Gehlken: Cowboys Release TE Blake Jarwin

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Thank god.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah his injury really fucked him. I think it changed our plans.
Our plan with him was stupid to begin with.

We gave him a very bad contract for a guy with ONE 100 yard game in his whole career.

Then after he signed the 4 yr $22M deal ($9.2 guaranteed), he caught exactly 12 passes for 108 yards.

$3.2 dead cap hit.

Fuck that hippy. I know it is not his fault, but I have to do something with my anger.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

We gave him a very bad contract for a guy with ONE 100 yard game in his whole career.

Then after he signed the 4 yr $22M deal ($9.2 guaranteed), he caught exactly 12 passes for 108 yards.

$3.2 dead cap hit.

Fuck that hippy. I know it is not his fault, but I have to do something with my anger.
I don't know about you but that sounds more efficient to me than giving Javon Hargrave 12/year or Haason Reddick 8/year in free agency.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

$3.2 dead cap hit.

Yep.

He's terrible. He's always been terrible. He had one fucking game a thousand years ago.

We signed him to $20 million dollars based on almost nothing.

His injury had zero to do with this.

People are complaining about paying Schultz and I get it from a cap efficiency standpoint, but I'd far rather pay a guy like Schultz than a waste of a roster space like Jarwin, even if it means giving Schultz twice as much. We'll actually get real production out of Schultz.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And wasn't one huge game in a meaningless game against a bunch of Giants scrubs? Something like that.

It's like they were extra desperate to find someone because Witten was gone. In fact I think that was a lot of it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know about you but that sounds more efficient to me than giving Javon Hargrave 12/year or Haason Reddick 8/year in free agency.
Nothing is efficient in paying what amounts to a 2nd TE his contract.

It is like the person who says they are going to be thrifty and end up spending just as much on stupid shit as big dollar purchases you might actually get a value on the investment.

Oh no, can't spend a grand on a TV, but let me but a bunch on other stupid gadgets that cost the same but are accessories.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing is efficient in paying what amounts to a 2nd TE his contract.

It is like the person who says they are going to be thrifty and end up spending just as much on stupid shit as big dollar purchases you might actually get a value on the investment.

Oh no, can't spend a grand on a TV, but let me but a bunch on other stupid gadgets that cost the same but are accessories.
This is always the Cowboys problem. Schultz and Gallup over Cooper. Every year in free agency we spend 15 mil on shit hoping one sticks instead of getting a quality guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is always the Cowboys problem. Schultz and Gallup over Cooper. Every year in free agency we spend 15 mil on shit hoping one sticks instead of getting a quality guy.
The money is the money.

I am sorry, if I got a grand to spend, I am going to get one thing that will provide utility and make the investment worth it.

I am not going to buy five things that equal to a grand that are going to make me feel better.

Team building in the salary cap is hard, yeah. I get it.

But Goof Son has proven for quite a long time that his method does not work.

The last time we went "all in" it was with Elliott's contract. They thought they were primed for a SB run and look what happened.

The real issue all along at the end of the day is that we have someone running the talent acquisition function that also has a direct and vested interest to the bottom line.

The Jones' family legacy will always come first. And Goof Son has been put in charge to manage that process.

You pretty much see what we are getting.

The most valuable sports franchise in the world runs its business with a ledger.

That is more important to them than a championship.

data

Forbes #1
Wait until the Jones actually have to spend real resources into finding a franchise QB.

I can’t believe we’ve been so fortunate with Romo and Prescott (and that they overlapped each other), yet haven’t been able to leverage it into success

Teams spend multiple premium draft picks to find franchise QBs. We got two combined on a single fourth rounder, yet the ‘extra saved’ draft picks didn’t translate into on-field differentiator either time, only enough to keep pace

Once we search for Daks replacement, imagine our disfunction now (ie Cooper, Gallup, Jarwin cap situation) while undergoing the typical trial and error of expending premium draft picks to obtain a franchise QB.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
Wait until the Jones actually have to spend real resources into finding a franchise QB.

I can’t believe we’ve been so fortunate with Romo and Prescott (and that they overlapped each other), yet haven’t been able to leverage it into success

Teams spend multiple premium draft picks to find franchise QBs. We got two combined on a single fourth rounder, yet the ‘extra saved’ draft picks didn’t translate into on-field differentiator either time, only enough to keep pace

Once we search for Daks replacement, imagine our disfunction now (ie Cooper, Gallup, Jarwin cap situation) while undergoing the typical trial and error of expending premium draft picks to obtain a franchise QB.
Did you miss the post Troy Aikman period ?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

That was like 5 years, an insanely short amount of time to go between franchise QBs. Most teams go a long ass time between finding one.

Look at how long it took the Chiefs to find one. Before Mahomes, maybe Montana for a couple years in the 90s? Len Dawson in the 70s before that?

Look at the 49ers since Steve Young. Have they even had one in the past 20+ years?

When was the last time the Redskins had one?

Look at the Eagles between Jaworski and McNabb. Just about nothing for like 20 years. Hell, look at them since McNabb in the past 13 years. They're on like their 4th starter since then.

Go back for the Giants before Eli. Phil Simms maybe, 20 years prior?

Look at the Bears since...I don't know, Sid Luckman 60 years ago?

And on and on and on.

Meanwhile we've had a franchise QB for about 28 of the past 33 years. We've been ridiculously lucky.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
That was like 5 years, an insanely short amount of time to go between franchise QBs. Most teams go a long ass time between finding one.

Look at how long it took the Chiefs to find one. Before Mahomes, maybe Montana for a couple years in the 90s? Len Dawson in the 70s before that?

Look at the 49ers since Steve Young. Have they even had one in the past 20+ years?

When was the last time the Redskins had one?

Look at the Eagles between Jaworski and McNabb. Just about nothing for like 20 years. Hell, look at them since McNabb in the past 13 years. They're on like their 4th starter since then.

Go back for the Giants before Eli. Phil Simms maybe, 20 years prior?

Look at the Bears since...I don't know, Sid Luckman 60 years ago?

And on and on and on.

Meanwhile we've had a franchise QB for about 28 of the past 33 years. We've been ridiculously lucky.
And yet no conference title appearance since Aikman. We’ve wasted so much talent over such a span.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Aikman retired after the 2000 season. Romo won the starting job midway through the 2004 season. As frustrating as the end of Aikman’s career was, the team didn’t exactly suffer in no man’s land for years like other franchises have.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Aikman retired after the 2000 season. Romo won the starting job midway through the 2004 season. As frustrating as the end of Aikman’s career was, the team didn’t exactly suffer in no man’s land for years like other franchises have.
say hello to No Man's Land:

Randall Cunningham

Anthony Wright

Quincy Carter

Ryan Leaf

Clint Stoerner

Chad Hutchinson

Vinny Testaverde

Drew Henson

Drew Bledsoe

Thats an ugly list.

Top Bottom