Cowboys sign Luke McCown

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm not a fan of Kellen Moore as backup but I'll gladly take him over Mark Sanchez.

That week 17 performance against the Eagles was some of the worst football I've watched in quite some time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you are just projecting your personal views about onto Garrett and the Cowboys organization.

From what I've seen pretty much most of Kaepernick's former teammates loved him. In fact, his 49ers teammates voted for him to win some type of team courage/leadership award last season.

So clearly he isn't as much of a pariah in the locker room as you want to make him out to be. But I get it. He's not everyone's cup of tea. All I was pointing out is that I'd feel much better with him starting a must win game rather than Kellen Moore.
I've heard Garrett say it.

And I've read many articles before Kaep ever started to kneel during the National Anthem that said he wasn't a team leader. That he sat in a corner with his headphones on never interacting with other players. That he was never interested in bonding with his teammates. I'm not sure how anyone could think that Kaep is a charismatic locker room guy. No one that has actually heard or seen anything from him at least.

And yes kneeling during the National Anthem is just an extension of that to me. It shows a guy who is more preoccupied with personal agendas then the agenda of the team. Which is fine, I'm sure in Kaep's mind police killing black people is worlds more important than some silly football game on a shitty team. Which I totally understand, I just don't want that as my QB.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
One thing I've never understood is why most NFL teams seem to go out of their way to have a pedestrian backup QB.

The QB position is too important to purposely settle for a Kellen Moore type. You'd think the Cowboys would have learned their lesson after the 2015 season. Which is why I'd have no problem bringing in Kaepernick. He's infinitely better than anything we have behind Dak.

It feels like teams look for quality depth at every position on the field except for the QB position. Its as if sparing the incumbent's feelings is the top priority when deciding who to bring in as a backup. Then they want to look dumbfounded when an injury to the starter sinks the entire season. I be like, bitch, WTF did you expect? A better option was out there but you wanted to settle for Geno Smith.
I think money is part of it. Some teams are loathe to pay money to a guy they hope doesn't even play. You can find a way for almost every other backup to get on the field in some way and contribute except for the backup QB. And with a salary cap, there's a temptation to spend that money in an area that can contribute. But of course the flip side is if the starting QB gets hurt, you're screwed.

The other thing is there aren't 32 good QBs in the league, let alone 64.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We've had a number of respectable backups. Kitna, Orton recently. Beurline, Kosar, Pete, etc back in the day.

You're right about never having young guys to develop though.

But we were really going into this training camp with Moore and Dysert? Wow.
That's probably true but the Dallas organization almost exclusively used the FA system for this position back up. The just didn't have a development program with any legitimacy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's probably true but the Dallas organization almost exclusively used the FA system for this position back up. The just didn't have a development program with any legitimacy.
I totally agree with you there. We have shown no desire to develop a backup with some talent. In my opinion the best way to get a good backup is to draft a guy on day two or three of the draft. Guys who hit free agency that have done anything worth while are going to have a shot to start somewhere. I always prefer the unknown backup to the guy who has played and failed recently like Kaep. I don't want a QB who goes 1-10 as a starter simply because 5 or 6 years ago he was good. Go draft an AJ McCaron to be a backup instead. But we don't do that. The only time we draft one is when we desperately need a guy for the future it seems like.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Luke McCown better fit for Cowboys than Colin Kaepernick

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

July 29, 2017 9:33 PM

OXNARD, Calif. —

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was finally forced Saturday to answer the Colin Kaepernick question that is sweeping the NFL.

And his responses were quite telling regarding the continued unemployment of the former Super Bowl quarterback viewed as politically untouchable because of his national anthem protests as a member of the San Francisco 49ers last year.

The Cowboys added 36-year-old Luke McCown on Saturday to replace the injured Zac Dysert, theoretically, to compete with rookie Cooper Rush for the third quarterback job behind starter Dak Prescott and backup Kellen Moore.

“We really have our guys set in a way that Luke fit what we wanted from our third quarterback,” Jones said. “Dak is No. 1 and Moore is No. 2. We are looking for someone we can evaluate and train and possibly be a quarterback of the future.”

Of course, McCown is 36 and last played in a regular-season game in 2015. In his career, he has thrown nine touchdowns with 15 interceptions, and has a 2-8 record in 10 career starts. He is essentially more of a camp arm than a developmental prospect for the future.

Asked why McCown is better for the future than Kaepernick, who tossed 16 touchdowns and four interceptions last year with the 49ers, Jones bristled.

“We are looking for what fits our team talent-wise, talent-wise,” Jones said, repeating “talent-wise” with emphasis. “We like Luke very much. I know where you are going. The issue here is our depth and building around what fits our offense. We really like Moore as our backup. We don’t want to think too much about not having Dak.

“And so we are really looking at our third quarterback so that we are looking for a player that we can develop more. That’s about all I can say about it.”

Asked if he is surprised that Kaepernick does not have a job, Jones said: “Nothing surprises me at all. We have been very fortunate that it looks like we have our quarterback of the future. Again nothing surprises me.”

Jones declined to Cowboys owner Jerry answer whether Kaepernick’s anthem protest is the reason he doesn’t have a job. But Jones said that every decision is based on what gives you the best chance to win and said that, more than anything, is possibly why he wasn’t on a team.

“I know this. I feel that every team in the NFL makes every decision on players to win the ballgame,” Jones said. “If someone is not on the team I would say that whatever the reason the decision-makers on all 32 teams are trying to pick them to win. So I accept that. If they are not out there, that’s why they are no out there.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
“We really have our guys set in a way that Luke fit what we wanted from our third quarterback,” Jones said. “Dak is No. 1 and Moore is No. 2. We are looking for someone we can evaluate and train and possibly be a quarterback of the future.”
So the oldest QB on the roster is "possibly a QB of the future? :shrug

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I've heard Garrett say it.

Removing Kaepernick from the equation, Jason Garrett is a complete fraud when it comes to the RKG mantra, IMO.

He's proven over and over again that the only people he's willing to hold accountable are players at the end of the roster.

At the very least Greg Hardy should have been fined for all of his antics. He was constantly late to meetings and had a few incidents with teammates and coaches. And not once did Mr. Robot even consider disciplining him. Not even a decrease in playing time.

Aside from Hardy, there are a few other incidents that come to mind. Like when Claiborne left the team when he got butt hurt about Scandrick taking his job. No fine or anything from Mr. Robot. But he's Mr. Law and Order when it comes to fringe players.

I completely understand there are different rules for star players, but you come off as a fraud when you're always pushing this RKG agenda yet rarely enforce it.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the very least Greg Hardy should have been fined for all of his antics. He was constantly late to meetings and had a few incidents with teammates and coaches. And not once do Mr. Robot even consider disciplining him. Not even a decrease in playing time.
Yeah I think Hardy is the shinning example of not being a RKG. I totally agree with that. I'm just pointing out that RKG has never had anything to do with this off the field stuff. It's meant to be a mantra about actual football related activity.

But basically I agree. Garrett is far from a disciplinarian head coach. He isn't Wade Phillips bad but he is a lot more talk and less action. Hell he can't even stay tough with the media for 24 hours without apologizing to them. And I'm sure a lot of that is him staying in line with Jerry who wants to be the players best friends.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Jerry Jones: Luke McCown better fit for Cowboys than Colin Kaepernick

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

July 29, 2017 9:33 PM

OXNARD, Calif. —

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was finally forced Saturday to answer the Colin Kaepernick question that is sweeping the NFL.

And his responses were quite telling regarding the continued unemployment of the former Super Bowl quarterback viewed as politically untouchable because of his national anthem protests as a member of the San Francisco 49ers last year.

The Cowboys added 36-year-old Luke McCown on Saturday to replace the injured Zac Dysert, theoretically, to compete with rookie Cooper Rush for the third quarterback job behind starter Dak Prescott and backup Kellen Moore.

Of course, McCown is 36 and last played in a regular-season game in 2015. In his career, he has thrown nine touchdowns with 15 interceptions, and has a 2-8 record in 10 career starts. He is essentially more of a camp arm than a developmental prospect for the future.

Asked why McCown is better for the future than Kaepernick, who tossed 16 touchdowns and four interceptions last year with the 49ers, Jones bristled.

“We are looking for what fits our team talent-wise, talent-wise,” Jones said, repeating “talent-wise” with emphasis. “We like Luke very much. I know where you are going. The issue here is our depth and building around what fits our offense. We really like Moore as our backup. We don’t want to think too much about not having Dak.

“And so we are really looking at our third quarterback so that we are looking for a player that we can develop more. That’s about all I can say about it.”

Asked if he is surprised that Kaepernick does not have a job, Jones said: “Nothing surprises me at all. We have been very fortunate that it looks like we have our quarterback of the future. Again nothing surprises me.”

Jones declined to Cowboys owner Jerry answer whether Kaepernick’s anthem protest is the reason he doesn’t have a job. But Jones said that every decision is based on what gives you the best chance to win and said that, more than anything, is possibly why he wasn’t on a team.

“I know this. I feel that every team in the NFL makes every decision on players to win the ballgame,” Jones said. “If someone is not on the team I would say that whatever the reason the decision-makers on all 32 teams are trying to pick them to win. So I accept that. If they are not out there, that’s why they are no out there.”
Fucking retarded. Kaepernick would easily be the second best QB on the roster. Jones and the rest of the old cunts that own the teams are still miffed that someone exercised their freedom of speech that they didn't agree with.

Genghis Khan

Fucking retarded. Kaepernick would easily be the second best QB on the roster. Jones and the rest of the old cunts that own the teams are still miffed that someone exercised their freedom of speech that they didn't agree with.
If you think that's an exercise of free speech, you don't know what free speech is.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
If you think that's an exercise of free speech, you don't know what free speech is.
A person can take a fucking knee during the national anthem if he goddam wants to. The very essence of free speech.

But old cunts don't like it, so he's unemployed even though he would be twice as good ass all the other QBs on the roster put together beside Dak.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A person can take a fucking knee during the national anthem if he goddam wants to. The very essence of free speech.

But old cunts don't like it, so he's unemployed even though he would be twice as good ass all the other QBs on the roster put together beside Dak.
He can come out with a kkk hood on as well. Doesn't mean he gets to have a job after.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He can come out with a kkk hood on as well. Doesn't mean he gets to have a job after.
So what?

The point is he would be the best backup on just about every team in the league, and definitely in Dallas, but an old cunt doesn't like that he didn't stand for the national fucking anthem. So we have bottom feeders like Moore and McCown at backup QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So what?

The point is he would be the best backup on just about every team in the league, and definitely in Dallas, but an old cunt doesn't like that he didn't stand for the national fucking anthem. So we have bottom feeders like Moore and McCown at backup QB.
Yeah, so good he went 1-10 last year. Kaep hasn't been shit since 2013. Same dude who was benched for garbage like Blaine Gabbert.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Yeah, so good he went 1-10 last year. Kaep hasn't been shit since 2013. Same dude who was benched for garbage like Blaine Gabbert.
16-4 TDs/INTS on an awful team.

Would be a massive upgrade at backup QB for us.

But OH NOES!!!! He took knees during some fucking song.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
16-4 TDs/INTS on an awful team.

Would be a massive upgrade at backup QB for us.

But OH NOES!!!! He took knees during some fucking song.
Fuck off. Just some song. You are part of the problem. And so is he. And so are the cops that are causing it.

Genghis Khan

No, it has nothing to do with free speech.

Free speech is essentially you can say things without fear of GOVERNMENT reprisal.

It has exactly zero to do with whether you can say whatever you want while at your employer's place of business, while representing your employer, while publicly performing the job for which your employer pays you.

But hey, don't silly things like facts get in the way of a good agenda.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No, it has nothing to do with free speech.

Free speech is essentially you can say things without fear of GOVERNMENT reprisal.

It has exactly zero to do with whether you can say whatever you want while at your employer's place of business, while representing your employer, while publicly performing the job for which your employer pays you.

But hey, don't silly things like facts get in the way of a good agenda.
You didn't say "fucking cunt" so you are not credible. Try again.

Top Bottom