Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Emmitt
Tony
Herschel
Duane Thomas
Zeke
I'm at a total disadvantage being 38 years old and missing most if not all of some of those guys playing careers. Clearly Emmitt and Tony are at the top of the list. Not sure how anyone could argue for anything different. Did Herschel Walker really have that great of a career in Dallas to surpass Zeke? The trade was awesome but prior to that he had only been here 3 full seasons and only one of those seasons was great. The guy only surpassed 1000 yards twice in his career. Again, I was a baby in the 80's so I was not around for the 1500 yard rushing season he had in Dallas. But arguably Demarco Murray had a better career in Dallas. (Or are we giving bonus points for the trade rape?)

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd put Walker above Zeke.

That's at least debatable. It's a hard comparison to make because Walker spent his prime in the USFL and splitting time with Dorsett.

From a pure rushing numbers standpoint, Zeke wins in every major category head to head as a runner, but not by a lot.

But Herschel in his prime was insanely good.

My counter to that would be, so was Elliott. It's a close debate.

Genghis Khan

Emmitt
Tony
Herschel
Duane Thomas
Zeke

Thomas was also before my time but was an interesting case study. He really only had 2 good years and never rushed for 1000 yards (yes there only 14 games back then). But he was really great for those two years.

It's a shame his attitude wasn't better because he was out of the league at 27.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Like Herschel, Duane had to split carries with another talented back (Hill). Could've been an all-timer had he kept his head on straight.

Genghis Khan

Like Herschel, Duane had to split carries with another talented back (Hill). Could've been an all-timer had he kept his head on straight.

Landry was smarter about how he used RBs as opposed to for example Garrett who rode Zeke into the ground for 4 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Landry was smarter about how he used RBs as opposed to for example Garrett who rode Zeke into the ground for 4 years.
If Zeke's carries were limited I wonder if that would have really extended his career much or not. Obviously there is no way to really know. I just always wondered, is it like a tire, where there is only so much mileage on a guy. Or is it more an age thing where those miles tick off even if you limit a guy to 15 carries a game.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
From a pure rushing numbers standpoint, Zeke wins in every major category head to head as a runner, but not by a lot.

But Herschel in his prime was insanely good.

My counter to that would be, so was Elliott. It's a close debate.
Elliott had that crazy great OL, though. Would have loved to see Herschel run behind those guys.

Genghis Khan

If Zeke's carries were limited I wonder if that would have really extended his career much or not. Obviously there is no way to really know. I just always wondered, is it like a tire, where there is only so much mileage on a guy. Or is it more an age thing where those miles tick off even if you limit a guy to 15 carries a game.

I think it's a little bit of both and it depends on the guy.

Everyone thought Elliott was toast last year (I don't although he's clearly declined) but he was 27. That's not age.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think Herschel was probably the more talented runner than Zeke but Herschel was probably a more talented runner than both Dorsett and Emmitt too frankly. Herschel was a Bo Jackson-like freak.

He played for some bad teams and bounced around, and of course spent his prime in the USFL. If he played for a winner and spent his whole career in the NFL he’s probably considered more of an all time great.

If we are going strictly by their Dallas careers, Elliott is above Walker.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Herschel and Emmitt could pretty much only run out of the I. Neither could turn the corner very well.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Agreed. Herschel played with complete shit and was the entire focus of opposing defenses. And still dominated.

If anything, I think he’s underrated.
So fing true. 2000+ scrimmage yards on the worst team in the league with what was then among the worst offensive lines and for some games a feeble Danny White still playing QB.

Tom Landry had that team’s front office home eating dinner by 5pm daily. Totally lost touch with how the NFL had evolved.

Walker was still making big plays for Dallas in the mid-late 1990’s.

Top Bottom