ESPN the Magazine feature: Jerry Football

Carl

RIP Brother

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The morning after they shook hands on the $151 million price tag, Bright called Jones at home and told him a group had just offered to buy the Cowboys for $10 million more.
Just think... If that group had called 24 hours sooner, Jerry might not have ever owned the Cowboys.

:lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How many of us would act differently if we owned the Cowboys. Be honest now. I am not talking about GM duties I am talking lifestyle.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just think... If that group had called 24 hours sooner, Jerry might not have ever owned the Cowboys.

Well, that's just really fucking depressing.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
How many of us would act differently if we owned the Cowboys. Be honest now. I am not talking about GM duties I am talking lifestyle.
Lifestyle? Yeah, I'd be living up it Jerry style for sure. One thing though...I'd like to think I'd have a little more respect for my wife than to be a well-known, shameless womanizer, but clearly the two of them have some sort of agreement that they have come to about that. And if that's the case then hey, have at it I guess.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If I owned the Cowboys and hadn't won fuck all but 1 playoff game in 20 years my ego wouldn't let me continue dicking around like this idiot.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I've heard Bright targeted Jerry because Jerry was going to fire Landry. Bright blamed everyone but himself for the team going downhill and wanted the new owner to make a clean sweep.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I've heard Bright targeted Jerry because Jerry was going to fire Landry. Bright blamed everyone but himself for the team going downhill and wanted the new owner to make a clean sweep.
In the article, it said Bright offered to fire Landry before the sale went final, but Jones said he'd do it. Then it went on to say how he regrets how he handled that and the subsequent news conference announcing his ownership and the hiring of J. Johnson.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Lifestyle or the womanizing part? Sure. I would have nice things but I sure as hell wouldn't treat my wife or family like he has.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In the article, it said Bright offered to fire Landry before the sale went final, but Jones said he'd do it. Then it went on to say how he regrets how he handled that and the subsequent news conference announcing his ownership and the hiring of J. Johnson.
My understanding is that Bright was to inform Landry that he had sold the team and the new owner was bringing in his own Coach. Bright either didn't tell Landry or waited too long because Jones and Johnson were having dinner in Dallas and a news story broke saying they spotted the new owner Jones with Johnson and he was in town to become the new coach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Lifestyle or the womanizing part? Sure. I would have nice things but I sure as hell wouldn't treat my wife or family like he has.
I wasn't really talking about his purported womanizing. I guess I didn't pose the question clearly. I was talking about the glitzy and glamour lifestyle.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Asked to grade his performance as GM, he says, "I'd give a C. If we had won a half a game more a year, we would be in the top five winningest teams in the NFL. ... We've been in a rut. Now, that stops with me. But the best person to get it out of the rut is me."
I completely agree. The Cowboys only get out of this rut when he steps aside.

So yes, Jerry, technically speaking you're the best person to get Dallas out of this rut.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I completely agree. The Cowboys only get out of this rut when he steps aside.

So yes, Jerry, technically speaking you're the best person to get Dallas out of this rut.
We have known about his ego for a long time, but the fact that he actually says things like that really fucking pisses me off. I mean on one hand he says he grades himself a C as a GM, and then he turns around and says that he is the best man to clean up the mess he made. Infuriating barely covers it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
But Parcells and Jones would soon clash. Jones moved the training camp from Oxnard, California, where it's cool in summer, to San Antonio, where it feels like a blast furnace. Parcells was furious; Jones explained that Ford, the team's top training camp sponsor, was far bigger in Texas than California and that another sponsor, Dr Pepper, was more popular with San Antonio's Hispanic community. "Let me get this straight," Parcells told Jones. "We got a multibillion-dollar corporation, and we're worried about selling f---ing soda?"

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We have known about his ego for a long time, but the fact that he actually says things like that really fucking pisses me off. I mean on one hand he says he grades himself a C as a GM, and then he turns around and says that he is the best man to clean up the mess he made. Infuriating barely covers it.
Goosfraba.

Top Bottom