Google/YouTube could make a run at Sunday Ticket

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Google/YouTube could make a run at Sunday Ticket

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT

Far more stunning than the potential loss of the NFL Sunday Ticket package by DirecTV could be its new landing spot.

According to All Things Digital (via SportsBusiness Daily), the rights held by DirecTV since 1994 were “among the topics of discussion” that came up during a Tuesday meeting between Google CEO Larry Page, YouTube Head of Content & Business Operations Robert Kyncl, and a delegation from the NFL that included Commissioner Roger Goodell.

DirecTV currently pays $1 billion per year for the package. DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said in March that the satellite giant could strike a non-exclusive deal with NFL or dump the package completely when the current deal expires after the 2014 season.

The value of the Sunday Ticket package has diminished in recent years, given the rise of the RedZone package, which whips fans around from game to game, focusing on the most compelling moments.

YouTube launched in 2005; Google purchased the popular video site the following year.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
You gotta love the internet, but the technology (as it currently stands) is way too unstable for something like the Sunday Ticket. DirecTV offers internet access to the ticket now, (for an additional price) and even it craps out too often. There is absolutely nothing more frustrating when the quarterback drops back, sets, goes to throw, and then bam... the video hangs. AAARRRGGGG! If I had to rely on the internet version only, I would not have it.

The internet is great for everything BUT broadcasting live events.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You gotta love the internet, but the technology (as it currently stands) is way too unstable for something like the Sunday Ticket. DirecTV offers internet access to the ticket now, (for an additional price) and even it craps out too often. There is absolutely nothing more frustrating when the quarterback drops back, sets, goes to throw, and then bam... the video hangs. AAARRRGGGG! If I had to rely on the internet version only, I would not have it.

I dunno. I can watch a 2 hour movie on Netflix and never notice any hitches.

Isn't the problem more just the bandwidth than actual technological limitations?

dallen

Senior Tech

I never have this problem

gator

Brand New Member
It depends on your ISP. If decent bandwidth isn't available in your area, you get crappy service and like it.
I think it has more to do with DirectTV's delivery. They probably skimped on servers and the video streaming technology. I don't think anyone knows internet streaming/ video better than Google, so I wouldn't be surprised if Google's NFL product kicks ass.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think it has more to do with DirectTV's delivery. They probably skimped on servers and the video streaming technology. I don't think anyone knows internet streaming/ video better than Google, so I wouldn't be surprised if Google's NFL product kicks ass.
Yep.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have zero interest in streaming the games over a computer. I pay that kind of money to have it on my big screen. Explain how Google would get it marketed?

Like a Netflix service over a console or something?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have zero interest in streaming the games over a computer. I pay that kind of money to have it on my big screen. Explain how Google would get it marketed?

Like a Netflix service over a console or something?
You can hook your computer up to your TV as well you know.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You can hook your computer up to your TV as well you know.
Most new TVs are Internet ready so you don't even need a console or anything. I would have to assume that they would just build an app for this service.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Most new TVs are Internet ready so you don't even need a console or anything. I would have to assume that they would just build an app for this service.
Again...apps and new TVs. What about people like McNuttz?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't help it if people won't advance with the technology age.
Off the topic, but I hate this attitude.

Not from you personally, but from corporate America.

Hell, I can't even buy a fucking laptop now with a DVD drive because faggots like Bill Gates have determined that they are obsolete and everyone streams anyways.

Now if you want Sunday Ticket, you have to feed the Google machine and deal with streaming?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Off the topic, but I hate this attitude.

Not from you personally, but from corporate America.

Hell, I can't even buy a fucking laptop now with a DVD drive because faggots like Bill Gates have determined that they are obsolete and everyone streams anyways.

Now if you want Sunday Ticket, you have to feed the Google machine and deal with streaming?
Move forward old man. You will be okay.

Top Bottom