'Duck Dynasty': Phil Robertson anti-gay sermon surfaces

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Since Phil is such a big fan of the bible, here's one the old man of the duck family needs to adhere to: Proverbs 18:2 "A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion". Quack on that for a while.
It seems to me that Phil had a pretty good understanding of the Bible. He specifically said he doesn't judge anyone for their lifestyle and loves them regardless. "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

But I guess anyone with limited knowledge and an axe to grind can take a single verse from the Bible and make it fit their own personal worldview. Color me unimpressed.

"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools." Romans 1:22

Jiggyfly

Banned
It seems to me that Phil had a pretty good understanding of the Bible. He specifically said he doesn't judge anyone for their lifestyle and loves them regardless. "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

But I guess anyone with limited knowledge and an axe to grind can take a single verse from the Bible and make it fit their own personal worldview. Color me unimpressed.

"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools." Romans 1:22
Yeah that sermon was just overflowing with love.:lol

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Yeah that sermon was just overflowing with love.:lol
Why, because he refused to endorse gay marriage and every other sinful behavior that goes against biblical teachings? It cracks me up to see all the people who believe you have to claim to love whatever they do or else you're an intolerant bigot. Give me a break and grow up. You're going to do things others don't approve of and so am I. We all do, but to expect and demand that others tell you it's ok is childish and ridiculous.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've said it all day on Facebook and I'll say it here.... This is a brilliant publicity stunt by ole' Phil and A&E. The ratings will have never been better.
I don't think the sermon he gave was part of the publicity stunt that the article in the magazine was.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why, because he refused to endorse gay marriage and every other sinful behavior that goes against biblical teachings? It cracks me up to see all the people who believe you have to claim to love whatever they do or else you're an intolerant bigot. Give me a break and grow up. You're going to do things others don't approve of and so am I. We all do, but to expect and demand that others tell you it's ok is childish and ridiculous.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think the sermon he gave was part of the publicity stunt that the article in the magazine was.
I believe the sermon was from 2010.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I just wonder how many times 'Ol Phil and anyone else who thinks homosexuality is a 'sin' ever rubbed one out to two chicks eating the box.

Or is it only bad when dick is involved? I need a ruling here

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I just wonder how many times 'Ol Phil and anyone else who thinks homosexuality is a 'sin' ever rubbed one out to two chicks eating the box.

Definitely not bad if dick is involved with two other chicks.

D

Deuce

Ian Bayne, GOP Congressional Candidate: 'Duck Dynasty Star Is Rosa Parks Of Our Generation' by Amanda Terkel - Huffington Post

WASHINGTON -- Embattled "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson has been suspended from his show by A&E for his remarks about gays and African-Americans, and now some high-profile conservatives are rallying to his side and defending him. On Friday, GOP congressional candidate Ian Bayne went all in, comparing Robertson to civil rights icon Rosa Parks.

"In December 1955, Rosa Parks took a stand against an unjust societal persecution of black people, and in December 2013, Robertson took a stand against persecution of Christians," Bayne said in an email to supporters.

"What Parks did was courageous," he added. "What Mr. Robertson did was courageous too."

Robertson's anti-gay remarks in an interview with GQ comparing homosexuality to bestiality have received quite a bit of attention. But he also commented on the state of African-Americans during the Jim Crow era, claiming that they were all carefree and totally happy with their (unequal) status:
I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.
Bayne is essentially praising Robertson for whitewashing the struggles that Parks fought so hard to eradicate. And Robertson's comments do not at all reflect what was actually happening with African Americans in pre-civil rights Louisiana, as the Atlantic's Ta-Neihisi Coates points out:
That is because governance in Phil Robertson's Louisiana was premised on terrorism. As late as 1890, the majority of people in Louisiana were black. As late as 1902, they still lived under threat of slavery through debt peonage and the convict-lease system. Virtually all of them were pilfered of their vote and their tax dollars. Plunder and second slavery were enforced by violence, as when the besiegers of Colfax massacred 50 black freedmen with rifles and cannon and tossed their bodies into a river. Even today the Colfax Massacre is honored in Louisiana as the rightful "end of carpetbag misrule."

The black people who Phil Robertson knew were warred upon. If they valued their lives, and the lives of their families, the last thing they would have done was voiced a complaint about "white people" to a man like Robertson. Ignorance is no great sin and one can forgive the good-natured white person for not knowing how all that cannibal sausage was truly made. But having been presented with a set of facts, Robertson's response is to cite "welfare" and "entitlement" as the true culprits.
Bayne, a conservative talk radio host, is one of four Republicans in a competitive primary vying to challenge Rep. Bill Foster (D-Ill.) in 2014.

"Duck Dynasty" will continue on A&E, but the network suspended Robertson indefinitely. Since then, conservatives like fellow reality TV star Sarah Palin and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) have defended Robertson.

Kbrown

Not So New Member

This would be relevant if he claimed to be sinless himself. I think he's gone into depth about his sinful past before.

Some people just recognize their sins as sins. Others form groups with a big acronym to lobby congress and manipulate the media into having their sins accepted on threat of banishment from public life.

Cotton

Staff member
Rosa Parks? Really?

Good lord.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ian Bayne, GOP Congressional Candidate: 'Duck Dynasty Star Is Rosa Parks Of Our Generation' by Amanda Terkel - Huffington Post

WASHINGTON -- Embattled "Duck Dynasty" star Phil Robertson has been suspended from his show by A&E for his remarks about gays and African-Americans, and now some high-profile conservatives are rallying to his side and defending him. On Friday, GOP congressional candidate Ian Bayne went all in, comparing Robertson to civil rights icon Rosa Parks.

"In December 1955, Rosa Parks took a stand against an unjust societal persecution of black people, and in December 2013, Robertson took a stand against persecution of Christians," Bayne said in an email to supporters.

"What Parks did was courageous," he added. "What Mr. Robertson did was courageous too."

Robertson's anti-gay remarks in an interview with GQ comparing homosexuality to bestiality have received quite a bit of attention. But he also commented on the state of African-Americans during the Jim Crow era, claiming that they were all carefree and totally happy with their (unequal) status:
I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.
Bayne is essentially praising Robertson for whitewashing the struggles that Parks fought so hard to eradicate. And Robertson's comments do not at all reflect what was actually happening with African Americans in pre-civil rights Louisiana, as the Atlantic's Ta-Neihisi Coates points out:
That is because governance in Phil Robertson's Louisiana was premised on terrorism. As late as 1890, the majority of people in Louisiana were black. As late as 1902, they still lived under threat of slavery through debt peonage and the convict-lease system. Virtually all of them were pilfered of their vote and their tax dollars. Plunder and second slavery were enforced by violence, as when the besiegers of Colfax massacred 50 black freedmen with rifles and cannon and tossed their bodies into a river. Even today the Colfax Massacre is honored in Louisiana as the rightful "end of carpetbag misrule."

The black people who Phil Robertson knew were warred upon. If they valued their lives, and the lives of their families, the last thing they would have done was voiced a complaint about "white people" to a man like Robertson. Ignorance is no great sin and one can forgive the good-natured white person for not knowing how all that cannibal sausage was truly made. But having been presented with a set of facts, Robertson's response is to cite "welfare" and "entitlement" as the true culprits.
Bayne, a conservative talk radio host, is one of four Republicans in a competitive primary vying to challenge Rep. Bill Foster (D-Ill.) in 2014.

"Duck Dynasty" will continue on A&E, but the network suspended Robertson indefinitely. Since then, conservatives like fellow reality TV star Sarah Palin and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) have defended Robertson.

:lol

Yep. He's like fucking Rosa Parks.

What a fucking stupid thing to say.

Regardless of party lines and how you feel about the GOP, this is about as retarded as it gets.

Cotton

Staff member

Regardless of party lines and how you feel about the GOP, this is about as retarded as it gets.
He's fighting for the oppressed Christians, booze.

D

Deuce

I thought he was just trolling for radio play and exposure like this, but how do you make a comment like this when expecting to run for office?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He's fighting for the oppressed Christians, booze.
I don't know anything about Duck Dynasty or Robertson or what he said but aren't you being a little disparaging about Christians by generalizing them with his comments?

D

Deuce

I don't know anything about Duck Dynasty or Robertson or what he said but aren't you being a little disparaging about Christians by generalizing them with his comments?
He was being sarcastic towards an idiot on the radio.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He was being sarcastic towards an idiot on the radio.
Maybe so but it came across to me as being sarcastic about "oppressed Christians" but as I said I know nothing of Robertson or his comments.

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe so but it came across to me as being sarcastic about "oppressed Christians" but as I said I know nothing of Robertson or his comments.
I was referring to the moron referenced above that equated some redneck from podunk Louisiana to Rosa Parks.

Top Bottom