Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Dolphins| - 8/4/13

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

I thought the same thing.

6' 4" 290lbs in highschool. If he has half his dad's talent and drive, he might be something.
If he has the Bad Ass gene, he's on his way.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Cris Carter made some of the craziest catches that I've ever seen. His hands were ridiculous.

IMO, he worked the field boundaries better than any receiver in the history of the game. Watching his highlights last night brought back memories of all those crazy, tip-toe catches along the sidelines that he used to make.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:lol

I thought the same thing.

6' 4" 290lbs in highschool. If he has half his dad's talent and drive, he might be something.
I looked him up on Rivals.com last night and there are some big schools recruiting him but no offers from what I'd consider an elite program.

Boise St. and Arizona St. were the best schools to offer him.

He had nothing from schools like Oregon, USC, Bama, etc.

That kind of gives you an idea of his current talent level. Obviously, he can improve and develop into a good pro player but just looking at his current scholarship offers he appears to be a good high school player but nothing special.

Lotuseater

Banned
I looked him up on Rivals.com last night and there are some big schools recruiting him but no offers from what I'd consider an elite program.

That kind of gives you an idea of his current talent level. Obviously, he can improve and develop into a good pro player but just looking at his current scholarship offers he appears to be a good high school player but nothing special.
Sounds a lot like what they may have said about Larry.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Let's hope his son turns out to be a great prospect, maybe that will be enough for us to draft an OG high.

Or Jerry could just stop being a retard and take one of the many yearly solid OG prospects in the 2nd or so range but that would inhibit our TE, WR, CB and LB depth too much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Is he part of the 2014 recruiting class?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Staff Watch List: Writers Pick Players To Watch For Sunday

Posted 33 minutes ago

CANTON, Ohio
– Finally, football season is back.

If anything the Cowboys will be back on the field Sunday night for the first of five preseason games. The Cowboys take on the Dolphins in the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, following an emotional night of induction speeches, including ones from Larry Allen and Bill Parcells.

But now the focus shifts to the game. Don’t expect to see many of the starters play long, if at all.

Headline players such as Tony Romo, Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware and Dez Bryant are not expected to play. Other starters such as Miles Austin, DeMarco Murray, Brandon Carr andSean Lee could be held out for precautionary reasons as well.

But there are plenty of other players this team can evaluate. In fact, Dallascowboys.com staff writers David Helman, Nick Eatman, Rowan Kavner and Bryan Broaddus each picked two players – one from offense and defense – that intrigues them the most. And after the game, they will provide some feedback following their performances.

David Helman

Joseph Randle, RB: The rookie very well might receive the most playing time of any of the backup running backs going behind DeMarco Murray. Randle has definitely caught some attention since he threw himself into padded practices. He shined on the goal line, and he’s shown good hands in the passing game. Thanks to the constant rotation between the Cowboys’ five backs in training camp, we have yet to see Randle develop any kind of rhythm. It should be fun to see how he operates with more opportunities, not to mention a chance to show how he holds up against real contact.

J.J. Wilcox, S: Wilcox is probably the non-starter on this team who excites me the most. We’ve seen him smack people in practice, and we’ve heard the Cowboys coaches talk about his aggressive tendencies. I don’t think it’s wise to expect some kind of revolutionary performance during his first NFL appearance, but it’s fun to see such an intriguing talent get an opportunity at a position of need for the defense. With the starters sure to see little to no playing time, Wilcox should get plenty of opportunity to show off. And I think he will.

Nick Eatman

David Arkin, G: He’s the only guard on this team that hasn’t had some kind of injury here in training camp. Not trying to jinx Arkin, but I’m anxious to see what he can do with this opportunity. I could see him playing the whole game and that is important because as much as we want to see him face the No. 1, I want to see him against Miami’s third-teamers, too. It’ll be a good way to gauge the progress Arkin has apparently made.

Matt Johnson, S: Of course it’s Matt Johnson. All we’ve heard for 15 months is how good he can be when healthy. He appears to be healthy now and I’m curious like everyone else to see how he performs. For his own sake, he needs to be able to play physical, make some plays and come out of this game healthy and ready to it again Friday.

Rowan Kavner

Gavin Escobar, TE – At this point, it’s clear Escobar can catch the ball. But we don’t know how he’ll hold up on the line as a blocker or how explosive he’ll be off the line. He seems comfortable when the ball’s in the air, but I want to see if he has a knack for finding the open spot in a coverage and a feel for getting away from his man on his route. He needs to excel on passing plays and in the red zone to warrant the Cowboys’ pick.

B.W. Webb, CB – It’s unrealistic to assume any player can come up with a game-changing play every week. But Webb has the capability to change a game with his instincts and speed out of the nickel package. He’s come on in recent practices with more interceptions, and if he can transfer that to the game, that will help him find his way onto the field quickly in real games. I also want to see how he can contribute on special teams and whether he can be an option as a kick or punt returner.

Bryan Broaddus

Travis Frederick - The rookie center has been steady in camp with his calls and how he has managed the position. He has played comfortable and confident but this will be his first game action in the NFL so the nerves might be tested early. He should see plenty of action at both center and guard but I am especially interested how he fares at center which is his more natural position and should be where he is opening day.

DeVonte Holloman - In camp, he has been one of those players that is always around the ball, Of the young linebackers, the coaches have worked him at several different positions and combinations with the other linebackers. I have been impressed with his ability to not only defend the run physically at the point but he has also done a nice job as well in coverage. I am interested if he can show up as a situational player but also handle a steady diet of special teams work as a core guy. I believe he is one of those players that with experience can do several things for the squad.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys vs. Dolphins: Five things to watch in the Hall of Fame game

There's lots to keep an eye Sunday night when the Cowboys start the preseason against the Miami Dolphins in the Hall of Fame game. Few of the starters are going to play, but there are plenty of other storylines. Here are five thingsto watch:

1. Alex Tanney. The No. 4 quarterback has moved past Nick Stephens in training camp, although it doesn’t show it on the depth chart. Tanney has shown a livelier arm, awareness out of the pocket, speed in his scrambles and what coach Jason Garrett calls an instinct for the game. If he can show accuracy tonight, he might take over the No. 3 snaps in practice.

2. Matt Johnson’s chance. This is the chance the second-year safety has been waiting for. Johnson did not play a game and hardly practiced last year as a rookie because of injuries. Now he has a chance to finally play and show why the Cowboys liked him so much, they kept him on the active roster more than half the year.

3. A play from J.J. Wilcox. This is the rookie safety that lit up camp in the first two weeks with his hitting and play-making. The coaches had to tell him to ease up on tackling his own teammates, which only made him chuckle. He said he’d rather be told to slow down than speed up.

4. The inside line. This will be rookie center’s Travis Frederick’s first game, but he’ll have to play without starting guards Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau. Instead, he’ll have to create communication chemistry with Ron Leary and David Arkin and organize the line against blitzes and stunts. Not to mention, create running room.

5. Joseph Randle. The rookie running back from Oklahoma State, drafted to help take a load off DeMarco Murray, didn’t practice in the off-season because of a thumb injury, and he was spotty in the first week of camp. But he scored two touchdowns in a goal-line drill last week, and his confidence is high.

Cotton

Staff member
Travis Frederick's poise catches eye

August, 4, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

CANTON, Ohio – Unlike some of the other starters, Travis Frederick will not have any easy night in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game against Miami.

The first-round pick will look to play a lot against the Dolphins at center and at guard and not just because of lack of depth on the interior of the offensive line. The Cowboys want to test him as much as possible leading up to the regular season.

So far through training camp, Frederick has been solid. Troubles with the exchange withTony Romo have been few and far between, which is far different than the issues the Cowboys had last year. Offensive coordinator Bill Callahan laughed when the subject of shotgun snaps came up, knowing trouble lurks around the corner, but he has liked what Frederick has done.

“Travis has really come in and played with remarkable poise fro, Day 1,” Callahan said. “He has a little bit of a veteran presence. It’s interesting. You go through the entirety of practice and you don’t notice him. Sometimes that’s because he’s blended in and fit in so well and he’s doing pretty good.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Whew. After tossing one off to a Kristie video, it truly feels like football season again. :fistpump

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jesus Christ.

Could have done without that mental image, asshole.

Cotton

Staff member
Jesus Christ.

Could have done without that mental image, asshole.
You mean, you don't imagine Kristie sucking cork when she takes a drink from a bottle?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only thing I want out this game tonight is no injuries. It is sad to say that but how this team goes, you almost have to feel that way.

Cotton

Staff member
The only thing I want out this game tonight is no injuries. It is sad to say that but how this team goes, you almost have to feel that way.
I think the coaches feel the same way. Hence a lot of the normal starters not playing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, that's why I'm not excited to see guys like Bruce Carter or Sean Lee. I'd rather those guys just not risk injury. I don't care if we get smoked in this game if it means that all of our injury prone starters sit and are able to stay healthy.

Top Bottom