Diet/Fitness Thread

Newt

DCC 4Life
Congrats, dude.

I've got a really good friend that runs one of those surgery places in Dallas. She's a really good lady. If you aren't locked in and you are interested I'll hook you up.

I'm not locked in to anything yet, but the way my insurance works I kinda hate to start the process all over again. This may be the same type of place though, its called True Results. My wife had the same surgery back in july and has lost over 50lbs, its hard, but the difference is amazing. She feels 100 times better and is walking about 5 miles a day now. I feel bad that I can't go with her, but at this point I would be crippled for several days after a 5 mile walk.

D

Deuce

Did you miss the part where he said he hasn't been able to do it on him own?
Did you miss the part where he's going to have to do it regardless afterward? Plus, lot's a MD's require you to do it beforehand as well. Cuts down on the amount of fat they have to cut through to make it work. Less fat equals less chance for infection.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Be careful. I've worked a lot with bariatric patient's at my hospital and there are a lot that can go wrong, especially if you don't follow every bit of the instructions. The diet that you have to follow after the surgery is often what causes some of the weight loss. Sometimes people don't realize that if they skip the surgery and just do that diet they would have to do otherwise, it'll work.
It's all will power man, and when it comes to food, I just eat to much. Always have. When I was younger I could knock off 20 or 30 pounds easy but it just doesn't work like that any more. I thought about having knee replacement but if the weight loss helps the knee pain I'll be better off anyways.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Did you miss the part where he's going to have to do it regardless afterward? Plus, lot's a MD's require you to do it beforehand as well. Cuts down on the amount of fat they have to cut through to make it work. Less fat equals less chance for infection.
This is true, I have a very strict diet for two weeks before the surgery. But I can't come up with any reason not to do the surgery.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm not locked in to anything yet, but the way my insurance works I kinda hate to start the process all over again. This may be the same type of place though, its called True Results. My wife had the same surgery back in july and has lost over 50lbs, its hard, but the difference is amazing. She feels 100 times better and is walking about 5 miles a day now. I feel bad that I can't go with her, but at this point I would be crippled for several days after a 5 mile walk.
That's the same place. My friend is the director. Her name is Allison Arnett. Small world.

Newt

DCC 4Life
That's the same place. My friend is the director. Her name is Allison Arnett. Small world.
Is that some type of fat joke?

Not cool.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So my weight loss trials have been well documented, I did the bike thing for a while and really enjoyed it. I felt good but wasn't losing much weight after the first couple of months. Haven't rode in a while, a couple months now, and it sucks because that was one thing I could do without killing my knees. Anyway, I went to a place in Dallas a few weeks ago and have decided to do the lap band surgery to help me lose the weight. I know I should have more self control and be able to do this myself but honestly I just don't. I go back on February 2nd to schedule the surgery and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to lose about 120 pounds, maybe more depending on how it goes. I'm the heaviest I've ever been right now at 356, the last time I was 240 I was wearing a hat and gown for high school graduation so that will be awesome if I can get back to that. I know it will make doing things like riding the bike and even just walking much easier and hopefully keep me from having to my knees replaced 10 years to soon. Plus I've heard that you gain an inch of penis for each 30 pounds you lose, I could end up with a good 8 inch wiener....
The doc that did my dad's gastric bypass strongly recommended against the band. They instead did some other kind of bypass. The Doc said he just hated the banding method. For what it's worth.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The doc that did my dad's gastric bypass strongly recommended against the band. They instead did some other kind of bypass. The Doc said he just hated the banding method. For what it's worth.
I'm pretty sure they've changed the procedure somehow.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm pretty sure they've changed the procedure somehow.
They basically just put a band around part of the stomach. The problem is with slipping and having to go back in for readjustments.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh, and don't think I didn't notice the attitude in your voice just now. It's been noted.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I've thought about the Gastric Sleeve, but with it and the bypass, you can stretch your stomach back out if you aren't careful and a lot of people gain the weight back. And I've been told this is the safest of the three options, less invasive and less chance of complications.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, I've thought about the Gastric Sleeve, but with it and the bypass, you can stretch your stomach back out if you aren't careful and a lot of people gain the weight back. And I've been told this is the safest of the three options, less invasive and less chance of complications.
My dad didn't have any of those issues, but you're right, the procedure he had done is pretty invasive. Good luck, brother.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
They basically just put a band around part of the stomach. The problem is with slipping and having to go back in for readjustments.
Oh OK, it seems like you got it all figured out.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
No, the doc that told us that has it all figured out, pal.
My understanding was that there was a problem with the lap band procedure. They later changed it to make it safer. That's what I was originally saying. Now take you sass level down to tolerable levels.

Cotton

Staff member
My understanding was that there was a problem with the lap band procedure. They later changed it to make it safer. That's what I was originally saying. Now take you sass level down to tolerable levels.
I like my sass level right where it is, thank you very much.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I got my surgery scheduled yesterday, will get it done on March 6th. I have to do a two week diet before the surgery, but it doesn't look too bad. Then its protein, protein, protein for the rest of my life. I'm looking forward to it but the lifestyle change also scares the shit out of me, my family has always gathered around food, but I don't think that's a tradition I want to pass down. I'm going to have to learn how to shop or there is going to be a lot of wasted food in my house. I know this is the lazy way out, and there is a part of me that feels like a douche and a failure for not being able to lose the weight on my own. As many excuses as I can come up with, I do realize they are just that, excuses. But I'm excited to be able to have this done and hopefully be around for a lot longer. There's a lot of things I want to see and do, and I have a very active kid that I want to be active with. I can honestly say that if he wasn't around I wouldn't be taking this step.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Props Newt...no failure in what you are doing. Brave in fact to do what you are doing. Definitely pulling for you.

Cotton

Staff member
Props Newt...no failure in what you are doing. Brave in fact to do what you are doing. Definitely pulling for you.
Absolutely.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I got my surgery scheduled yesterday, will get it done on March 6th. I have to do a two week diet before the surgery, but it doesn't look too bad. Then its protein, protein, protein for the rest of my life. I'm looking forward to it but the lifestyle change also scares the shit out of me, my family has always gathered around food, but I don't think that's a tradition I want to pass down. I'm going to have to learn how to shop or there is going to be a lot of wasted food in my house. I know this is the lazy way out, and there is a part of me that feels like a douche and a failure for not being able to lose the weight on my own. As many excuses as I can come up with, I do realize they are just that, excuses. But I'm excited to be able to have this done and hopefully be around for a lot longer. There's a lot of things I want to see and do, and I have a very active kid that I want to be active with. I can honestly say that if he wasn't around I wouldn't be taking this step.
I'm with carp on this one. Prop, big dawg. I've got a lot of respect for you.

Top Bottom