Hill: Why not Johnny Manziel to the Cowboys?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Warren Moon: Johnny Manziel has to adjust his game in the NFL

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 19, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT

Warren Moon is a fan of Johnny Manziel’s skill set.

However, Moon does have a few reservations about the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner.

In an interview with Alex Marvez and Zig Fracassi on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Moon said the 6-foot, 207-pound Manziel must avoid seeking contact as much as he did on the college level. Moreover, Manziel also must prove he can regularly operate from the pocket, according to the Hall of Fame quarterback.

“Well, he’s one of the most exciting players to play college football, no question about it,” Moon said of Manziel. “He’s a risk taker, and he gets away with a lot of those things.

“I just think in the NFL, some of those things, he’s going to have to take out of his game. He just won’t be able to get away with some of those things that he did in college football, especially taking on people, being as physical as he likes to play the game. I don’t think you can do that in the NFL or you won’t be available for your football team.

“So if he changes a lot of those things out of his game, those are the things that made him special. Now all of a sudden he becomes a pocket passer. Can he do that on a consistent basis? That’s something I’m really not comfortable with right now. I’d have to see him do a little bit more of that.

“But no question about it, he’s an exciting football player that brings some very exciting athleticism to the position.”

Moon praised Manziel’s approach to the predraft process, noting that the former Texas A&M star has focused upon his craft.

Nevertheless, Moon still isn’t sure if Manziel’s collegiate production will translate to the NFL.

“He’s doing all the things right to move himself up in the draft, but still, what makes Johnny Manziel ‘Johnny’ is those special, magical plays that he makes, and I just don’t know if there’s going to be as many of those when you’re playing against the talent that he’s playing against in the NFL,” Moon said.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sounds like something I could have written. Wait. I think I have.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Sounds like something I could have written. Wait. I think I have.
:lol

Yeah....I guess we are the only 2 on the board who are WTF with the Johnny Football lovefest.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Yeah....I guess we are the only 2 on the board who are WTF with the Johnny Football lovefest.
Oh trust me, I have my doubts about him. I pretty much agree with the article. Most of the things that made him special in college won't translate to the NFL. Still, I find the player intriguing and look forward to seeing what he can do.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Laughing at Hutchinson is what kept us sane back then.

I cannot wait to see what Jerry does post-Romo.
I guess we need to get ready for more of the same. Drag.

hstour

Brand New Member

Not the only two. I just don't think he is that good at making the reads. It's easy when you know you have Mike Davis against a smaller guy trying to cover him. You just throw it where only Mike can get it. Or if you pull it down and run around until someone is wide open. Romo did that in 2010-2011 because of his atrocious line.

I keep going back to the Chick-fil-A Bowl and the "phenomenal" play that everyone talks about. Available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjVkYHLRURM

At 2:40 is the play from the side. But at 2:53 is a 2nd look from behind. He actually misses seeing 2 open receivers to the right that could have been completions for a TD in the back right corner of the end zone. Stop it at 2:55 and you see Davis running a post that he turns back out for a corner route. Easily got behind the DB.

Then at 2:57 you see about a 15 crossing route that could have scored also. He just had to throw it to a spot over and behind the referee. He missed both the reads.

It is a lot harder to sit in the pocket and run through your progressions when you aren't used to doing it. Reid couldn't teach Michael Vick how to do it.

Cotton

Staff member

I have been apprehensive about taking him all along. He's just too high risk for me. If we had a QB coach worth a damn, I probably wouldn't be as worried.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Not the only two. I just don't think he is that good at making the reads. It's easy when you know you have Mike Davis against a smaller guy trying to cover him. You just throw it where only Mike can get it. Or if you pull it down and run around until someone is wide open. Romo did that in 2010-2011 because of his atrocious line.

I keep going back to the Chick-fil-A Bowl and the "phenomenal" play that everyone talks about. Available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjVkYHLRURM

At 2:40 is the play from the side. But at 2:53 is a 2nd look from behind. He actually misses seeing 2 open receivers to the right that could have been completions for a TD in the back right corner of the end zone. Stop it at 2:55 and you see Davis running a post that he turns back out for a corner route. Easily got behind the DB.

Then at 2:57 you see about a 15 crossing route that could have scored also. He just had to throw it to a spot over and behind the referee. He missed both the reads.

It is a lot harder to sit in the pocket and run through your progressions when you aren't used to doing it. Reid couldn't teach Michael Vick how to do it.
It's Mike Evans not Mike Davis

hstour

Brand New Member
It's Mike Evans not Mike Davis
That's what happens when you are a Longhorn fan. Their players just seem to come to the front of the mind quick than those dirty Aggie players..... :lol

Cotton

Staff member
That's what happens when you are a Longhorn fan. Their players just seem to come to the front of the mind quick than those dirty Aggie players..... :lol
Oh god, another Longhorn fan. Everything is starting to make sense.

Carp

DCC 4Life
JF does have things to work on like any QB coming in. Definitely can see how people could have concerns. Hope some of you can make it through the draft process, he'll be a hot topic for a long time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Orton did not report for voluntary workouts starting today. I'd cut him and draft his replacement.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Draft? Feh. Connor Shaw will be an UDFA.

Cotton

Staff member
Orton did not report for voluntary workouts starting today. I'd cut him and draft his replacement.

Top Bottom