Ghosts?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
No experience of my own, but a buddy says his dad (who is very squared away, not an attention-seeker, etc.) saw one when he bought a new (old) house.

Also knew a girl who swore she had sort of encounter but it wasn't scary at all and was almost kind of calming.

That's all I got. :shrug Waiting on the bigfoot thread, though. :unsure

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Props. I don't think I believe in that stuff but I do find it fascinating. Pretty much any paranormal stuff.

I'll say this.

The first question we have to look at is, what is consciousness? That's maybe unanswerable. But it's also probably the key to understanding what might happen after we die.

Because really, when we're talking about an afterlife we're talking about the persistence of consciousness. We know our bodies don't persist.

So what is consciousness, really? Is it energy from electrical impulses on the brain?

If so, what happens to that after we die?

Because we know energy can't be created or destroyed. I believe that's the first rule of thermodynamics.

So if our consciousness is energy, and energy can't be destroyed, where does it go?

But even still, our consciousness is likely only powered by the cells in our brains. The physical features of our bodies are probably the only way that we can see, hear, feel, and think. When those brain cells die, that I guess means basically the power grid for our consciousness dies.

But what happens to that energy? Does it float off into the air? Does it attach to something else? Could we power it back up somehow?

It's interesting.

Honestly, were still completely clueless as a species.
Good post, bro...that shit's deep!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I've seen a ghost and a UFO.

They were sexing in our pantry.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Props. I don't think I believe in that stuff but I do find it fascinating. Pretty much any paranormal stuff.

I'll say this.

The first question we have to look at is, what is consciousness? That's maybe unanswerable. But it's also probably the key to understanding what might happen after we die.

Because really, when we're talking about an afterlife we're talking about the persistence of consciousness. We know our bodies don't persist.

So what is consciousness, really? Is it energy from electrical impulses on the brain?

Because we know energy can't be created or destroyed. I believe that's the first rule of thermodynamics.

So if our consciousness is energy, and energy can't be destroyed, where does it go?

But even still, our consciousness is likely only powered by the cells in our brains. The physical features of our bodies are probably the only way that we can see, hear, feel, and think. When those brain cells die, that I guess means basically the power grid for our consciousness dies.

But what happens to that energy? Does it float off into the air? Does it attach to something else? Could we power it back up somehow?

It's interesting.

Amen to all this. I love science -- true science, not Scientist Worship like we've seen during the virus -- but I'm philosophical about things. I believe we probably don't have any idea what's really going on. Of course we should be curious and do our best to try to figure things out, because that's who we are as humans. But look how wrong we've been about things throughout history. The smartest people of their day "knew" the Earth was flat, the sun revolved around the Earth, all kinds of things that were completely incorrect. It's only arrogance that makes us think the current crop of humans has it all figured out.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We live in a 100 year old house.

One early morning about 15 years ago, I woke up and saw a man in a long tweed trenchcoat and fedora standing over me.

I sat up in bed, screamed, and he just evaporated.

Haven't seen any thing since and nothing weird has happened in our house, but I will never forget that shit.

p1_

DCC 4Life

One early morning about 15 years ago, I woke up and saw a man in a long tweed trenchcoat and fedora standing over me.

Haven't seen any thing since and nothing weird has happened in our house, but I will never forget that shit.
You’re joking

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I’ve watched every episode of Supernatural.

Dean Winchester rules!

All kidding aside, when I get back to my computer tonight, I’ll tell of a few things I’ve witnessed personally. Not gonna type all that on a phone.

I don’t know if I believe in ghosts exactly, but I do believe... something is out there. I don’t fucking know. Some strange shit happens sometimes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Could be one and the same. I don't know. It's an interesting discussion to me. I have not seen any evidence of them myself, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe I have just never run across one. I have talked to people that swear they have seen evidence, so who knows?
They aren’t one and the same. It is believed by some the primary distinction is that ghost are defined as being that of a once living being and generally stay in the area where the individual met their demise. The manner in which they died is commonly believed to have been some sort of foul play and the ghost is a reminder of same. The are seeking justice.

The spirit world is much more diverse and runs the gambit of good and evil sources and the areas of their existence are not necessarily limited however there can be some that have limited powers and territorial existences. That’s a basic overview but it’s why I raised the question.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I'll say this.

It's interesting.

Not THIS is why I brought this up. We probably should be smoking pot to discuss this correctly, but at work sober will have to do.

I never put a ton of thought into this until we moved into this house and my daughter slept in the same room in which the girl killed herself, but I have put a ton of thought into it since. They say that trauma sometimes is what makes a ghost's spirit stuck in one place (i.e. a haunted house). And, even in a such a traumatic death and life of this little girl (she was mentally and physically abused; which is most likely why she killed herself) I have seen no evidence.

Now, the consciousness thing is where I sit the fence. I do believe that consciousnesses can connect. It's why you get along with some people better than others and you bond even further with certain people (wife, best friend, etc). We are animals by nature, but what sets apart from the rest of the animal kingdom is our consciousness. Our basic and strongest animal instinct is to pass long our bloodlines, but there is a piece of a human's brain that allows them to empathize, love, etc. This is the energy I believe you are talking about. A soul for lack of a better word. Where does that soul go is the question that you bring up. That's also what keeps me agnostic in regards to religion, but I won't get into that.

Now, I lean towards believing in reincarnation. Not that I have proof, I believe I have been in this world before. So, that would mean my energy went into a new body. Does that mean that the energy could just as easily get "lost" or become "stuck"? I'm fairly sure we will never have these answers, but I really enjoy talking about stuff like this.

data

Forbes #1
It is believed by some the primary distinction is that ghost are defined as being that of a once living being and generally stay in the area where the individual met their demise. The manner in which they died is commonly believed to have been some sort of foul play and the ghost is a reminder of same. The are seeking justice.
It's true. LT died three years ago. His ghost has been posting here seeking justice for DeMarco Murray.

data

Forbes #1
Now, I lean towards believing in reincarnation. Not that I have proof, I believe I have been in this world before. So, that would mean my energy went into a new body. Does that mean that the energy could just as easily get "lost" or become "stuck"? I'm fairly sure we will never have these answers, but I really enjoy talking about stuff like this.
I like to believe the afterlife is like 'This is the End' with a Backstreet Boys concert. I ain't coming back to Earth. Fuck this shithole.

Cotton

Staff member

See, it's things like this that make me lean towards believing in them. I have heard too many credible people say they have had "encounters".

Cotton

Staff member
Nope. Don't believe in them.
And, that's 100% fair. I pretty much stay conflicted on the subject myself. My brain constantly contradicts itself about the matter.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And, that's 100% fair. I pretty much stay conflicted on the subject myself. My brain constantly contradicts itself about the matter.
I have had someone pass when at their bedside. Didn't feel a thing. I figure you would if ghosts were real.

Cotton

Staff member
I have had someone pass when at their bedside. Didn't feel a thing. I figure you would if ghosts were real.
I once watched a friend of mine get his head run over by a trailer. It exploded like a melon. I had haunting dreams, but never "saw" anything. And, I am talking I still have nightmares about that shit and it's now been over 30 years.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I once watched a friend of mine get his head run over by a trailer. It exploded like a melon. I had haunting dreams, but never "saw" anything. And, I am talking I still have nightmares about that shit and it's now been over 30 years.
thats some serious shit, man. I would need some therapy for those nightmares.

Top Bottom