Feds to Bring in Riot Squad Against Illegal Immigration Protesters...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Jiggyfly

Banned
I already said I believe this group is the majority of the takers. I don't have any numbers on how many do. I believe that the majority of welfare , social security disability, food stamp, Medicaid, etc., is distributed to this group. I am not including social security recipients who are over 65 in this equation.
That was never the question asked.

Do you think that a person making 30k a year should be looked at as a taker, yes or no.

And what percentage of people making 30k a year are on welfare in your mind?

Its no secret that poor people are the ones on welfare but is 30K the line of demarcation in your mind?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That was never the question asked.

Do you think that a person making 30k a year should be looked at as a taker, yes or no.

And what percentage of people making 30k a year are on welfare in your mind?

Its no secret that poor people are the ones on welfare but is 30K the line of demarcation in your mind?
I have said I believe they are. I don't know how many. It may be more or less than 30K but it is the lower income group in my opinion. If a person makes 30K or less and gets some subsidy from a state or federal agency yes they are a taker. I believe I have said all this before.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Well guess what. The large corporationd and business pay most of the taxes that are redistributed by the government so it's hard to think of this as a giveaway when you have paid the frieght up front.
You are told they pay the most in taxes, in the article you quoted Fortune 500 companies received 63 billion in subsidies.
According to the other article I posted many don't pay the taxes that you just claimed.

There was a list of 78 companies that paid no taxes despite huge profits and received huge government subsidies.

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/corporate-welfare/corporate-welfare-statistics-vs-social-welfare-statistics/

2233boys

Not So New Member
I don't see the point to this except the rich get to keep some of their money and the poor do not get what they didn't pay.
You have lambasted people in this forum for getting government handouts, not tax breaks but handouts. When someone shows you there are many rich people doing the same things OH well they are keeping their money. They aren't this is your money my money. In the last article I posted it stated About $59 billion is spent on traditional social welfare programs. $92 billion is spent on corporate subsidies. So, the government spent 50% more on corporate welfare than it did on food stamps and housing assistance in 2006.

Subsidies not them keeping their tax money or money they earned subsidies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You are told they pay the most in taxes, in the article you quoted Fortune 500 companies received 63 billion in subsidies.
According to the other article I posted many don't pay the taxes that you just claimed.

There was a list of 78 companies that paid no taxes despite huge profits and received huge government subsidies.

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/corporate-welfare/corporate-welfare-statistics-vs-social-welfare-statistics/
No doubt ther are some that get by but in the final scheme of things business pays the majority of the taxes in this country. That is business of all sizes. In addition business of all sizes employ the majority of jobs. You cannot get taxes from individuals that have little or no earnings. I shouldn't even have to make that statement.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I have said I believe they are. I don't know how many. It may be more or less than 30K but it is the lower income group in my opinion. If a person makes 30K or less and gets some subsidy from a state or federal agency yes they are a taker. I believe I have said all this before.
What about the rich or corporations who take hand outs? Are they takers.

2233boys

Not So New Member
No doubt ther are some that get by but in the final scheme of things business pays the majority of the taxes in this country. That is business of all sizes. In addition business of all sizes employ the majority of jobs. You cannot get taxes from individuals that have little or no earnings. I shouldn't even have to make that statement.
Some? Apparently 78 major corporations who make billions don't either. I posted that for you to read too. Your last statement is nothing but posturing. You never mentioned it once in our conversation here and it wasn't something I even mentioned.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I see so in your mind a person making 30k is poor.

That tells me a lot about how you view the world and tells me you are out of touch.

2233boys

Not So New Member
94-00 I made 30,000 or less a year and I paid taxes, never had any handouts either. I missed the boat.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Wrong

http://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway/2013/09/12/most-americans-do-indeed-pay-federal-taxes-including-the-poor/

Nearly 63 percent of households in the lowest 20 percent of income (those making less than about $23,500) will pay some Medicare and Social Security taxes in 2013.
And everybody pays sales tax.

Jiggyfly

Banned
94-00 I made 30,000 or less a year and I paid taxes, never had any handouts either. I missed the boat.
Yeah its absurd to think most people making 30k or less are on the dole and voting for handouts.

Jiggyfly

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-altman/obama-welfare_b_1835061.html

In fiscal year 2009, during the depths of the recession, about 2 million families received welfare benefits from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. In these families, 85% of adult recipients were single parents; the rest were married. I did the math, and I found out that the total number of adults in these families had to be less than 2.2 million. In other words, a maximum of about 3 percent of Barack Obama's 69.5 million votes in 2008 came from people on welfare -- and that's assuming every single adult on welfare voted, and they all voted for Obama.
What are the chances that they all voted for Obama? Well, I can't find any exit polls that asked voters whether they were on welfare. We can try to estimate how people voted using other statistics, though. Here's how: look at the total number of adults who receive benefits, and use a combination of exit polls and a broad-based social survey to try to estimate how they voted in 2008.

We do know that almost all black voters voted for Obama. If welfare recipients were no different, then Obama could have counted on a little more than a third of welfare recipients' votes. That's a maximum of about 1 percent of his base.

For people of other races -- which didn't vote so uniformly for Obama -- we might get better estimates by looking at the General Social Survey, which asks respondents about their incomes and voting histories. In the 2010 survey, I looked at non-black respondents with children whose families earned less than $20,000 a year, which is a rough approximation of the eligibility standard for welfare. Of course, many families who fit this description don't receive welfare, and the survey's results are based on a sample of just a couple thousand people. But these data might still give some good hints about welfare recipients' political preferences.

According to the data, about three quarters of these poor, non-black adults voted in the presidential election. Among the voters, 50% went for Obama. So among non-black welfare recipients, perhaps three in eight might be part of Obama's base. That share would amount to roughly 0.75% of his overall base.

We can use the same methodology to check the earlier supposition that all black welfare recipients did indeed vote. In fact, only about 75% of the blacks with children and family incomes under $20,000 did vote in 2008. If that also held true for welfare recipients, they could have made up no more than 0.75% of Obama's overall base.

Adding the figures in the last two paragraphs together, I got my final estimate: welfare recipients probably made up no more than 1.5% of Obama's overall voter base in 2008.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What about the rich or corporations who take hand outs? Are they takers.
Yes, but they at least contribute more to the economic system than a person on actual welfare.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That was 14-20 years ago. The same income category doesn't apply today.

Top Bottom