How to (easily) quit this team

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'd much rather be a fan of a team like the Chargers. Even though they've never won anything, their ownership is at least pushing buttons and doing everything in their power to put a winner on the field. Sure it hasn't worked out yet but the fact that they're at least inserting new GMs, head coaches, etc., shows me that they're at least fully committed to trying to build a winner. The Cowboys on the other hand have shown ZERO interest in doing everything in their power to put the franchise in the best position to win. Every year you know you're getting the same shit sandwich because the Jones family insists on running things. Meanwhile with teams like the LAC, periodically you can at least legitimately sell yourself on the new GM and front office getting things right.
Exactly.

Posted this before, probably, but I remember several years ago, probably 2013 or so after the 3rd 8-8 in a row, Ben and Skin interviewed these Dallas fans who couldn't take Jerry anymore. So they made a point of giving up the Cowboys and picking another team. They settled on the Chiefs.

Ben asked them why, and they said they were relatively close so they could go to a game if they wanted, they used to be the Dallas Texans back in the day, and they liked the ownership.

Ben: "But the Chiefs are terrible!" (This was before Reid got there.)

Fans: "They are now, but the difference is, we know their ownership won't let it stay that way. They genuinely want to make the team better and win. If the people in place can't get it done, they'll keep trying ones until they get it right."

Look at them now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buncha yellow-bellied quitters in this thread. Ride or die Cowboys 4 lyfe right here.

Don't try to get back on the bandwagon when Garrett wins his third Lombardi in a row.
I
Come on, man, You know full well our situation is different from every other NFL team in the league. Minus, maybe the Redskins. The Raiders were the last comp out there until ole Al kicked it. You can't compare us to others. You just can't.
Oh the Redskins are way worse. But he is right. A lot of NFL teams have gone a long time with no Superbowl.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If nothing else had done it the fact that Maher still has a job weighs pretty heavily. The kicker position has been handled very poorly for the last 2 years.
It's a sign to me that it's not just the players who stopped trying.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I

Oh the Redskins are way worse. But he is right. A lot of NFL teams have gone a long time with no Superbowl.
I dont think a lot of those have owners filling the GM role or so hands on as Jerry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont think a lot of those have owners filling the GM role or so hands on as Jerry.
Well that is true but when you have a shitty owner picking the GM you're essentially in the same spot. Or an owner who is cheap for example. There are lots of ways an owner can sabotage potential success without being the GM himself.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jones role as GM is spotty but the player personnel side of it has been pretty good over the past 3 to 5 years and he has allowed some to add their expertise to the determinations. The single largest fault as GM is his failure to hold the HC responsible for utilizing the strength of the players and not getting the best performances out of them. Garrett has been even worse over the past 2 years by taking a do nothing approach since he had his hands slapped from offensive play-calling. Garrett went on vacation at that time and the players followed his lead. Jones should have jacked him up and given him some mandates when he told him to back off the play-calling.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Come on, man, You know full well our situation is different from every other NFL team in the league. Minus, maybe the Redskins. The Raiders were the last comp out there until ole Al kicked it. You can't compare us to others. You just can't.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
TL;DR

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The only statement I recall Parcells saying pertaining to responsibility was, if you are going to cook the meals you should be able to buy the groceries. I think this was in reference to player selection as I recall. I don’t remember a phrase about, it comes with the dinner.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The only statement I recall Parcells saying pertaining to responsibility was, if you are going to cook the meals you should be able to buy the groceries. I think this was in reference to player selection as I recall. I don’t remember a phrase about, it comes with the dinner.
Parcells dropped that groceries line before his Dallas days. It was actually a comment he made about Robert Kraft and the Patriots because they wouldn't give him final say on personnel decisions.

Last edited:

midswat

... soon
Parcells dropped that groceries line when before his Dallas days. It was actually a comment he made about Robert Kraft and the Patriots because they wouldn't give him final say on personnel decisions.
Ironically, in that instance the Patriots front office was right. They "forced" Terry Glenn on him whereas Parcells wanted some linebacker that turned out to be average at best.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Parcells dropped that groceries line when before his Dallas days. It was actually a comment he made about Robert Kraft and the Patriots because they wouldn't give him final say on personnel decisions.
He used it in Dallas as well.

vince

Not So New Member
Or you could just tone it down. I swear some people take their fanship way too far spending boatloads of money for game tix, merch, autographs, etc. to the point where it fucks with their lives. I've been a fan since birth. Never rooted for another pro football team and never will. And even though we're in this drought, being a fan has brought some positive experiences, like the game I attended at Houston when Romo dodged JJ Watt with that spin move. Incredible time. Not to mention all the people I've met by being a Cowboys fan. Gotta take the positives with the negatives dude.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Or you could just tone it down. I swear some people take their fanship way too far spending boatloads of money for game tix, merch, autographs, etc. to the point where it fucks with their lives. I've been a fan since birth. Never rooted for another pro football team and never will. And even though we're in this drought, being a fan has brought some positive experiences, like the game I attended at Houston when Romo dodged JJ Watt with that spin move. Incredible time. Not to mention all the people I've met by being a Cowboys fan. Gotta take the positives with the negatives dude.
I agree that some people take fanhood too far.

I have been a fan since a kid, but yet I am smart enough to not spend the resources I have accumulated over my life on a football team.

I don't buy jerseys, bobbleheads or stupid swag.

I have spent my money discriminately on live games when feasible.

I guess I can't relate to the dumbshit who spends a ton of his disposable income on a football team.

To me, the time investment is more than enough.

Top Bottom