GameDay Chatter Thread | Week 1 | Cowboys @ Rams | 9/13/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Agreed.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the decision to not kick the FG on 4th and 3 in the 4th quarter. It was another example of a coach overthinking the situation.

I truly believe there's genius in simplicity. Belichick understands this concept. If more coaches would embrace the principle of Occam's razor they'd probably shave 2 or 3 losses off their record each season.
I'm a big proponent of Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is most likely correct.

And I definitely did not agree with going for it there.

That said, I thought Sturm had a compelling argument for going for it there.

Not because it's the best decision for that instance in that context. But because if you go for it every time you get that situation, it might lead to winning maybe 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Whereas by contrast you might hit the field goal and tie the game 100% of the time, but that might only lead to actually winning the game 5 or 6 times out of 10.

The other thing I'll say is, I love that they called the run play on 3rd down already knowing they were going for it on 4th if it came to it. We've been complaining for years and years that our playcallers were winging it instead of thinking two or three plays ahead. That bodes well for the future.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Overall they did a solid job against the run. The Rams only averaged 3.8 yards per carry. The problem was it seemed like it took them 3 or 4 series to finally get a grasp on the Rams blocking schemes and misdirection plays. Coaching adjustments have got to come a lot quicker than what we saw last night.
I'm honestly shocked it was only 3.8 ypc. Seemed like 5.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The only thing that really annoyed me was the decision to not kick the FG on 4th and 3 in the 4th quarter. It was another example of a coach overthinking the situation.
but that settling for 3 is typical Garrett-scared coaching and what drove us all so damned crazy. He had no guts whatsoever.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I guess they aren't pumping in crowd noise.

All I hear is the Steelers sideline losing it when they blow up a Giants Offensive play.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Nice throw by Ben there

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
but that settling for 3 is typical Garrett-scared coaching and what drove us all so damned crazy. He had no guts whatsoever.
I disagree in this situation.

If it were 4th and 1 then absolutely go for it. Hammer Zeke up the middle and trust that he and the OL can get that yard. 4th and 3 is an entirely different situation. I wouldn't consider that "settling" for a FG. Especially when there is only 11 minutes left in the game and you're looking at only having one, maybe two more cracks at it on offense if you don't pick up the first down, which they didn't.

There's a fine line between being gutsy/bold and being reckless. I wouldn't categorize the decision as full-blown recklessness but I think the scales tipped more in that direction.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:lol The guys running team social media accounts and such definitely "borrow" content from fans on message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom