Hill: Brandon Carr Unwilling To Accept A Pay Cut

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Go all in on improving the line, and throw Scandrick and whatever jabronis back there in the secondary. I think that's a good plan.
Yep.

townsend

Banned
I feel like the fact that our longest tenured and best CB was a 5th round pick, and we've let Jenkins and Claiborne walk after their rookie contract was up, proves we should be investing several late picks in secondary, and saving first and second day picks for front 7 positions and Running Back.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I feel like the fact that our longest tenured and best CB was a 5th round pick, and we've let Jenkins and Claiborne walk after their rookie contract was up, proves we should be investing several late picks in secondary, and saving first and second day picks for front 7 positions and Running Back.
Eh, Murray was a 3rd and Randle a 5th. First and second round picks can bust at RB, too, and if we have shown we can be successful picking them up 3rd round and later, we should use the depth of the draft to our advantage.

Aside from Scandrick, our ability to draft CBs in any round has been horrid.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, Murray was a 3rd and Randle a 5th. First and second round picks can bust at RB, too, and if we have shown we can be successful picking them up 3rd round and later, we should use the depth of the draft to our advantage.

Aside from Scandrick, our ability to draft CBs in any round has been horrid.
Yeah just because we lucked out with Scandrick doesn't mean we shouldn't draft a corner until the fifth round. It just means we need to do a better job scouting corners period. There is a reason why the majority of the probowl NFL corners were drafted in the first round. Now if you want to say having a probowl corner is worthless that's fine but the best players at the position come higher in the draft. For every Richard Sherman there are 5 other elite corners taken in the first round.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Uh, Claibust is on the roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We woud have to seriously fuck it up to blow it with this RB class as deep as it is.
Even in "deep RB" class there are always lemons. They just need to pick the guy that fits their system.

They pick a player like Abdullah, for example, that's probably a bad selection.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Even in "deep RB" class there are always lemons. They just need to pick the guy that fits their system.

They pick a player like Abdullah, for example, that's probably a bad selection.
Agreed. Hopefully they can match system and BA back at selection time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed. Hopefully they can match system and BA back at selection time.
Honestly, what I want is the back that can consistently move the chains.

I laugh when I see people say they like this back over the other because of "home run" ability. Those backs are few and far between.

You don't see backs ripping off 50 yard runs regularly. Give me the guy that will get the four that the OL is providing and then some, not the guy who can carry the ball 10-10 yards then bust an 80 yarder.

That's one of the reasons I prefer Ajayi and Yeldon. They will get those five yards where another "speedster" will get two.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I laugh when I see people say they like this back over the other because of "home run" ability. Those backs are few and far between.

You don't see backs ripping off 50 yard runs regularly. Give me the guy that will get the four that the OL is providing and then some, not the guy who can carry the ball 10-10 yards then bust an 80 yarder.

That's one of the reasons I prefer Ajayi and Yeldon. They will get those five yards where another "speedster" will get two.
That's why I always like Emmitt more than Barry.

shane

DCC 4Life
I would be happy with them drafting 3 linemen/LB and a RB with the first four picks. Then draft at least a couple secondary players. Perhaps Marinelli will be able to coach those boys up. But if we can have a line that can create some serious pressure and stop the run, they will do.

Cotton

Staff member

Ajayi either on a trade down from our first pick or a trade up from our second pick (not getting raped in the trade) and I'm happy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah trading up for a RB in a deep positional draft wouldn't be that smart.

I think we will definitely move up or down. I can't imagine a scenario where we stay put.

That said, I would object strongly to a trade up. There isn't a player outside of the top five I think is worth moving up for.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah trading up for a RB in a deep positional draft wouldn't be that smart.

I think we will definitely move up or down. I can't imagine a scenario where we stay put.

That said, I would object strongly to a trade up. There isn't a player outside of the top five I think is worth moving up for.
I'm okay with it as long as it's not a big jump and we don't get raped in the trade. Ajayi is the perfect fit for us and just might be the most complete back in this draft. I'd do it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
A trade down into the 30s would be great. Hell no on trade ups, in any round. There isn't anyone we can't live without.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm okay with it as long as it's not a big jump and we don't get raped in the trade. Ajayi is the perfect fit for us and just might be the most complete back in this draft. I'd do it.
Your love for Ajayi has blinded you to the talent of other backs in this draft. The way you have him targeted in your mind is the exact opposite of what I want the Cowboys to do. You can't get so locked into one player.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This isn't a special situation where only a couple guys are capable of succeeding. It's not a draft where thereare only a couple guys who are any good. We shouldn't have to scramble to make sure we get a guy. We should be letting the draft come to us.

I'd much rather just pull the trigger on Gordon or Gurley in the first than trade up later.

Top Bottom