Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Raiders| - 8/9/13

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
The first teams were fine.

The defense gave up like 50-60 yards in basically a quarter of work, the Raiders couldn't run the ball at all and all they could muster up were a few dinks and dunks in the passing game, Flynn had 4 completions with 2 against Webb who was filling in with Claiborne out.

Offensively you have to be disappointed with the penalties which killed two scoring opportunities but in the end it's the first preseason game for the starters and we only saw 2 drives. The OL looked fine, especially in pass protection, and Romo was sharp on the 2nd drive. Austin looked decent and Bryant looked ready to dominate, most importantly the OL actually looked somewhat competent.

The backups looked like warmed over shit for the most part, which is disconcerting, but I'm not going to sit here and throw a fit over how our backups looked in an early preseason game. There will be plenty of times to throw fits in the coming months, now isn't really one of them.

And we forced a couple of turnovers... They have been preaching takeaways, and have now forced 2 turnovers in back to back games. That is at least an encouraging sign...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout's Notebook: Improved Play From Third QB, Wilcox

Posted 6 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

Offensive Observation: It was a much better game for Nick Stephens than it was for him last week. I thought he did a good job of settling down and making simple throws to convert third downs. There were too many plays early where he tried to make difficult throws and not take what was given to him. The interception was a poor read and some of his sideline throws were too tight, but he bounced back and showed much better decision making in his later snaps. I still do believe that the club will carry three quarterbacks, and Stephens had a much better showing, which will make this front office consider him from a practice squad spot.

Defensive Observation: With J.J. Wilcox right now, you are going to see the good with the bad. Once he gets it, though, I believe he will be just fine. His position on the interception in the red zone was outstanding because he didn't let Pryor carry him wide, away from the receiver. He held his ground and was able to adjust back inside to secure the ball. It was an aware play on his part. Where he is going to have to grow is taking better angles to the ball. Wilcox is going to need to learn to play with his eyes better. He is so aggressive in his approach that he sometimes is out of whack. The more he plays, the better he will get in this area.

Special Team Observation: I have never been around a special teams coach that works as hard as Rich Bisaccia does in practice. His schemes allow his players to make plays, but there were plenty of opportunities tonight that when he sits down to review the tape, he will be disappointed in the way his units played. From my view in the booth, the blocked field goal appeared to happen over David Arkin, who got turned on the play and allowed his man inside. The muffed punt by B.W. Webb is something they work on every day – putting yourself in position to make the catch. Webb just didn't do it. On the long kickoff return, it appeared that several players got knocked to the ground and Webb was pushed wide, which created the hole inside. It wasn't the type of night for the special teams as a group that Bisaccia would have hoped for, but knowing this coach, it will be corrected on the field Sunday.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
In reality Wilcox shouldn't be making any plays. He hasn't played defense for long and he comes from scrub college. Anything above retarded exceeds expectations.
True, but it also means, tap the breaks on him being a Year 1 starter.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
In week one of the pre-season. Who has ever done that? Seriously. I see you are already in mid-season, completely annoying form already.
Haven't you heard? Jimmy Johnson always insisted that his starters stay on the field in a preseason game when they had a bad drive.

jester

Brand New Member
Pretty much what this team has had for years. Good starting talent....lousy depth when you need it.
Yeah, a gift courtesy of our infallible GM that loves to rely on polishing turds in hopes to become gold.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The backups looked like warmed over shit for the most part, which is disconcerting, but I'm not going to sit here and throw a fit over how our backups looked in an early preseason game. There will be plenty of times to throw fits in the coming months, now isn't really one of them.
I thought Nick Stephens had a good game. You got the feeling he was willing to grind to get a score. Randle had a decent game. DL depth is putrid garbage. OL depth is non-existent. Daryl Green's son needs to go back to Washington.

Black Wiener had a really bad play.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
In week one of the pre-season. Who has ever done that? Seriously. I see you are already in mid-season, completely annoying form already.
Uhhh, in case you didn't watch the other games the last few days, plenty of coaches around the league were doing this because their units didn't play so well - it was a topic of conversation in the preseason thread on Thursday night.

Now, stop being a sensitive little Euro pussy like you always like to be, you supercalifragilistic pansy.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
And he got blown up on a couple of runs. He's useless.
I would like to gift you with this list:

Kendell Watkins - 2nd round
Eric Bjornson - 5th
David Lafeur - 1st
Rodirck Monroe
Mike Lucky
Mike Slowikowski
Jason wHitten - 3rd
Anthony Fasaso - 2nd
Sean Ryan - 5th
Martellus Bennett - 2nd
John Phillips
James Hanna
Gavin Escobar -2nd

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
the insults are so creative around here
:lol

That's actually a knock on that homo for actually having the nerve to insult me with a fricking Mary Poppins reference a while back.

Yes, he actually spelled out the entire fricking thing. :gay

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I thought Izell Reese had the tools to make a decent safety.

:laff

Jiggyfly

Banned
R Leary is really staring to impress me he just looks smooth out there, and he plays with a good pop, I have been most impressed with his movement and his ability to always looked balanced.

I am just waiting to start hearing about his knee acting up next.:lol

Top Bottom