Cowboys Sign Moore - Then He Retires

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Oxnard Blog: The Brandon Moore Saga

BOB STURM |

Published: Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 10:28am

Perhaps in many respects, what we have seen in the last 12 hours is simply how life in the NFL works.

A rookie emerges. A veteran blows out his knee. A prospect retires. A signing changes his mind. It is a roller coaster of emotions surrounding a series of practice sessions.

For it was around 10pm Central time last night when word started circulating that a deal with Brandon Moore was close for the Cowboys. Then, within the hour, word broke from a number of reliable sources that, in fact, the deal was done. They had signed a right guard who had played 11 seasons in the same New York Jets uniform, starting most of those 11 seasons and playing at a very high level with impressive health.

I watched about 200 of his snaps last night to break down his ability from 2012 on this blog and I will tell you that although I would not consider him to be Carl Nicks or Mike Iupati when it comes to All-Pro Guards, he would have easily been the best guard the Cowboys had in their lineup since Leonard Davis in 2007 or so.

Watching Moore play a strong game for a Jets team that was a squad that had no choice but to play a strong and powerful run game made you understand how strength is a real factor in running zone stretch plays, but more importantly, inside runs and pulling guard opportunities. He was stout and almost never turned back (Vince Wilfork could do it) and when he got on the move - which the Jets featured often - he was a very impressive player who would seek and physically dominate guys around the corner as he opened a path for his running back.

In pass protection, he hardly had anything to criticize. He was confident and strong and generally not challenged on pass rushes and looked like he had seen everything 1,000 times. Most likely, because he had.

If you have read my work for a week, you know my feelings about the offensive line. And therefore you likely realize that I was pretty excited about the prospect of adding a guy like this who almost nobody in the NFL circles have anything bad to say about the guy. He would have filled out that 3rd interior spot with a level of play that was beyond my expectations since the Cowboys neglected to upgrade their guard situation in the spring when it is best addressed.

Brandon Moore would easily walk from the street to being perhaps the offensive lineman you would rate behind Tyron Smith as the guy you least have to worry about in 2013. And, he verbally agreed to terms last night and was going to fly in, and medicals pending, sign today.

Well, that changed at sunrise.

Moore decided that he second thoughts and instead has decided to retire. He had played from his house for 11 years and with his family had settled in nicely. To change all of that and leave them all to move to Dallas for 1 more year (most likely) was something that he tried to sleep on and couldn't.

He also told Sirius NFL Radio that the time to prepare was critical as well, as he had no desire to show up in August and not play at his normal level. Had this been in March or April, he could have confidently prepared as he normally does, but now just 1 month from the opener was not enough time for him to feel good about where he would be in Week 1. He wanted to do this because of his personal regard for Bill Callahan, but between family and preparation time, he had cold feet this morning.

Now, that leaves us with a number of questions that you have presented me with:

1) - If he is so great, why was he available on August 6th?

Well, this is the CBA these days. Many players make a ton of money. But, the long-time veterans get to a spot where when their contract expires, they find that multi-level deals are not offered to 33 year old guards who play at a solid level. 1-year deals for the veteran minimum are everywhere, but they are accustomed to long term details at $4m a season, they are not dying to jump across the desk to sign in May. So, they sit out, waiting for something better. As July arrives, they start to ponder whether they still want to play if the money is only at that level. And that is where many vets over 30 sit right now. If they have managed their money well, each day comes closer to them pondering if they really are that committed anymore. Obviously, Moore decided that whatever the deal (thought to be around $2m) was not worth his trouble. And given that he made very solid money for the last decade, you can understand that he didn't feel he had to leave his setup for a 5 month work detail in the NFL trenches.

2) - Were the Cowboys telling us that they are in big trouble on the Offensive Line?

I think that this verifies that the first 2 weeks have not told them good things about their starters from 2012 - Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau. Both have had poor health summers after mediocre seasons and the combination of the 2 has many wondering if either were going to start on Opening Night. This, combined with Travis Frederick at center and Ronald Leary at Left Guard playing so well has put the OL in a different spot altogether from where it was 12 months ago. The premise that they were ready to cut Bernadeau if they got Moore done is not a difficult idea to wrap your head around. David Arkin is not a starter, Phil Costa doesn't appear to be, either. So, with Livings out the next month, and Bernadeau is what he is, you can see that they could go with Leary-Frederick-Bernadeau if they had to, but who would argue that Leary-Frederick-Moore is a major upgrade from that and anything they have run out in 5 years?

3) - So What Do They Do Now?

Everyone is discussing Brian Waters, but he hasn't played since 2011 and I think the football department is not nearly as interested as the fan-base. I think they saw Moore as unique opportunity because of his friendship with Callahan and saw that as an easy chance to upgrade with a guy who understood the system. That doesn't mean that they were panicked and had to make a move and now sign the next guy. I don't love Bernadeau starting for me, but I do think he can be ok there for now and the real idea is to get Leary and Frederick to prove their merits to see if they are truly as good as they look at this moment in time.

Either way, I feel better about the line. But, for about 10 hours, I felt great about the upgrades when it looked like Moore was in the fold. Now, we must return to the reality that they have plenty of work to do and plenty of "ifs" that they are going to try to prove as realities.

As teams across the NFL find out every day, there is no telling what the next 24 hours might have in store for a team preparing for a season.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout's Notebook: Moore Didn't Seem Like The Right Option

Posted 4 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

OXNARD, Calif. – Here are some observations from the film room in Oxnard:

•It appears that the front office reached out to former New York Jets guard Brandon Moore in an effort to try and bring him on board to start at the right guard spot on this club, but Moore elected to stay away from the field and retire from the game. My view of Moore wasn’t as positive as what this front office had at the time, but I don’t want to focus on that. I have said that all along and I believe it even more now, it’s about keeping Travis Frederick at center and not moving him to guard, but they also want to put the best five players on the field and if Frederick gives them that option, they would do it. I have observed Mackenzy Bernadeau these last two practices and I believe that he can handle this job. I like what I have seen from Ronald Leary and that gives me hope as well, but I honestly believe that keeping Frederick at center is in the best long term interest of this team. I have had my issues with Phil Costa but in this scheme he has a much better chance of succeeding, but I also feel like Frederick is a better player. As much as everyone thought that Moore was the right option, I didn’t feel that way. It’s been my experience that sometimes the moves you don’t make are the best ones.

•There were some nice battles in practice Tuesday at some different positions. Jason Hatcher and Ronald Leary hooked up several times, with each player at times getting the better of the other. Hatcher continues to show quickness at the point which put Leary in some tough situations but, Leary was able to counter with power that put Hatcher on his heels. Doug Free and George Selvie went at it as well. Selvie was running with the first defense and was having his hands full with Free who continues to do a solid job with his technique both run and pass. Selvie’s best trait in camp has been his relentless way in which he has attacked the tackle as an up field rusher, but Free was up to the challenge. Selvie didn’t do much until he moved down inside over the guard in a special scheme. Sterling Moore had some nice battles with Dez Bryant and Dwayne Harris in the team period and later when the squad went into the two minute drills. It was a nice bounce-back day for Moore who I felt like didn’t play his best against the Dolphins.
•A player in camp that has played with a chip on his shoulder throughout has been linebacker Ernie Sims. Sims has been one of those players that has had very few reps where he hasn’t been around the football. There has been a physical side to his game that tends to upset the offensive players. He is always reaching, grabbing or poking at the ball 20 yards down the field. On Tuesday, he instigated the first fight of training camp with running back Lance Dunbar. Dunbar’s disgust with Sims happened on the previous play before the altercation when Sims gave Dunbar a shot after the play was done and you could tell then that Dunbar was none too happy about it. On the next play, Dunbar starts on a zone play to his right and he is stopped on the play but with Gary Brown yelling to him to finish the play, he tries to once again get going but this time, Sims has a hold of him and slings him to the ground in which Dunbar comes firing off the ground and hits Sims with a two hand shove to the chest. To Dunbar’s credit, he had enough of Sims and wanted to let him know about it. But there was also two other things that were interesting about the rumble, is that rookie Joseph Randle came sprinting in the pile to help Dunbar and DeMarcus Ware being the heads-up player that he always is, picked the ball up off the ground and took off running like it was a fumble. No blows were thrown but I guarantee that Ernie Sims will continue to get under everyone’s skin and he has no problem with that.

•I observed a different wrinkle for the offense on Tuesday working out of the pistol formations with DeMarco Murray in the backfield. Callahan showed a couple of creative plays out of the look that put the ball in Murray’s hands in space that were productive. On defense, Monte Kiffin used what I would call a “Double Eagle” or “Bear Front” when he covered the center and two guards, then had his defensive end standing up on the outside with the Sam linebacker standing up on the strong side. With the three inside defensive linemen, it gives him the option to run games out of the front to attack blocking schemes and with the two standing defenders, he can create one-on-one matchups that potentially can win on the outside.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sturm says Moore would have been a vast improvement, Broaddus says he wouldn't have been.

Sturm with the KO.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I've heard a lot about Ernie Sims and not a lot about Justin Durant (who I like, FWIW).

Should these two guys be competing for a starting spot? Are they?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Sturm says Moore would have been a vast improvement, Broaddus says he wouldn't have been.

Sturm with the KO.
Spagnola has trained Broaddus well.

He sounds like Laker fans after Dwight Howard signed with Houston.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've heard a lot about Ernie Sims and not a lot about Justin Durant (who I like, FWIW).

Should these two guys be competing for a starting spot? Are they?
Durant has the starting job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Sturm with the KO.
Sturm and practically every other pundit thinks that Moore would have been an improvement.

Broaddus also is the shill that claims Bernadeau played better than Livings last year, which I don't think is accurate. If anything, it was a wash. Bernadeau had a lot more to do with why we could never run the ball.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Killer analysis.
I am just telling you how it is. We all know how "competitions" on this team work, no matter how much Red Pube likes to claim they do.

Durant was a plum FA signing (just like Will Allen). Sims was the lowly vet min afterthought.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am just telling you how it is. We all know how "competitions" on this team work, no matter how much Red Pube likes to claim they do.

Durant was a plum FA signing (just like Will Allen). Sims was the lowly vet min afterthought.
Will Allen and Ernie Sims are playing for pretty much the exact same amount of money this year, so I doubt that's it. One is making $715k, the other is making $840k, and the only difference is because Allen has more years in the league, his minimum contract is higher.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

And the team really wants Will Allen to lose his job to Johnson or Wilcox. Durant losing out to a lesser FA could embarrass Jerry, and avoiding embarrassment for the front office is always the bottom line in Dallas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Will Allen and Ernie Sims are playing for pretty much the exact same amount of money this year, so I doubt that's it. One is making $715k, the other is making $840k, and the only difference is because Allen has more years in the league, his minimum contract is higher.
Allen was not signed as late in the process as Sims. Sorry, they aren't planning on having him "compete" for the starting job. Allen has his by sheer default.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Allen was not signed as late in the process as Sims. Sorry, they aren't planning on having him "compete" for the starting job. Allen has his by sheer default.
Well, there isn't a safety on the roster of Justin Durant's skill level to start over Will Allen.

But anyway, back to my other question... "Should they be?"

Meaning, does anyone think Sims' play has merited being the starter?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, there isn't a safety on the roster of Justin Durant's skill level to start over Will Allen.

But anyway, back to my other question... "Should they be?"

Meaning, does anyone think Sims' play has merited being the starter?
I'd say his concussion history makes that a no.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This kind of shit only happens to Dallas. Like when Jerry Jones signed Dan Reeves as a consultant only to fire him 3 days later supposedly because Reeves wouldn't agree to punch a timeclock.
Remember when Carl Pickens pulled his hamstring and decided to retire after one day rather than try to make the team here?

Carl

RIP Brother

Sims was a long shot to make the roster; now based on performance, it seems like he will make the team. Why is that a problem?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys in desperation mode after Moore chooses retirement

OXNARD, Calif. — The Dallas Cowboys went to bed Tuesday night thinking they had finally found an answer to their interior-line issues with former Pro Bowl guard Brandon Moore after agreeing to terms on a one-year deal.

A deal is not a deal, however, until it’s signed.

And the 10-year veteran Moore woke up Wednesday morning with a change of heart, deciding to retire.

It was a huge setback for the Cowboys, who thought offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Bill Callahan’s relationship with Moore from their days with the New York Jets cinched the deal. But Moore decided to stay home with his family rather than get on a plane for a cross-country flight from New York to California.

“I totally respect his decision,” vice president Stephen Jones said. “Obviously, with a commitment like this you’ve got to be all in. But it’s surprising, yes. We thought we had a deal and were going to have him here.”

Said coach Jason Garrett: “We had some history with Brandon. We felt good about him and he felt good about playing. But football is one of those games where if you are not completely into it, you are not 100 percent full bore, it’s a bad game to play. It’s a hard game to play anyway if you are completely committed to it.

“So at this point in his career he decided not to play football anymore. We respect that decision. We will try our best going forward.”

The question is where the Cowboys go from here. They all but acknowledged publicly with the failed pursuit of Moore that their concern at guard is at an urgent and critical point because of the injuries to returning starters Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau.

Livings started camp on the non-football injury list, came back for a week and then had arthroscopic knee surgery, sidelining him for the rest of the preseason. Bernadeau returned to practice Friday after missing the first two weeks of camp on the physically unable to perform list with a hamstring. Garrett said Bernadeau has been very rusty since his return.

That both were coming off injury-filled seasons last year when they joined the Cowboys with lucrative free-agent deals only hastened the Cowboys’ decision to move in another direction with the start of the season roughly a month away.

“It’s always urgent,” Garrett said. “It was urgent in the off-season leading up to the draft. It was urgent after that. And it’s get more and more urgent as you get closer to the games. The injuries have been the biggest issue. Nate Livings having not been able to practice, Mackenzy ... all those guys who are veteran players for us, starting veteran players. They haven’t been able to practice very much. So you have to address the need somehow, some way.”

“If you have a chance to get a veteran player who can come in and provide some competition to be a starter, I think that is a positive thing for your team, if you can work it out from a salary cap standpoint.”

The salary cap issues that hamstrung the Cowboys’ ability to be players in the free-agent market in the off-season prevented them from addressing the guard position in the spring. Moore was available then but only Tuesday were they able to come to an agreement — when the Cowboys had more room and he came down on his demands. It was all to no avail.

Jones said the the position remains a huge concern and the Cowboys will continue to look at options via free agency, trade or the waiver wire.

“We are not through looking,” Jones said. “We have options. But we also have parameters we have to work within with our cap situation. We have guys we are looking at. We will continue to look.”

One possibility the Cowboys are admittedly exploring is former North Texas standout Brian Waters, a six-time Pro Bowler with the Kansas City Chiefs and the New England Patriots. He lives in Waxahachie. But he has not played since the end of the 2011 season.

“Brian Waters has been a really good player in this league for a long time,” Garrett said. “The biggest issue for Brian right now is he hasn’t played in 18 months.”

The Cowboys have already seemingly moved to replace Livings at left guard with second-year player Ron Leary.

But Garrett said the Cowboys would like to get everything else ironed out so the line could play together in the preseason to develop some chemistry.

They plan to make the best of the situation even it means moving rookie center Travis Frederick to guard with the demoted Phil Costa back at center to get the best five on the field for the season opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 8.

“It’s one of those positions that it matters who’s playing next to each other and developing some of that communication,” Garrett said. “So you’d like to have it all in place right now. That’s not the nature of this league. That’s not the nature of our team right now. So we’re trying to function as well as we can to put the best group together.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/08/07/5064500/cowboys-in-desperation-mode-after.html#storylink=cpy

With Nate Livings sidelined by injury and fellow guard Mackenzy Bernadeau still recovering, the Cowboys are scrambling to find replacements. A few of their options:

Ron Leary: The second-year player was in on every snap at Livings’ left-guard spot in the preseason opener.

Travis Frederick: Drafted to play center, he could slide to right guard with Phil Costa at center to get the best five on the field.

Brian Waters: The former North Texas standout was strong for the Patriots in 2011, but hasn’t played since.

Top Bottom