Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 3 | Dolphins @ Cowboys | 09/22/19

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah I've watched a few Browns games this year and I was thinking about what a fan you were. I think he kind of sucks. Certainly wouldn't take him over Dak.
He's definitely struggling at the moment but a lot of that is attributed to having to play behind one of the worst OLs in football. What the Browns have essentially done is place the engine of a 1979 Ford Pinto (the OL) into the body of a 2018 Aston Martin (the skill position players).

Using your Dak comment as an example. Even Dak struggled and was inconsistent when he didn't have the proper pieces around him. Most people on this very board said Dak sucked in 2017 and parts of 2018.

From what I've noticed it seems that over half the time Mayfield takes a snap on passing downs, he ends up running for his life in under 2 seconds because his OL has already allowed a pass rusher through. But there are also too many times where the OL actually holds up well but Mayfield still scrambles outside the pocket.....possibly because he's so used to having to run for his life that he's doing it out of muscle memory. Historically he hasn't been one of those QBs that makes one quick read then breaks the pocket. Last year and dating back to his college days at Oklahoma he hung in the pocket well, even against elite SEC defenses. So I think this is just a this year problem that will be sorted out down the line once John Dorsey can rebuild that train wreck of an OL.

The Browns OL isn't going to get better this year so Mayfield and Kitchens need to be better. That means adjusting the playbook and scrapping most of those long developing plays. They tried that a little last night but unfortunately for them the Rams are perfectly equipped to defend hot routes and other quick passes. They (the Rams) have one of the better defensive minds in the game at DC, an all time great DT, and a couple of good veteran CBs who are talented and savvy enough to take away hot routes and make QBs hold the ball a little longer.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Kind of highlights what I was talking about.

Inside the pocket he was pretty good but the Browns OTs are human turnstiles so he ends up outside the pocket where he's struggled. You'd like to see him climb the pocket more when he gets that pressure off the edge. I understand last night with #99 terrorizing the interior line, but going forward he needs to hang in there a little longer.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bridgewater threw for 177 yards yesterday, 92 of those went to Kamara, and of those 92 most of them were short checkdowns that Kamara broke for 10-15+. Basically, Bridgewater and that Saints offense is completely incapable if you can contain Kamara, which we're built to do with LB's like LVE/Jaylon. Don't kill ourselves with turnovers/penalties, weather the first quarter where the emotion will be high and it should be a relatively routine win.

1bigfan13

Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
Bridgewater threw for 177 yards yesterday, 92 of those went to Kamara, and of those 92 most of them were short checkdowns that Kamara broke for 10-15+. Basically, Bridgewater and that Saints offense is completely incapable if you can contain Kamara, which we're built to do with LB's like LVE/Jaylon. Don't kill ourselves with turnovers/penalties, weather the first quarter where the emotion will be high and it should be a relatively routine win.
Bridgewater has always been a check down QB in the NFL. He's never been a dynamic but just because he was likable and a great teammate, NFL analysts and fans always talked him up as if he were a budding superstar.

He's a JAG/bus driver. He'll play smart and take care of the football, so I expect another dry weekend for the Cowboys D as far as INTs are concerned.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea, and the Saints winning in Seattle yesterday really takes some of the sting out of this game. At 1-2, coming off two straight road losses, and coming back home desperate for a win on Sunday night would be a difficult spot to weather, we're still the better team so even in that scenario I think we'd have a strong shot. Now that they're coming off an upset win that urgency/desperation won't be there and I don't think they can beat us without that, unless we beat ourselves similar to what Seattle did yesterday.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member