Cowboys Sign Moore - Then He Retires

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm unreasonably bummed about this. If you couldn't tell by the 8 posts or so in a row I made last night at 2 am, I was pretty excited about this.

This is really weighing me down today. I think I need to see a therapist about detaching from this team. :unsure

Not ending marriages or anything, but I'm spending waaay more time thinking about it than I should.
No, you just need to get laid, home skillet.

Lotuseater

Banned
Brandon Moore is the reason my dog is now cowering in the corner.
Can't really say that kinda stuff anymore. The feds are on their way with with a tidy, legal warrant and some PETA beat-down money in their pockets.......

Cotton

Staff member
The Dallas media is ripping the Cowboys right now for waiting so long to address the issue.

Cotton

Staff member
Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 2m
Garrett said they respect Brandon Moore's decision to retire.

Well, wth else are they going to do?

Cotton

Staff member
They are finally figuring this out?
Most of the tweets say something like "That's what they get for waiting this long to address the issue".

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This kind of shit only happens to Dallas. Like when Jerry Jones signed Dan Reeves as a consultant only to fire him 3 days later supposedly because Reeves wouldn't agree to punch a timeclock.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I'm unreasonably bummed about this. If you couldn't tell by the 8 posts or so in a row I made last night at 2 am, I was pretty excited about this.

This is really weighing me down today. I think I need to see a therapist about detaching from this team. :unsure

Not ending marriages or anything, but I'm spending waaay more time thinking about it than I should.

I used to be that way. I still love the team and will watch every game, but man, it doesn't control my every thought like it used to. It's like being a junkie and then getting cured. It's nice.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 52m
Garrett is gushing about Brian Waters, but points out Waters hasn't played in 18 months.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett thought Brandon Moore would help

August, 7, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- On Tuesday night, coach Jason Garrett thought Brandon Moore was going to play for the Dallas Cowboys.

Everything changed Wednesday morning when the veteran guard elected to retire.

"We had conversations with him and we thought he might come in and help our team out," Garrett said Wednesday. "The conversations were way down the road and we thought we were close to an agreement with him, and he decided when he awoke up this morning he didn't want to play football anymore. So we respect that decision. We'll continue to try and evaluate that position as we go forward."

The Cowboys wanted to sign Moore to become a potential starter along the interior of an offensive line that is battling injuries. Projected starting left guard Nate Livings will miss maybe three weeks as he recovers from knee surgery. Guards Ray Dominguez (shoulder) and Kevin Kowalski (knee) are also nursing injuries.

Garrett was asked about veteran free agent Brian Waters, who last played in 2011 for the New England Patriots, as a possibility.

"Brian Waters has been a really good player in this league for a long time," Garrett said. "As you guys know, I think he's a six-time Pro Bowler. He's an NFL Man of the Year, played a long time in Kansas City a few years ago, he came late to New England and had a Pro Bowl year for them when they went to the Super Bowl. The biggest issue for Brian right now is he hasn't played in 18 months. You have to factor those things in."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
'Rusty' Bernadeau's lack of availability for the second straight year leaves Cowboys refiguring OL plan

Much of what the Cowboys want to do with the offensive line depends on Mackenzy Bernadeau.

But the Cowboys don’t know how much they can depend on him.

For the second straight year, Bernadeau missed the offseason with injuries and is behind in training camp. He began practicing last Friday, and Wednesday was going to be only his third practice.

“He’s a little rusty, there’s no question about that,” coach Jason Garrett said. “The difficult thing with Mackenzy is he played a lot of football for us last year during the season – believe he played in all 16 games – but he missed the offseason leading up to last season, and he’s missed this offseason. So when you miss a lot of that time, that’s really when you can grow and develop. He’s still a young player. Has not started that many games. But injuries have bothered him since he’s been here. So he’s just getting back into the mix again.”

The Cowboys haven’t said whether he will play in Friday’s preseason game against Oakland, but it would be a helpful step. Sunday against Miami, the Cowboys had to use Ron Leary and David Arkin extensively at guard because three others (Nate Livings, Kevin Kowalski, Ray Dominguez and Jeff Olson) are hurt, not to mention tackle Jermey Parnell.

Additionally, the Cowboys missed out on bringing in guard help when Brandon Moore changed his mind Wednesday about signing with the Cowboys.

Right now, the Cowboys have to think about using their prized center, Travis Frederick, at guard and plugging in last year’s starting center, Phil Costa. That is, unless Bernadeau can solidify things at right guard.

“When he played during the season for us, he got appreciably better as the season wore on, and that’s good thing,” Garrett said of Bernadeau, signed as a free agent in 2012 on a four-year deal worth $11.5 million. “He’s still a young player. So we’d just like to get him back in the lineup, get him back taking snaps, breaking the huddle, going to the line of scrimmage, run blocking and pass protecting and learning from the mistakes and growing.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I used to be that way. I still love the team and will watch every game, but man, it doesn't control my every thought like it used to. It's like being a junkie and then getting cured. It's nice.
I imagine it must be. Wish I could stop caring.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The demise of the Moore deal and where the Cowboys go from here with their urgent line issues

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

_ The Dallas Cowboys went to bed Tuesday night thinking they had finally found an answer to their interior line issues with former Pro Bowl guard Brandon Moore agreeing to terms on a one-year deal.

However, a deal is not a deal until it's signed.

And the 10-year veteran Moore woke up Wednesday morning with a change of heart, deciding to retire.

It was a huge setback for the Cowboys who thought offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Bill Callahan's relationship with Moore from their days with the Jets cinched the deal. But he decided to stay home with his family rather than get on a plane for cross country flight from New York to California.

"We had some history with Brandon," Garrett said. "We felt good about him and he felt good about playing. But football is one of those games where if you are not completely into it, you are not 100 percent full bore, it;s a bad game to play. It's a hard game to play anyway if you are completely committed to it. So at this point in his career he decided not play football anymore. We respect that decision. We will try our best going forward."

The question is where the Cowboys go from here after all but acknowledging publicly with the failed pursuit of Moore what every one knew privately: That concern at guard is at an urgent and critical point because of the injuries to returning starters Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau.

Livings started camp on the non football injury list, came back for a week and then had arthroscopic knee surgery, sidelining him for the rest of the preseason. Bernadeau returned to practice last Friday after missing the first two weeks of camp on the physically unable to perform list with a hamstring. Garrett said Bernadeau has been very rusty since his return.

That both were coming off injury-filled seasons last year when they joined the Cowboys with lucrative free agent deals only hastened the Cowboys' decision to move in another direction for the good of the team with the start of the season roughly a month away.

"It's always urgent," Garrett said. "It was urgent in the off season leading up to the draft. It was urgent after that. And its get more and more urgent as you get closer to the games. The injuries have been the biggest issue. Nate Livings having not been able to practice, Mackenzy...all those guys who are veteran players for us, starting veteran players. They haven't been able to practice very much. So you have to address the need some how some way. We have brought young players in to help us get through practice. If you have a chance to get a veteran player who can come in and provide some competition to be a starter, I think that is a positive thing for you team if you can work it out from a salary cap stand point."

It's safe to say that the salary cap issues that hamstrung the Cowboys' ability to be players in the free agent market in the off season prevented them from addressing the guard position with a veteran in the spring. Moore was available then but only now were they able to come to a financial agreement _ when the Cowboys had more room and he came down on his demands _ all to no avail.

Another option the Cowboys are admittedly exploring is former North Texas star Brian Waters, a six-time Pro Bowler with the Kansas City Chiefs and the New England Patriots. He lives in Waxahachie. But he has not played since the end of the 2011 season.

"Brian Waters has been a really good player in this league for a long time," Garrett said. "As you guys know, I think he's a six-time Pro Bowler. He's an NFL Man of the Year, played a long time in Kansas City a few years ago, he came late to New England and had a Pro Bowl year for them when they went to the Super Bowl. The biggest issue for Brian right now is he hasn't played in 18 months. You have to factor those things in."
The Cowboys have already seemingly moved to replace Livings at left guard with second-year player Ron Leary. But combining him with rookie center Travis Frederick, third-year tackle Tyron Smith and a potential first-year starter in Jermey Parnell, if he beats out veteran Doug Free, means the Cowboys would be very young up front. Jones said the Cowboys would like an experienced veteran in there to help out.

"That is sure a part of it," Jones said. "You have to recognize you have a young group with Smith and potentially Parnell when he does get back. But it has more to do with the player we are bringing in and the opportunity here."

It also would mean Cowboys could forgo any plans to use Frederick at guard as they drafted him to play center and prefer he plays center.

Garrett said they would like to get it ironed out so the line could play together in the preseason to develop some chemistry. Right now however they are just going to make the best of the situation even it means Frederick at guard with the demoted Phil Costa back at center to get the best five on the field for the season opener against the New York Giants Sept. 8.

"We’re going to try to put the best five together to start against the Giants," Garrett said. "It’s one of those positions that it matters who’s playing next to each other and developing some of that communication. So you’d like to have it all in place right now. That’s not the nature of this league. That’s not the nature of our team right now. So we’re trying to function as well as we can to put the best group together."

---------

OMG they are really thinking about Costa, aren't they?

p1_

DCC 4Life
Only dumbass Jerry, God he's a moron.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
OMG they are really thinking about Costa, aren't they?
Back in April:

Well, we’ve got Costa. We’re pretty proud of Costa, frankly. Well, can this guy play guard? You bet he can. [/gay wink]

-- Jerry

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
p1... If your avatar picture is you, you look like a combination of Thorn and Seth Green.

Top Bottom