Firing McCarthy

What would it take to warrant firing McCarthy?

• Doesn't matter what happens tonight, he should go if we don't make the NFCC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Before the emotion of the game takes hold I'm curious what people think would warrant firing McCarthy.

I'm not so much asking what would piss you off so much that you think McCarthy 100% has to go, but what would be enough for you to think it'd be reasonable if Jerry/Stephen actually decided to let him go.

For me it'd be a loss with an "average performance", which is to say we played ok, didn't completely kill ourselves with turnovers/penalties, but lost a close one because that's what happens in the NFL. Probably something similar to how we played against the Giants on Thanksgiving but ending in a close loss instead of a win.

I don't think that type of performance should be an "auto-fire" type situation, but I'd understand it if they did it. If we come out completely flat like we did against the 49ers last year and go down double digits 8 minutes into the game, that's an auto-fire situation in my opinion.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If McCarthy is canned, one thing's for sure: he will not be replaced by a young, hotshot coordinator like Daboll, Shanahan or McVay. The new guy will be another middle-aged McCarthy clone with prior head coaching experience because Jerry is 80 and doesn't have the time for a young guy to find his footing and grow into the job--even if that's the best for the team long-term. The only young guy he would consider is someone already in-house (Garrett back in the day and now Moore)--guys he knows and can control.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If McCarthy is canned, one thing's for sure: he will not be replaced by a young, hotshot coordinator like Daboll, Shanahan or McVay. The new guy will be another middle-aged McCarthy clone with prior head coaching experience because Jerry is 80 and doesn't have the time for a young guy to find his footing and grow into the job--even if that's the best for the team long-term. The only young guy he would consider is someone already in-house (Garrett back in the day and now Moore)--guys he knows and can control.
If they fire him I'm certain the replacement will be either Payton or Quinn.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If they fire him I'm certain the replacement will be either Payton or Quinn.
which means my prediction comes true. this insular, family-run business doesn't have the guts to hire a young hotshot with whom they have no history.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fuck no.

People complain all the time about this team doing retarded shit. Then fans push for another one.
Agreed. I'm not giving up draft capital for what essentially amounts to a lateral move.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
God damn you have a hardon for firing McCarthy simp.
It's because I think there's a very good probability that it happens if we lose in embarrassing fashion tonight. I'd only really argue for firing him if tonight is a repeat of the 49ers performance last year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I would say the majority of the young hotshots historically don't work out. Hell you name Daboll but it's still not clear that he's going to be anything (no, beating a fraudulent Vikings team isn't enough).

I'd have zero confidence in the Jones' ability to sift through the candidates and find the right one. I guarantee Jerry hasn't even heard of a lot of them.

The absolute best move would have been going all in on Andy Reid when he shook loose. Now, the McCarthy/Payton types that are experienced and have been successful are our best bets.

Genghis Khan

It's because I think there's a very good probability that it happens if we lose in embarrassing fashion tonight. I'd only really argue for firing him if tonight is a repeat of the 49ers performance last year.

I'd say there's almost no shot, but you've been talking about it all year. You were advocating for firing McCarthy for no other reason than the prospect of losing Quinn a couple months ago.

I get that it'll be frustrating if we go down early in the playoffs yet again, but McCarthy has just piloted the team to back to back playoffs and 12 win seasons. The sins of 07-19 are not his. He's done a good job so far. Let's let it play out some more.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd say there's almost no shot, but you've been talking about it all year. You were advocating for firing McCarthy for no other reason than the prospect of losing Quinn a couple months ago.

I get that it'll be frustrating if we go down early in the playoffs yet again, but McCarthy has just piloted the team to back to back playoffs and 12 win seasons. The sins of 07-19 are not his. He's done a good job so far. Let's let it play out some more.
Yea I think losing Quinn, or the prospect of losing him, makes it even more likely that McCarthy is gone if we lose tonight. The defense has plateaued over the last half of the year so I wouldn't really advocate for replacing McCarthy with Quinn, although if it meant ridding us of Moore I'd be fine with it.

I wouldn't argue hard for McCarthy to be fired unless we see a repeat of the 49er game, although if we lose tonight I think 2023 will truly be do or die in the form of a NFCC appearance at the very least.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think it would be dumb to fire Mike right now.

What I'd be interested in knowing is what it would take for Jerry to finally let Kellen go so Mike could either run the O himself or hire a younger guy he trusts to do it. I wonder how close he's come to telling Jerry that his boy Dak shouldn't be protected from having to learn a new offense. It's not that hard, QBs do it all the time, and it can even help them grow.

Besides, unless they lose a high scoring game where Dak plays great, we're getting to the point where Dak shouldn't have the latitude to make these calls anyway (if he is).

Genghis Khan

Yea I think losing Quinn, or the prospect of losing him, makes it even more likely that McCarthy is gone if we lose tonight. The defense has plateaued over the last half of the year so I wouldn't really advocate for replacing McCarthy with Quinn, although if it meant ridding us of Moore I'd be fine with it.

We can find another defensive coordinator. It would be silly to fire a much more accomplished HC to replace him with his DC just because we're afraid to lose him. McCarthy has done a better job overall than Quinn even if we're just talking about their respective tenures in Dallas. Quinn has done a good job turning the defense around but some of that is because the defense was so bad under Nolan. A lot of DCs would have made the defense look a lot better than 2020. Meanwhile this defense has been pretty mediocre for the past month.

If the team was losing a lot of games, or if McCarthy had been here for 5-6 years and couldn't get over the hump I'd get it. But that's not the case right now.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think consecutive 12 win seasons is quite an accomplishment in Dallas. That's something that hadn't been done in close to 30 years. Plus back-to-back playoff seasons for the first time in 15 years buys him another year in my book.

If the offense struggles again, I move on from Kellen Moore. His track record vs seasoned/quality defensive coordinators has been shaky throughout his OC tenure.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The shine is really off Quinn. We lose our second best CB and suddenly the wheels come off. Parsons? Looks gassed. Sacks? What are those?

Top Bottom