Does Mike McCarthy & his staff think this is Madden?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That's the only logical explanation I have for what I watched today. This one is pretty much all on the coaches. They gave up 41 points but the defense wasn't that bad, IMO. You had the pick 6 on top of 3 possessions that started deep in Cowboys territory due to turnovers and shitty coaching decisions. So I'm not going to give the defense too much grief for this 41 point performance.

I'm getting pretty tired of watching McCarthy and Fassel treat NFL games like a game of Madden......where you do dumb stuff like going for it on 4th and 30; never punt, etc. If they just manage the freaking game like normal level-headed NFL coaches this is a close game that the Cowboys possibly win. I honestly believe McCarthy thinks analytics means doing dumb shit at the worst possible time, in hopes that no one will see it coming. These are clown coaching decisions he's making. Frankly, I'd be perfectly OK if Jerry Jones ran his ass off after one season. I've seen enough to know that McCarthy's not the right man for this job. In sports consistency is what separates great players and coaches from the pack. Anyone who plays a sport can have that one big game.....but the guys who perform well each and every game, those are the great ones. McCarthy's not in that group. He's a coach who does well for a week or two then follows it up with 3 or 4 weeks of crap. We're spinning our wheels with McCarthy.

As for Fassel.....from my understanding in most cases special team coaches have autonomy to run fakes as they see fit. Clearly there needs to be some type of check with me system between Bones Fassel and McCarthy. That fake punt they ran in the 4th qtr was flat out reckless and uncalled for given the situation. You're only trailing by 4; there's about 12:30 to play; it's 4th and 10 from your own 26 yard line.......why? Why are you so damn reckless deep in your own territory with a slow developing crap play call at that?

Unfortunately McCarthy's not much better when it comes to these decisions so a "check with me" system would probably be a moot point anyway with those clowns.

The amount of self-inflicted damage this staff does to their own team is astounding. These are repeat offenses. That's what has me heated. Too stupid to learn from past mistakes.

Strengthened our position for a top 7 pick though, so it wasn't a complete loss. Maybe that was the goal all along. Because these decisions sure did feel like they had a hint of "tank" to them.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
If they were trying to lose wouldn't you think we would have seen the same thing the last couple of games?
I think it was just a handful of boneheaded coaching decisions.

1bigfan13

Staff member
If they were trying to lose wouldn't you think we would have seen the same thing the last couple of games?
I think it was just a handful of boneheaded coaching decisions.
I don't think they were trying to lose but the decisions sure had a YOLO feel to them. Like it was win-win in their eyes. If it works, great. If not, their draft position is better.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
i really dont know if its the coaching , players, or front office that allows this culture.

its really boggling.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
i really dont know if its the coaching , players, or front office that allows this culture.

its really boggling.

Its pretty easy. The only thing that has been constant for 25 years. It starts at the top.

1bigfan13

Staff member
:lol

I told you he thinks it's Madden.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We saw two bottom 10 teams today play each other mostly even but the coaching staff of one team decided to make decisions like a 12 year old playing Madden, so yea.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's the only logical explanation I have for what I watched today. This one is pretty much all on the coaches. They gave up 41 points but the defense wasn't that bad, IMO. You had the pick 6 on top of 3 possessions that started deep in Cowboys territory due to turnovers and shitty coaching decisions. So I'm not going to give the defense too much grief for this 41 point performance.

I'm getting pretty tired of watching McCarthy and Fassel treat NFL games like a game of Madden......where you do dumb stuff like going for it on 4th and 30; never punt, etc. If they just manage the freaking game like normal level-headed NFL coaches this is a close game that the Cowboys possibly win. I honestly believe McCarthy thinks analytics means doing dumb shit at the worst possible time, in hopes that no one will see it coming. These are clown coaching decisions he's making. Frankly, I'd be perfectly OK if Jerry Jones ran his ass off after one season. I've seen enough to know that McCarthy's not the right man for this job. In sports consistency is what separates great players and coaches from the pack. Anyone who plays a sport can have that one big game.....but the guys who perform well each and every game, those are the great ones. McCarthy's not in that group. He's a coach who does well for a week or two then follows it up with 3 or 4 weeks of crap. We're spinning our wheels with McCarthy.

As for Fassel.....from my understanding in most cases special team coaches have autonomy to run fakes as they see fit. Clearly there needs to be some type of check with me system between Bones Fassel and McCarthy. That fake punt they ran in the 4th qtr was flat out reckless and uncalled for given the situation. You're only trailing by 4; there's about 12:30 to play; it's 4th and 10 from your own 26 yard line.......why? Why are you so damn reckless deep in your own territory with a slow developing crap play call at that?

Unfortunately McCarthy's not much better when it comes to these decisions so a "check with me" system would probably be a moot point anyway with those clowns.

The amount of self-inflicted damage this staff does to their own team is astounding. These are repeat offenses. That's what has me heated. Too stupid to learn from past mistakes.

Strengthened our position for a top 7 pick though, so it wasn't a complete loss. Maybe that was the goal all along. Because these decisions sure did feel like they had a hint of "tank" to them.
I know this may be way out there, but maybe, just maybe, McCarthy knows there is nothing to lose this season, so he is just going for it in hopes that he might sneak out a few wins, but knowing he probably won't. And, if he loses out, he knows that he will be in a good position for the draft. Maybe he's just thinking more long term like Jimmy going 1-15 his first season to draft high.

I know, probably not, but it's the last thread of hope I have to hang onto with this shit ass season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think they were trying to lose but the decisions sure had a YOLO feel to them. Like it was win-win in their eyes. If it works, great. If not, their draft position is better.
Yes, this.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I know this may be way out there, but maybe, just maybe, McCarthy knows there is nothing to lose this season, so he is just going for it in hopes that he might sneak out a few wins, but knowing he probably won't. And, if he loses out, he knows that he will be in a good position for the draft. Maybe he's just thinking more long term like Jimmy going 1-15 his first season to draft high.

I know, probably not, but it's the last thread of hope I have to hang onto with this shit ass season.

i think its pretty close to this. the year is crap, so many injuries, at this point evaluate everything and everyone. at the end of the season, take a real good look and make changes.

i dont know if thats his thinking, but its what I HOPE he is thinking.

im just hoping he knows this is unacceptable, to be fair, the whole year has been unacceptable.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They weren't overmatched, it's one thing to go off the reservation if we're playing an elite team, we were playing a more or less equally shitty team in a very even game. The score was 27-16 literally only because McCarthy gifted them two drives that started inside our 30 with the idiotic 4th and 1/2 yard play and the fake punt. Those two drives both resulted in TD's, remove those from the score and it's 16-13.

Hell, when they called the fake punt it was 20-16 and the defense had just gotten two stops in a row, so it's not like we were grasping at straws just to stay in the game.

If the mindset is "if it works, great, if not, we're picking top 5" then fine, but if we're at full strength next year and they're still doing dumb shit like this every other game then you have to get rid of the whole staff.

Top Bottom