Cowlishaw: The Heat Is On

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Perhaps you should look up the defination of fan. What you are describing is closer to tentative investor.
Man, I never thought the incredibly gay "true fan" debate would ever show up here.

I was wrong.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just as I wouldn’t wish for a friend have a tragedy to learn a lesson in life I won’t wish for the Cowboys to lose a game. Call me old fashioned and confused.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just as I wouldn’t wish for a friend have a tragedy to learn a lesson in life I won’t wish for the Cowboys to lose a game. Call me old fashioned and confused.
Dont think anybody here would either but this is a game and that is life. Apples and oranges.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
noun: fanatic; plural noun: fanatics

a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just because the object of the game is to win, a fan can wish for their team to lose and still be considered a fan. Because the fan knows that losing will force change upon a complacent organization, precisely what this Cowboys team is. Complacent and lazy, and oh yes, poorly coached from top to bottom. None of these fans cares one bit less for the Cowboys; in fact, one could say that it takes a certain fortitude for a fan to endure losing to the point that they want the losing bring about change that fans feel is in the best interest of the team. And seeing that Garret has had 7 middling years here to win with the most valuable franchise in the world, we deserve better. To the point of having to force Garrett out with embarrassing losses, making a mockery of a proud winning tradition that precedes and rises above the current regime. This is surely what fandom is about.
Spot. On.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Cowboys for the last 20plus years have not been a friend.

They have been the chronic liar, the king of empty promises and frankly just the dumb shit friend that at one time had a functional brain.

I think that kind of person deserves a goddamn tragedy as a warning sign to get their shit together.

Cotton

Staff member
You must be confused, because that is a terrible analogy.

Cotton

Staff member
In that case, don't try to push off your definition on us, and we won't judge you for how you choose to be a fan. Not that anyone ever did.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In that case, don't try to push off your definition on us, and we won't judge you for how you choose to be a fan. Not that anyone ever did.
My contention was that I can’t hope for the team to lose and I don’t understand how a fan want their team to lose. I still don’t understand that position. The fake fan term came from elsewhere.

Cotton

Staff member
My contention was that I can’t hope for the team to lose and I don’t understand how a fan want their team to lose. I still don’t understand that position. The fake fan term came from elsewhere.
Your "lots of real fans" comment started this. Don't try to act all innocent now.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Your "lots of real fans" comment started this. Don't try to act all innocent now.
I’m not pleading innocence, I’m stating I don’t understand that position. And for that matter I never will.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jesus Christ. That’s not even remotely the same thing.

Trying to equate personal tragedy to a fucking game is pretty weak.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Do I wish the Cowboys had lost to the Eagles' third string the last game of 2010 so maybe Garrett wouldn't have been hired? Sure do. (Though I know Jerry already had his heart set.)

Do I wish we'd lost the last couple of games the third consecutive 8-8 season so maybe Jerry would have canned Garrett and hired Mike Zimmer? Sure do.

Sometimes you have to lose a battle or two to win a war.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I don't know about the "real fan" bullshit. We're all real fans or we wouldn't obsess over this year nearly this much. But I don't really get rooting against your team when we still have a shot at the playoffs. At our best, this team can beat anyone. If we could get all our best players on the field, we are a totally different team then we've seen the last three weeks. So while we still have a shot at the playoffs and a chance to do some damage - no matter how small - I'm gonna root for my team to win. 10-6 is still possible so I'm rooting for us to win. Once we're officially eliminated from playoff contention, I'll just root for us to get guys like Brown, Switzer and Zeus on the field to find out about them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't know about the "real fan" bullshit. We're all real fans or we wouldn't obsess over this year nearly this much. But I don't really get rooting against your team when we still have a shot at the playoffs. At our best, this team can beat anyone. If we could get all our best players on the field, we are a totally different team then we've seen the last three weeks. So while we still have a shot at the playoffs and a chance to do some damage - no matter how small - I'm gonna root for my team to win. 10-6 is still possible so I'm rooting for us to win. Once we're officially eliminated from playoff contention, I'll just root for us to get guys like Brown, Switzer and Zeus on the field to find out about them.
I wasn’t quantifying fandom. I just cannot reconcile how a fan can hope for their team to lose. It just doesn’t fit into my comprehension.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Do I wish the Cowboys had lost to the Eagles' third string the last game of 2010 so maybe Garrett wouldn't have been hired? Sure do. (Though I know Jerry already had his heart set.)

Do I wish we'd lost the last couple of games the third consecutive 8-8 season so maybe Jerry would have canned Garrett and hired Mike Zimmer? Sure do.

Sometimes you have to lose a battle or two to win a war.
This piece of shit should've been fired after 2013 or 2015 for sure, but of course there always were the convenient excuses of Romo's injuries.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm not rooting for the team to lose, I'm just pessimistic about the rest of the season and I believe that is justifiable under the circumstances.

Top Bottom