Does Mike McCarthy & his staff think this is Madden?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I know this may be way out there, but maybe, just maybe, McCarthy knows there is nothing to lose this season, so he is just going for it in hopes that he might sneak out a few wins, but knowing he probably won't. And, if he loses out, he knows that he will be in a good position for the draft. Maybe he's just thinking more long term like Jimmy going 1-15 his first season to draft high.

I know, probably not, but it's the last thread of hope I have to hang onto with this shit ass season.

I do think the defense has a lot to do with a bunch of this. In that sense, he's not wrong.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This might be the first time I have ever seen a 3-7 team be overmatched against another one.

Losing our tackles in a game where we were going in with essentially backups at both spots already, AND losing 2 CBs in a game where we were already going in starting a guy off the street, yeah we were overmatched in some key areas.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would say their defensive front 7 vs our Oline is the textbook definition of overmatched.
Yes but the score was 20-16 at the start of the 4th quarter, not exactly the time to run a fake punt from inside your own 30, especially when our defense was just starting to heat up. The defense had just gotten a pick and a 3 and out on back to back drives with the pass rush really starting to turn it up on Smith, you gotta let them try to keep that up and not just gift the opponent the ball just outside the red zone.

You're overmatched when you're just hanging on for dear life to stay in the game, kind of like that Broncos game about 8 years ago that was 50-40 or whatever and Romo going off for 400+ and 5 TD's was barely enough to even keep us within striking distance with the Broncos offense going up and down the field.

That's overmatched where you need to conjure up something to give yourself extra opportunities, a 20-16 defensive battle against a team basically as bad as you isn't that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Literally everything was even about that game at the time of the fake punt from the score to the total yardage to the subjective performance of each team, in fact the only reason we were trailing was because they gifted them the ball on our own 20 due to another idiotic coaching decision on 4th and less than 1.

We were down 4 with the Skins scoring a grand total of...3 points in the 3rd quarter.

What about that screams overmatched?

The fake punt was clearly an act of desperation but it certainly felt more like impatience/reaching to make something happen in an otherwise pointless season. To pretend like it was a last ditch shot to get back in to a game we were down by a grand total of 4 is completely idiotic.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we miss the playoffs next year he's gone, that's the value in not having an adopted son of Jerry's at HC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we miss the playoffs next year he's gone, that's the value in not having an adopted son of Jerry's at HC.
You never know with Jones.

He has stated that he regretted dumping Chan Gailey so soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You never know with Jones.

He has stated that he regretted dumping Chan Gailey so soon.
Gailey also made the playoffs both years he was here, no?

Assuming we're somewhat healthy next year missing the playoffs after a 4-12 season would look horrendous, even if the 4-12 season was a result of a million disastrous injuries.

Given that Jerry is pushing 80 I don't think he's going to be willing to ride it out for too long.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's the only logical explanation I have for what I watched today. This one is pretty much all on the coaches. They gave up 41 points but the defense wasn't that bad, IMO. You had the pick 6 on top of 3 possessions that started deep in Cowboys territory due to turnovers and shitty coaching decisions. So I'm not going to give the defense too much grief for this 41 point performance.

I'm getting pretty tired of watching McCarthy and Fassel treat NFL games like a game of Madden......where you do dumb stuff like going for it on 4th and 30; never punt, etc. If they just manage the freaking game like normal level-headed NFL coaches this is a close game that the Cowboys possibly win. I honestly believe McCarthy thinks analytics means doing dumb shit at the worst possible time, in hopes that no one will see it coming. These are clown coaching decisions he's making. Frankly, I'd be perfectly OK if Jerry Jones ran his ass off after one season. I've seen enough to know that McCarthy's not the right man for this job. In sports consistency is what separates great players and coaches from the pack. Anyone who plays a sport can have that one big game.....but the guys who perform well each and every game, those are the great ones. McCarthy's not in that group. He's a coach who does well for a week or two then follows it up with 3 or 4 weeks of crap. We're spinning our wheels with McCarthy.

As for Fassel.....from my understanding in most cases special team coaches have autonomy to run fakes as they see fit. Clearly there needs to be some type of check with me system between Bones Fassel and McCarthy. That fake punt they ran in the 4th qtr was flat out reckless and uncalled for given the situation. You're only trailing by 4; there's about 12:30 to play; it's 4th and 10 from your own 26 yard line.......why? Why are you so damn reckless deep in your own territory with a slow developing crap play call at that?

Unfortunately McCarthy's not much better when it comes to these decisions so a "check with me" system would probably be a moot point anyway with those clowns.

The amount of self-inflicted damage this staff does to their own team is astounding. These are repeat offenses. That's what has me heated. Too stupid to learn from past mistakes.

Strengthened our position for a top 7 pick though, so it wasn't a complete loss. Maybe that was the goal all along. Because these decisions sure did feel like they had a hint of "tank" to them.
That performance from the coaching staff was one of the worst I've seen and it is really discouraging after believing that the staff was starting to settle down and show us that they indeed possessed the quality we had hoped and expected from them.

After seeing what happened on Thursday, the last few games are starting to feel more flukey and I'm not as convinced that the staff turned a corner as I had hoped.

I'm right back to where I was 6 weeks ago where I'm having serious doubts in both McCarthy and his staff.

What happened Thursday should not have happened -- not after seeing the same shit crash and burn multiple times in the first 6 games or so of the season.

Maybe these guys just aren't the answer.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
That performance from the coaching staff was one of the worst I've seen and it is really discouraging after believing that the staff was starting to settle down and show us that they indeed possessed the quality we had hoped and expected from them.

After seeing what happened on Thursday, the last few games are starting to feel more flukey and I'm not as convinced that the staff turned a corner as I had hoped.

I'm right back to where I was 6 weeks ago where I'm having serious doubts in both McCarthy and his staff.

What happened Thursday should not have happened -- not after seeing the same shit crash and burn multiple times in the first 6 games or so of the season.

Maybe these guys just aren't the answer.
Fish rots at the head, my good man. We all know that nothing will truly change until that Joan Rivers lookalike is 6 feet in the dirt.

Top Bottom