Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Giants| 09-11-16

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wouldn't say "nothing" but we have to realize Dak may be more of a fringe starter or backup than a Cam Newton.
I say we wait a bit longer than right after his very first game in the NFL to make any calls either way.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The 2nd half should cause people to pump the brakes on Dak.

Maybe he'll be good, maybe he won't, but it just goes to show that you can't go too crazy by what you see in the preseason.

The two things we praised him most for on the preseason were his poise and accuracy, both of which were bad in the 2nd half. Most of his throws were off and quite a few of them hit nothing but air and turf.

His choices on some of those throws were bad too, with the worst being the decision to throw a 10 yard pass in the middle of the field on the play before the Williams debacle.
He is rookie dude.

He was a dropped pass and a bobble away from a win, anybody exspecting him to not get somewhat rattled in his 1st game as tight as it was is an idiot.

And after all that he did everything right to get his kicker a chance to win at the end.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I wouldn't say "nothing" but we have to realize Dak may be more of a fringe starter or backup than a Cam Newton.
It's possible. But today he played well enough for us to win, but the OL, running game and defense didn't.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Could he have won? Sure.

But I didn't see anything I'd consider promising.

It wasn't much different from the types of performances we got last year from Weeden and Cassell.

He didn't turn the ball over, which is a plus, but he was lucky in that regard. So many balls bounced into the air and fell inches away from a defender.
WOW.

dallen

Senior Tech
Harsh analysis. Maybe just lack of reps?
I think so. He played so little in the preseason. He should have to earn the starting spot from Morris. Until then let him be 3rd down and change of pace. He looked really unsure of where he needed to go. He should get better with reps. His pass blocking was great

Cotton

Staff member
He is rookie dude.

He was a dropped pass and a bobble away from a win, anybody exspecting him to not get somewhat rattled in his 1st game as tight as it was is an idiot.

And after all that he did everything right to get his kicker a chance to win at the end.
There were quite a few drops in this game. More than you would normally see out of this WR corps. And, yet, he still put us in a position to win. It's stupid to think otherwise.

dallen

Senior Tech
Absolutely. To try to point the finger at anything but coaching and Zeke is retarded. Hell, even the defense gave us a chance.
The defense fought back in the second half.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So that's it then. Cut Dak, start Buttfumble next week and bring up Showers, right?
There's no need to do anything because the season is lost either way.

Even with Romo, their ceiling was 10 wins with 8-8 being a strong possibility.

Ride it out with him and hope he shows you something, but 6 wins is the best you can hope for.

This coaching staff and this defense are too bad to do better than that.

townsend

Banned
Ok.

You keep pretending that was any different than what we've gotten from the backup QB position over the last 3 seasons.
He threw 0 interceptions, in his league debut. Also both Dez and Beasley dropped sure TDs. He even managed to make some pretty good decisions in the 2 minute drill. If you think that's the same as the nothing that Weedon or Cassell ever got going, you're sorely mistaken.

Cassel, Orton, and Weeden had already been coached up to their potential before they ever stepped foot in Dallas. THIS WAS A ROOKIE STARTING HIS FIRST GAME!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I say we wait a bit longer than right after his very first game in the NFL to make any calls either way.
Absolutely, I am not making any final calls.

But I definitely think the Giants figured some things out about him in the second half.

Now Romo was a four year veteran, but pretty much from the minute he stepped onto the field in 2006 he was unstoppable. One game down, not so for Prescott. Let's see where he goes, but as for me, I am keeping an open mind that he may not be the future. I think today's game was more of an indication of his limitations than his potential.

No matter what he was better than Weeden and Cassel by far. Not sure he will be a Romo though.

Cotton

Staff member
Yep. They did their job in the second to get us where we needed to be. Can't really blame them for the loss.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The defense sucks, but we all would've signed up for 13 Giants points with 10 min to go in the game.

The biggest issue is we couldn't finish drives.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Harsh analysis. Maybe just lack of reps?
Which is why many of us advocated that he actually EARN his playing time.

I said all along that it would be great if Garrett allowed Morris to start and make Zeke take the job from him. But obviously that's not how things are done in Dallas.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Absolutely, I am not making any final calls.

But I definitely think the Giants figured some things out about him in the second half.

Now Romo was a four year veteran, but pretty much from the minute he stepped onto the field in 2006 he was unstoppable. One game down, not so for Prescott. Let's see where he goes, but as for me, I am keeping an open mind that he may not be the future. I think today's game was more of an indication of his limitations than his potential.

No matter what he was better than Weeden and Cassel by far.
Exactly.

Keep scouting college QBs because he may not be the guy.

I hope the team does their due diligence just in case.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think so. He played so little in the preseason. He should have to earn the starting spot from Morris. Until then let him be 3rd down and change of pace. He looked really unsure of where he needed to go. He should get better with reps. His pass blocking was great
I agree with this he showed no patience it will be interesting to see if there were any cutback lanes.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yet it took you years to figure out Garrett was an average coach.
I have never said Garrett was more than an average coach.

What I've said, and what some mouth breathers have an unreasonable problem with, is that he's not one of the worst coaches in the league.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yet it took you years to figure out Garrett was an average coach.
I think he figured it out years ago but after hitching his wagon to him from the beginning his pride got in the way of admitting it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have never said Garrett was more than an average coach.

What I've said, and what some mouth breathers have an unreasonable problem with, is that he's not one of the worst coaches in the league.
I think the evidence shows that he is one of the worst in the league and it really shouldn't be up for debate.

Without Romo to prop his worthless ass up he's proven to be incapable of leading his team to a meaningful win.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'd go as far to say that outside of Morris, Dak is the only player on offense who deserves any props at all.

Top Bottom