Gosselin: entire staff needs to be reassessed

superpunk

Banned
I have been a quiet observer of Garrett since he took over waiting to see if he would eventually grow into the role of a head coach in the NFL. I have for the most part withheld my final assessment but after last night it is clearly evident (at least to me) that he is completely in over his head. I cannot forsee him ever being a winning HC here or elsewhere.
I thought for a while that we could amass enough talent to overcome his accountant's demeanor but he can't, and he and everyone else on the team seem to have no idea how to overcome that - and they don't have enough swagger to make everyone believe in their solution even if it's wrong.

GShock

DCC 4Life
No doubt Garrett will get another gig, and quickly.

Interested to see if anything changes over the bye week.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Why are you talking as though he's been fired?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have been a quiet observer of Garrett since he took over waiting to see if he would eventually grow into the role of a head coach in the NFL. I have for the most part withheld my final assessment but after last night it is clearly evident (at least to me) that he is completely in over his head. I cannot forsee him ever being a winning HC here or elsewhere.
The Oracle has spoken, Schmitty.

Case closed.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

As a QB coach perhaps.

Head coach? Certainly not.

OC? Why would anyone want this failure calling the plays?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
People were saying the same thing laughing at Rob Ryan when he bragged that he'd have a job "in 5 minutes."
Took Ryan quite a while to get a job and he hasn't been turning out statistical brilliance in New Orleans. He did a job defending Garrett's simple minded offense though.

It wouldn't surprise me if he is a head coach someday in a more functional environment.
He won't have so many years to figure out how to run a decent offense elsewhere. If he can't manufacture points in his next stop he won't get any chance to promote to HC again.

BTW, how many head coaches leave here and find success? Since Garrett is a poor man's Chan Gailey, I forsee him having a similar career to Chan's after leaving the team.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Because the biggest black mark on his record is working for Jerry Jones.
I think his biggest black mark is turning down a chance to lead a model organization like the Ravens.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think he could get a decent college job. Most failed NFL HCs can.
Probably his best direction. I think a mid-major school would be a good spot for him to sell himself as the clean cut, trustworthy, role model type.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Probably his best direction. I think a mid-major school would be a good spot for him to sell himself as the clean cut, trustworthy, role model type.
Imagine how stimulating that recruiting meeting would be. I'm sure that blue chip recruits would be chomping at the bit with excitement to have Data from Star Trek as their head coach.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Imagine how stimulating that recruiting meeting would be. I'm sure that blue chip recruits would be chomping at the bit with excitement to have Data from Star Trek as their head coach.
Did I stutter over the internet when I said Mid-Major? What kind of blue chip recruit is going to Miami of Ohio without a rape conviction looming over his head? (That's a Roethlisberger joke) He's basically going to be talking to the parents of kids about the great graduate programs and how the alumni network supports hiring from the Alma Mater.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Owner: No Staff Changes; Expects More Man Coverage
Posted 1 hour ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas - While the Cowboys will have a chance to get healthy and possibly make a few adjustments during the bye week, changes in the coaching staff are not expected.

Owner and GM Jerry Jones said Tuesday morning on his weekly radio show on 105.3 “The Fan” that he doesn’t anticipate any staff changes, and that includes the defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and the play-calling duties for Bill Callahan.

“I don’t know if you have much choice as to what you’re doing in the bye week,” Jones said. “We certainly want to emphasize the good things that can be done. I’m not even going to address coaching staff, as to where they’re safe or not. Obviously, here we’ve got 3-4 days this week and go into next week and we’re 5-5, we’re tied for the lead in our division. We’ve got players coming back. We’ve got one of the best quarterbacks in the National Football League. We’re off a rough loss. That doesn’t call for major changes out here at all.”

Jones emphatically said “no” when asked point blank if Jason Garrett would take over for Callahan in the play-calling duties.

One change Jones did say regarding the defense is the play of more man-to-man coverage with the secondary and less zone. In fact, during the some 12-minute interview, Jones made two references to playing more man.

“We need to look at what each of these guys do the best,” Jones said. “Basically, I’m talking about our corners. Can we get our corners playing more man and less zone, those are kind of things (to change) when the bye week comes along.”

Here are some other points Jones said Tuesday morning:

Wide receiver Miles Austin is expected to return to action against the Giants after the bye week. Jones said Austin should have a “clean bill of health” after missing six of the last eight games with a hamstring injury.

Speaking of hamstrings, both Sean Lee and Justin Durant will likely be out 3-4 weeks with their injuries they suffered in the Saints game.

Jones said losing to the Saints does not make him hit the panic button. He references close losses to the Chiefs and Broncos this year in helping him realize the Cowboys have a chance to be more than competitive against some of the NFL’s top teams.

With all of the injuries, Jones said the team evaluates the strength and conditioning staff to make a “comparative assessment around the league” to see how the Cowboys stack up regarding other injuries. In the past few years, Jones said the Cowboys haven’t been much different than other teams.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: No staff changes
Updated: November 12, 2013, 11:40 AM ET
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Jerry Jones sees no reason to shake up the Dallas Cowboys' coaching staff during the bye week, although he does have some direct advice for his coaches.

Jones, the Cowboys' owner/general manager, was adamant on his radio show Tuesday morning that defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin wouldn't be a midseason departure and coach Jason Garrett would not seize play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Bill Callahan.

Both possibilities had been subjects of media speculation in the wake of the Cowboys' 49-17 loss Sunday night to the New Orleans Saints.

"Say it any way you want to, I'm not even going to address -- really I'm not -- the coaching staff as to whether they're safe or they're not," Jones said on KRLD-FM. "We're 5-5. We're tied for the lead in our division. We've got players coming back. We've got one of the best quarterbacks in the National Football League. We're off of a rough loss.

"That doesn't call for major changes out here at all."

Jones firmly answered "no" when asked about the potential for change in the offensive play-calling duties. Garrett gave up those duties this offseason at the urging of Jones.

With Callahan calling plays, the Cowboys rank fourth in the league in scoring at 27.4 points per game. However, the Cowboys have sputtered offensively since a 51-48 loss to the Denver Broncos in Week 5 and were held to 193 total yards in Sunday's loss to the Saints.

Jones specifically is not satisfied with the way receiver Dez Bryant is being utilized. Bryant has 52 catches for 749 yards and eight touchdowns this season but was targeted only twice against the Saints, who double-teamed him on a consistent basis.

"We need to get him the ball more," Jones said. "I think that's the kind of thing that's a reasonable thing that you can adjust over a two-week period that we're going into with our bye week. How do we work to get him the ball more?"

The Dallas defense, which switched to a 4-3 scheme after the offseason firing of Rob Ryan and hiring of Kiffin, ranks dead last in the league with an average of 439.8 yards allowed. Dallas has broken the franchise record for yards allowed in two of the last three games, allowing 623 yards in a loss to the Detroit Lions and 625 to the Saints.

Jones is optimistic that the defense will drastically improve after the bye, when defensive tackle Jason Hatcher, cornerback Morris Claiborne and safety J.J. Wilcox are expected to return from injuries. Starting linebackers Sean Lee and Justin Durant suffered hamstring strains against the Saints that are expected to sideline them for three or four weeks, Jones confirmed.

Kiffin is considered one of the architects of the Tampa 2 scheme, but Jones said the Cowboys need to play more man coverage to succeed with their personnel, considering the injury attrition to the defensive line.

Cowboys Can't Beat Good Foes
The Cowboys are 21-21 since Jason Garrett's 1st full season as head coach in 2011. But the majority of those victories are against below-.500 teams. A breakdown of the Dallas' record by opponents' end-of-season win percentage since 2011*:

"You need to probably man up more in the secondary than we've been doing, rather than relying on zone," Jones said. "Because if we can't get pressure and we're relying on the traditional zone as you might mentally picture it, then that's a recipe for what happened to us the other night."

The Cowboys enter their bye week 5-5 after consecutive 8-8 seasons. Dallas, which is trying to end a three-year playoff drought, is tied with the Philadelphia Eagles atop the NFC East standings.

"Certainly, 5-5 is not acceptable," Jones said. "We can say that we were close on all but one of those games. We were competitive and very easily could have won any of those four [other] games that we lost. I would have to say it would be a stretch to say that we should have won or we should have been in there close in New Orleans. You can get pretty critical of everything if you use New Orleans as a basis to criticize on, but in general, yes, I'll take our chances with Kansas City the way we played them up there the second game of the year. We had a chance to win that ballgame and played well enough to win. Denver, we had a chance to win.

"So you look back on those and I don't think you look at what happened to us in New Orleans the other night and become panicky."

Top Bottom