Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Here's a thought.

If Brian Waters wants to return..... do you kick Martin out to tackle right away? Is that your best 5?

Tyron Smith
Ron Leary
Travis Frederick
Brian Waters
Zack Martin

or

Tyron Smith
Ron Leary
Travis Frederick
Zack Martin
Doug Free
Bernadeau was better than Leary last year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a thought.

If Brian Waters wants to return..... do you kick Martin out to tackle right away? Is that your best 5?

Tyron Smith
Ron Leary
Travis Frederick
Brian Waters
Zack Martin

or

Tyron Smith
Ron Leary
Travis Frederick
Zack Martin
Doug Free
Martin could be the top backup at every position :unsure

In all seriousness I wouldn't bother with Waters. I'd go with option two and use Bernie as a top backup at center/guard.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Here's a thought.

Tyron Smith
Ron Leary
Travis Frederick
Brian Waters
Zack Martin

or

Tyron Smith
Ron Leary
Travis Frederick
Zack Martin
Doug Free
Free had a pretty good year last year. And you'd want to bench him for old ass Waters?

No thanks. He can stay home now.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:picard

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bernadeau was better than Leary last year.
Leary was good last year but his knee still worries the shit out of me.

Bernadeau was a huge surprise but he was also good. Martin's long term spot in my opinion is RT a year from now.

data

Forbes #1
Press Conference:

Jerruh: Spent a lot of time looking at trade backs. Spent almost 8 or 9 minutes looking at that. We had semi-offers - we didn't refuse firm offers.

Jerruh: Fact that we got ROmo more protection. It took any of the positives look - there's no way there's any QB that beats Tony Romo. For a plyer to come in immediately and help us out and Martin being available mitigated going with JOhnny Manziel. Romo's contract and by committment, Romo will be QB for several years. That's why we didn't spend a lot of time in this draft on Manziel.

Garrett: Games are won up front. Teams that can control both sides of the ball. We needed to build the infrastructure - Martin in same mold as Traveis Fredereick. Martin consistently came up as best players in this draft during our eval process. Need to draft BPA and we felt we did that today.

Garrett: People argue Martin can play all 5 positions - we'll initially try him at guard.

Garrett: Don't want to declare left or right side yet. Has shown position flex. He's played a lot of snaps at a high level. mentally and physically can handle it. We'll be a better offensive line, offense and defense - run the ball more and control the clock more.

Jerruh: By definition, you could count some offers as firm offers. Making a correction. Not one we were fully interested in.

Jerruh: TOny has everything to do with this decision of passing on Manziel. We have big commitment to Tony Romo and anything we look at for QB is down the road and for the development of that QB. Giving up this type of player (Martin) and what he could do for Tony Romo didn't make sense. John Madden said to me that "Jerry, Cowboys have all the flash and visibility you could ever conjure up. Make the decisions on players/coaches that win the games. You don't need flash to be successfull in the NFL." I've always remembered that and, frankly, was never a thought. Flair, flash, show biz was never a factor here.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Free had a pretty good year last year. And you'd want to bench him for old ass Waters?

No thanks. He can stay home now.
I don't know, Waters had a real positive effect on our ol while he was there. He could be a great influence for Martin

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Listening to the PC, Jerry didn't say it outright, but they were shocked when they didn't get huge offers to move up for Manziel.

But props to them for sitting tight and selecting the non-flashy best player on their board. Or their best non-QB on their board.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know, Waters had a real positive effect on our ol while he was there. He could be a great influence for Martin
Yeah, I don't know who I would say was better.... Waters or Free.

Waters obviously may be more injury prone at this stage.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jerry said that besides DL, interior OL was their #1 priority to improve.

Funny since I was told our guards were good.

data

Forbes #1
Jerruh: I was surprised that Manziel was there, but more suprised it didn't bring a bonanza of offers to increase options. I was also surprised that Martin was there.

Jerruh: Didn't spend any time debating what Martin was. Only looked at trade options. Nice to have defense but...we do need help with our OL interior. OL interior is 2nd priority behind DL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought so until Bernie stepped in and looked great. I think the real positive influence was Frederick. He had two massive impacts on the O-line. First of all he stabilized the line of scrimmage. Meaning he didn't go backwards at all. When that happens it makes the jobs of guys around him so much easier. The second impact he had was with regards to line calls. Frederick is a very smart guy who got the calls right.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jerry basically tells the world that we will not be looking at offense for the next few picks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry said that besides DL, interior OL was their #1 priority to improve.

Funny since I was told our guards were good.
So now Jerry is a smart man. :lol

You're funny. Any other time Jerry is an idiot but lord knows when it fits an agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom