Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Cardinals| - 8/3/17

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
FWIW, NFLN is re-airing the game right now. I'll watch because I don't have anything better to do at the moment. Shoot, it's the Cowboys so why not?
Yep, was rewatching and paying attention to just Taco. First drive I thought he actually did good. Had good penetration against the run and showed a nice pass rush move if it wasn't for the double team by the RB.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yep, was rewatching and paying attention to just Taco. First drive I thought he actually did good. Had good penetration against the run and showed a nice pass rush move if it wasn't for the double team by the RB.
I like to watch just to see if there are any details I missed. Listening is almost painful though, these commentators are constantly confusing one player with another.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I love Taco. I think he will be great. I think he would have looked better if the camp body DTs could have pushed the pocket back at all. I was just commenting that the term stocky means short and heavy. Not long and lean.

Also Taco was double teamed against the Cards a decent amount.
C-Rock, you're right (as usual) in general regarding stockiness, and I'm only saying TJ's build appears broad and stocky and also that he's lighter by 15-30 pounds than I prefer for RE or LE in our system.

I agree with Booze that Marinelli rarely schemes pressure, but I hope he may be more inclined to do so if everyone up front plays disciplined ball.

Charleton, Collins, Paea, and Irving/Lawrence is a good front and can enable playmakers like Lee and hopefully Jones, Smith, Woods, Awuzie, and Lewis.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Marinelli really increased his blitzing over the last 6 or so games last year, and in the playoff game the defense really improved in the 2nd half in large part due to some creative LB/DB blitzes.

You even saw a bit of it the other night, Anthony Brown and a LB, maybe Wilson, both had sacks within the first 2-3 drives. Awuzie is an excellent blitzer (9 sacks in college) and with him apparently playing a big role as a dime LB I think you will see him brought from alot of different angles.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Marinelli really increased his blitzing over the last 6 or so games last year, and in the playoff game the defense really improved in the 2nd half in large part due to some creative LB/DB blitzes.

You even saw a bit of it the other night, Anthony Brown and a LB, maybe Wilson, both had sacks within the first 2-3 drives. Awuzie is an excellent blitzer (9 sacks in college) and with him apparently playing a big role as a dime LB I think you will see him brought from alot of different angles.
I can't wait to see this secondary take the field. There's no doubt we added a ton of talent.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can't wait to see this secondary take the field. There's no doubt we added a ton of talent.
There's no doubt that our secondary is more talented but there will be growing pains with the rookies and even with Heath as the full-time starting safety. If Carroll can do a reasonable Carr impression and Heath doesn't suck in a full-time role I'm pretty confident the secondary will be far better than last year by the end of this season.

It's just a question of how quick can the rookies get up to speed?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no doubt that our secondary is more talented but there will be growing pains with the rookies and even with Heath as the full-time starting safety. If Carroll can do a reasonable Carr impression and Heath doesn't suck in a full-time role I'm pretty confident the secondary will be far better than last year by the end of this season.

It's just a question of how quick can the rookies get up to speed?
I think the young guys like Awuzie may allow Byron to play more of a true two deep role which I really look forward to. I know it didn't show in the first preseason game but I think that had more to do with the third string LBer who won't make the team not playing his zone correctly. Byron Jones elite range has been showing up in practice in that role and I'd love to see him take the next stwo.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Didn't see as much power as I'd have liked. He got beat badly on one run play to his side as well.

Didn't see too many runs though... that is probably where he would show off that power more.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Nice post. Collins was pretty dominant as you would hope for a starter playing against backups primarily. The one play where the DE made a play was really the RBs fault for not cutting in rather than trying to swing outside and into the DEs arms.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Didn't see as much power as I'd have liked. He got beat badly on one run play to his side as well.
I blame the RB for that play. Collins would have had to decleat that guy to allow the RB the corner. Don't think that's too realistic since it was a DE not a DB or LB. The RB has to react to the blocking that's there.

Cotton

Staff member
Nice post. Collins was pretty dominant as you would hope for a starter playing against backups primarily. The one play where the DE made a play was really the RBs fault for not cutting in rather than trying to swing outside and into the DEs arms.
Yep, and that RB was McFadden. Dude just has zero wiggle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Didn't see too many runs though... that is probably where he would show off that power more.
Which run play did you think he got beat badly on? The one right on the minute mark (Starts at 0:56 I guess) may have looked bad but it was actually a very good block. The RB just decided to go full retard and try to cut outside of the block instead of up inside as the play is designed. Not sure how else a kick out block is supposed to look.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah I thought Collins played pretty well.

On the flip side, McFadden was pretty bad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I thought Collins played pretty well.

On the flip side, McFadden was pretty bad.
Yeah on all those runs I could see room for yards and he just went the wrong direction with shit. Just very poor looking instincts.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah on all those runs I could see room for yards and he just went the wrong direction with shit. Just very poor looking instincts.
He basically has to have a clear lane. You give him that and he's gonna scoot and be tough to bring down. If you make him make a move in the hole, he's not going to do it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Which run play did you think he got beat badly on? The one right on the minute mark (Starts at 0:56 I guess) may have looked bad but it was actually a very good block. The RB just decided to go full retard and try to cut outside of the block instead of up inside as the play is designed. Not sure how else a kick out block is supposed to look.
That could be. McFadden did miss a huge hole on like the second play in the video too. Or ran right into the blocking.

Cotton

Staff member
Damn, this is a good looking route. Noah Brown.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn, this is a good looking route. Noah Brown.

:unsure

Um, does anyone else want to break the news to Iamtdg?

It was an excellent route. But it was by Brian Brown, a WR out of Richmond. Noah Brown wears number 85 I think.

Top Bottom