Gregory goes through step in drug program (oh, and Booze is gay)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sorry, it was the first thing I saw when I logged into Twitter. My bad. I should have known better coming from JJT.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Tore that right out of the Lacanfora book.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
What is this? Does this mean they are just determining whether his reinstatement is finalized or is there some new issue?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What is this? Does this mean they are just determining whether his reinstatement is finalized or is there some new issue?
It seems to me like this is just a formal step in the process, but I did see on Twitter that the doctor could come to an opinion that he is not ready and he could be suspended again. I hope this isn't true.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It seems to me like this is just a formal step in the process, but I did see on Twitter that the doctor could come to an opinion that he is not ready and he could be suspended again. I hope this isn't true.
Sounds like BTB says it's unclear what is going on. However, since the meeting is either today or next week I guess we'll find out soon.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/8/30/17799994/report-randy-gregory-to-meet-with-league-doctor-thursday-to-determine-if-hell-be-suspended-again

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If the meeting is today, which I'm sure it is, it's pretty clear that the NFL wants to give the team an answer before Saturday.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Saw the same thing. Might just be part of the process.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The hysteria that surrounds every little blip is so hilarious to me, really speaks to how the majority of people lack perspective and critical thinking ability.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Let's face it: the guy needs 24 hour surveillance, but he's too old to be treated like a baby.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I wonder what the doctor is checking him for. Pot addiction? I mean really.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Supergay thread title.
Dont laugh. I remember one of your threads about an OL assistant coach hire/interview a few years ago. That was entertaining.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dont laugh. I remember one of your threads about an OL assistant coach hire/interview a few years ago. That was entertaining.
That was just news about a possible hire that was a few hours late. This is misleading. I read the thread title and figured he was actually in trouble. Again. Like it says.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

What Cowboys DE Randy Gregory's Thursday meeting with NFL medical director means

By Jori Epstein and David Moore

Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory didn't accompany his teammates to Houston for their final preseason game, sources said.

That alone doesn’t mean his playing fate hangs in the balance.

A source confirmed Gregory and attorney Daniel Moskowitz instead traveled to Chicago for a Thursday morning meeting with the NFL’s medical director.

Gregory is regularly re-evaluating his clinical resources in the program to ensure his treatment plan is compliant with the Substance Abuse Policy and Program requirements.

No formal disciplinary complaint had been filed as of Thursday morning, the source said, regarding or resulting from any alleged violation. The meeting, similarly, was not the result of a complaint.

Gregory is in Stage Three - the most advanced stage - of the NFL's substance abuse program after repeated failed and missed drug tests have warranted suspensions.

Players in Stage Three of the league program are subject to protocols that can include unannounced drug testing up to 10 times per month, treatment plans and regular re-evaluation of their clinical resources.

"At the Medical Director’s discretion," the policy handbook says, "a Player in Stage Three may be required to submit to further evaluation and subsequent treatment including the development of a Treatment Plan and/or treatment at an inpatient Treatment Facility."

Sources said Gregory hoped to catch a plane after the meeting to join his teammates in Houston for their final preseason game, although he’s not expected to play.

Those with knowledge of Gregory’s aftercare requirements say the defensive end has had a handful of appointments with doctors, therapists and counselors since the team returned from training camp earlier this month. They are a mandated part of his treatment plan and will continue into the season.

Sources stress there’s a strong probability that Gregory will be forced to miss an occasional practice or meeting throughout the season to fulfill the requirements of his treatment plan. When a scheduling conflict exists, his aftercare program takes precedence.

Stage Three players who violate the program by "fail[ing] to cooperate with testing, treatment, evaluation or other requirements" as determined by the medical director can be banished from the league for at minimum a year.

Gregory was banished for the 2017 season after testing positive for marijuana. He served four- and 10-game suspensions in 2016. He's played two career games since his rookie year of 2015, when he entered the league in the drug program after a failed test at the combine.

Late 2017, he hit a low.

"I just felt like I didn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel," Gregory told SportsDay in July. "A lot of the things I was doing was just all around unhealthy. Unhealthy thinking, unhealthy behaviors, just I had a long list of character defects that needed work on.

"Everything about my life was unhealthy."

Now, Gregory and his treatment plan focus on ensuring he maintains the health he reached to merit reinstatement in July.

Sources have told SportsDay Gregory smoked to self-medicate; he battles diagnoses including anxiety and depression.

Top Bottom