way an attitude problem.

Plus Jerry did make the big trade for him. That always helps.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just don't know how you can justify cutting Cooper. And even if you trade him you're not going to get back enough to make that worthwhile in my opinion. It would really cause a problem at receiver. Even if you bring back Gallup and Cedrick I think WR starts to look weak. You just don't have an explosive receiver anymore who runs routes and gets that great separation.

And even if you trade Cooper. You're not getting a first. But I've said before, even if you get a first round pick you'll need to turn around and burn that pick on a receiver that you're hoping will be as good as Cooper eventually. Which is a crap shoot.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I can't for the life of me think of a reason that justifies cutting him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I really don't think they will cut Cooper. Jerry wants to help Dak in any way he can, and obviously Cooper helps him tremendously. And it's not like Cooper is in any way an attitude problem.

Plus Jerry did make the big trade for him. That always helps.
Jerry sounded like he was pissed at Cooper over his COVID issues, not that that would impact an earnest attempt to re-aign your #1.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry sounded like he was pissed at Cooper over his COVID issues, not that that would impact an earnest attempt to re-aign your #1.
Covid is going to be a thing of the past very soon. Who gives a shit about a vaccine that wouldn't have prevented him from getting covid anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
For the record, I wouldn't trade or cut Cooper, just trying to think through what the hell would justify it to an extent.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the record, I wouldn't trade or cut Cooper, just trying to think through what the hell would justify it to an extent.
I mean the only justification the Cowboys can really use is that he is expensive and they can't figure out a way to afford to keep him. Which just isn't true but that's the only real justification they will give you. Honestly, I think they just look at it and don't want to spend 20 mil on a receiver who they don't think is getting that level of production for us. Which I just think isn't true. Receivers aren't just about numbers and any idiot can watch Cooper and see that he is better than what his numbers showed this last year. Covid and just the way we ran the offense chopped his numbers a bit.

That or they think he was half assing it on the field and us as fans just didn't notice it because he looked great when the ball did go his direction.

p1_

DCC 4Life
His production was down, and we’d be banking he could have a much better year in a non Covid world, plus stay on the field body wise.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
  • Haha

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I know this is that idiot Orlovsky, but what if this is the plan?

If so, our braintrust is even more shitty than we ever thought.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This dilemma was one of the reasons it would have been fine to have drafted Chase or Pitts had either fallen to us and Parsons not been available.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This dilemma was one of the reasons it would have been fine to have drafted Chase or Pitts had either fallen to us and Parsons not been available.
This deserves the full Picard.

• Haha

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
God, Orlovsky is a dumbass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom