Draft Grades

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That's hard to prove. He landed Shaun Ellis, John Abraham and Chad Pennington in that round. The only bust was the TE drafted in the mid-20s. The rest, while injury prone in a few cases, had very productive careers.

Now, if you're factoring in where our guys were selected and factor in the salaries relative to the others, then you're absolutely right.
Goddamm... Can't one Homer-hyperbol-out without some ass fact-pissing all over it! :picard

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So concensus is that Dallas ended the draft selections sucking big time and with an average grade of C- then with one additional pickup jumped to A+. I liked the draft as a whole before the final pick at about a B-.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
That's hard to prove. He landed Shaun Ellis, John Abraham and Chad Pennington in that round. The only bust was the TE drafted in the mid-20s. The rest, while injury prone in a few cases, had very productive careers.

Now, if you're factoring in where our guys were selected and factor in the salaries relative to the others, then you're absolutely right.
Anthony Becht wasn't a bust. He probably didn't live up to draft position, but he was a great blocker and lasted 10 years in the league.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So concensus is that Dallas ended the draft selections sucking big time and with an average grade of C- then with one additional pickup jumped to A+. I liked the draft as a whole before the final pick at about a B-.
The consensus is that the draft was a C-?

:lol

I'd like to think the consensus consists of more than just a couple of morons.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The consensus is that the draft was a C-?

I'd like to think the consensus consists of more than just a couple of morons.
The draft was a failure according to many on this board before Collins was picked up.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Anthony Becht wasn't a bust. He probably didn't live up to draft position, but he was a great blocker and lasted 10 years in the league.
True, but he wasn't drafted to just be a productive blocker. Perhaps "bust" was the wrong word. He was more of an average player.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The draft was a failure according to many on this board before Collins was picked up.
People were confusing the draft with the offseason's overall failure to bring in a real starting RB.

The team has way too much faith in Joseph Randle and Darren McFadden, and the hate for the draft probably reflected that.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
we are one injury away from Lance Dunbar getting 10-15 carries a game. Still, I wouldn't have done anything different in the first 2 rounds.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wouldn't have considered it a failure even before the Collins pickup. I didn't like a couple of the picks, but getting 2 (if Byron Jones pans out) first round talents in the first two rounds alone makes it a success, IMO.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I wouldn't have considered it a failure even before the Collins pickup. I didn't like a couple of the picks, but getting 2 (if Byron Jones pans out) first round talents in the first two rounds alone makes it a success, IMO.
I thought it was a pretty good draft as well. The commets by some would make you think the whole shebag was a pointless exercise. Then came Collis and the hallelujah course kicked in.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I thought it was a pretty good draft as well. The commets by some would make you think the whole shebag was a pointless exercise. Then came Collis and the hallelujah course kicked in.
There was initial disappointment after the first couple of picks but that happens almost every year since the Cowboys often take players that are not as highly rated as the national media/draftnik consensus. But did you expect anything other than a hallelujah chorus (I believe that is the word you were looking for there) when Collins was signed? A first round talent was signed as an UDFA right after the draft, not only making the rich richer along the OL, but preventing another team in the division from signing him and strengthening their team. That kind of weird circumstantial addition is going to bump the draft grade way up and for good reason.

Also, you got she bagged? Didn't enjoy it much, eh?

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There was initial disappointment after the first couple of picks but that happens almost every year since the Cowboys often take players that are not as highly rated as the national media/draftnik consensus. But did you expect anything other than a hallelujah chorus (I believe that is the word you were looking for there) when Collins was signed? A first round talent was signed as an UDFA right after the draft, not only making the rich richer along the OL, but preventing another team in the division from signing him and strengthening their team. That kind of weird circumstantial addition is going to bump the draft grade way up and for good reason.

Also, you got she bagged? Didn't enjoy it much, eh?
Chorus is the correct word. "She bagged" is out of my dialogue range. Has no effectual meaning to me. Never heard the term so I guess I will google it and see if you are being humorus or disrespectful.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wouldn't a "C" grade be considered average? Or just below average with the minus? That's what you said the consensus was. Now it was a failure? Wouldn't that be an "F"?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wouldn't a "C" grade be considered average? Or just below average with the minus? That's what you said the consensus was. Now it was a failure? Wouldn't that be an "F"?
I didn't say it was a failure. I wasn't dissappointed in it before Collins. It was a surprise to me that some went from lamenting to rejoicing in such a short span of time over one individual.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I didn't say it was a failure. I wasn't dissappointed in it before Collins. It was a surprise to me that some went from lamenting to rejoicing in such a short span of time over one individual.
~sigh~

I didn't say YOU said it was a failure. You said earlier, 'the consensus was it was a C- draft.' Then you said it was 'a failure according to many.' The many would BE the consensus.

And people not liking the end of the draft, then being happy at what basically is a free first rounder falling in your lap is not so hard to understand. They are two different things.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Chorus is the correct word. "She bagged" is out of my dialogue range. Has no effectual meaning to me. Never heard the term so I guess I will google it and see if you are being humorus or disrespectful.

Just being more juvenile than anything else.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Dallas ranked Chaz Green a better player than Matt Jones, Jeremy Langford, Buck Allen, Mike Davis, and Jay Ajayi then more power to them. Ditto if they truly ranked Damien Wilson over Ajayi and his cousin David Cobb.

The draft... in isolation... was fine.

But in the context of an offseason where Dallas lost their overall #2 impact player at a position that gets the ball 500 times a year in this offense coupled with the deep RB class you have to wonder how in the world Dallas passed on every single RB except Gordon and Gurley.

They can still grab depth as cuts happen over the next few months, but it is a very big hole right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
we are one injury away from Lance Dunbar getting 10-15 carries a game. Still, I wouldn't have done anything different in the first 2 rounds.
Why do you think that. McFadden and Randle are definitely higher on the depth chart and I think Williams could be as well before it's all said and done. Is one injury knocking out all 3?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think Dunbar makes the final roster.

Top Bottom