Doug Free could miss 3-4 weeks with a foot injury

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least those fans have evidence on their side.

Anyway... Leary is playing much better this year than last year... if you can't admit that, then there is no reason to continue this conversation.
He is playing at an elite level this year. OF course he is playing better then he was last year. Of course that doesn't mean he wasn't good last year, he just wasn't dominant. The kind of improvement you would expect out of a young O-lineman going into his second season as a starter. But hey, I'm the crazy one here according to you.

superpunk

Banned
remember when everyone was like oh jerry you old kook talking up ronald leary lol his knees / he's no larry allen

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He is playing at an elite level this year. OF course he is playing better then he was last year. Of course that doesn't mean he wasn't good last year, he just wasn't dominant. The kind of improvement you would expect out of a young O-lineman going into his second season as a starter. But hey, I'm the crazy one here according to you.
You are, if you thought Leary was good late in the year last year. He was beaten far too often.

Oh wait.... 5.2 ypc! I guess that means Bernadeau was a stud too, since he was also starting on that line.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
remember when everyone was like oh jerry you old kook talking up ronald leary lol his knees / he's no larry allen
Actually, pretty much everyone liked the Leary gamble, including me. He had a third round grade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are, if you thought Leary was good late in the year last year. He was beaten far too often.

Oh wait.... 5.2 ypc! I guess that means Bernadeau was a stud too, since he was also starting on that line.
Bernie was solid as well. You can't just shit your way to having a running game that productive on every carry.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Bernie was solid as well. You can't just shit your way to having a running game that productive on every carry.
He was solid compared to Phil Costa, not compared to Zack Martin.

And he was about on par with Leary.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Beating out the astounding Mackenzie Bernadeau is really something to brag about.

Newsflash... Bernadeau is another player that, if he was playing now, I'd be saying we need to upgrade.

Last year the two players were about equal. Actually, I seem to remember some people on here even saying Bernadeau was better, there was legit debate about it.

Leary took a step this year. It's that simple.

You are a moron if you think he's not playing light years better this year as opposed to last year.
I guess the coaching staff are morons since you know they did not even have Leary compete for a job over the guy that played equal to him last year.:dunce

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Leary has more power than Bernadeau, easy to see. Plus he plays angry.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Actually Dallas ran predominantly to the left side and the YPC was higher.

I wonder why.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I guess the coaching staff are morons since you know they did not even have Leary compete for a job over the guy that played equal to him last year.:dunce
I don't know that. I do know that since he's playing better this year, it's no stretch to say that he's been clearly better than Bernadeau since training camp.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Leary has more power than Bernadeau, easy to see. Plus he plays angry.
Not arguing them as long term players, clearly Leary has the better skill set.

Just saying that Leary struggled last year and because of that there was actually legit debate as to which player was better last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was solid compared to Phil Costa, not compared to Zack Martin.

And he was about on par with Leary.
Not sure what Costa and Zack Martin have to do with it. You certainly need more then just Smith and Frederick to run the ball as well as we did last year. So that means someone out of that Free, Bernie, Leary group was playing a lot better then you ever wanted to give credit.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not sure what Costa and Zack Martin have to do with it.
They are comparisons... as in.... when I say Leary was bad, I mean he wasn't good enough to be what I'd like as a starting RG. That means you aren't as good as a phenom like Martin, but also doesn't mean you are as train-wreck bad as Phil Costa. It just means you aren't good enough. Leary fit into that category last year and Bernadeau fits into it, well, every year. Doesn't mean Bernadeau is a liability or you can't have a positive rushing attack, it just means you can and should do better.

This year, Leary is significantly better.

You certainly need more then just Smith and Frederick to run the ball as well as we did last year.
Number one, I don't accept the narrative that people have created that we ran the ball amazingly last year.

Actually, for the first seven games -- basically half the year -- we ran the ball under 4 yards per carry like five times.

So spare me the "our line was dominant run blocking last year."

No, it wasn't. It's dominant this year. Last year it was highly inconsistent on a week to week basis and the YPC got elevated by success we had running the ball late in the year.

Which coincidentally was around the same time Leary started to struggle a little in my opinion, so yes, that is interesting, but nonetheless its what happened. I thought Leary was actually better earlier in the year last year. Possibly because he was wearing down over time. So maybe at the same time the line was starting to get some cohesion with the five starters, and around the time Frederick was starting to turn the corner, the results followed.

But Leary got beat quite a bit last year down the stretch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, it wasn't. It's dominant this year. Last year it was highly inconsistent on a week to week basis and the YPC got elevated by success we had running the ball late in the year.

Which coincidentally was around the same time Leary started to struggle a little in my opinion, so yes, that is interesting, but nonetheless its what happened. I thought Leary was actually better earlier in the year last year. Possibly because he was wearing down over time. So maybe at the same time the line was starting to get some cohesion with the five starters, and around the time Frederick was starting to turn the corner, the results followed.

But Leary got beat quite a bit last year down the stretch.
Oh for fucks sake. Your argument isn't even cohesive. You acknowledge we ran the ball really well in the second half of the season and then bitch that Leary sucked in the second half of the season. At least if you're going to try and discredit our RB having a higher YPC then any other back with 1000 yards in the league you should make up shit that fits together.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He stepped up nicely yesterday. I believe in Parnell.
For a couple run plays, sure. What did he have, 5 snaps?

When I say I hope he can step up, I'm talking about the entire package. Play a whole game. And not get Romo killed with a missed pickup on a pass rusher which he has done before in limited action.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

When I say I hope he can step up, I'm talking about the entire package. Play a whole game. And not get Romo killed with a missed pickup on a pass rusher which he has done before in limited action.
Yep.

Or commit pre-snap penalties, which we have been much better at avoiding.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm not as concerned about his physical ability as I'm concerned about him making a stupid mistake like you mention. I'm nervous about a totally boneheaded play that gets Romo murdered.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Oh for fucks sake. Your argument isn't even cohesive. You acknowledge we ran the ball really well in the second half of the season and then bitch that Leary sucked in the second half of the season. At least if you're going to try and discredit our RB having a higher YPC then any other back with 1000 yards in the league you should make up shit that fits together.
Well, I could make up shit to fit an agenda like some do, but I'm actually being honest.

Top Bottom