Cowboys sign Luke McCown

midswat

... soon
To play football with the Dallas Football Cowboys, according to someone I trust.

Do not post this outside this forum.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000823140/article/cowboys-qb-luke-mccown-agree-to-oneyear-deal

Cowboys, QB Luke McCown agree to one-year deal
By Lakisha Jackson NFL.com
Published: July 28, 2017 at 10:34 p.m. Updated: July 28, 2017 at 10:45 p.m.

The Dallas Cowboys are adding much-needed depth at quarterback.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Friday that Luke McCown has agreed to a one-year, $250,000 deal. It's a one-year minimum with $80,000 to sign and $170,000 guarantees on his base.

The Cowboys have Dak Prescott, Kellen Moore, and rookie Cooper Rush on their roster but needed another backup after losing Zac Dysert to a back injury. He is expected to be out for the season.

McCown, 36, was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in 2004. He last played for the New Orleans Saints in 2015. The Saints re-signed McCown last season to a two-year, $3 million contract. He was released this offseason after they signed Chase Daniel.

In his career, McCown has completed 216 of 356 passes for 2,370 yards with nine touchdowns and 15 interceptions.

townsend

Banned
I wonder if Jerry still believes he could lure Romo out of Dak got a long term injury.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wonder if Jerry still believes he could lure Romo out of Dak got a long term injury.
I bet he does. And it would be the dumbest idea ever.

He would do it for publicity alone.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
God our QB depth is atrocious.
It has been for years. Under Jones tenure as General Manager, there has not been a single serious QB candidate or program for development QBs. Even Aikman was tagged by the previous owner.

midswat

... soon
It has been for years. Under Jones tenure as General Manager, there has not been a single serious QB candidate or program for development QBs. Even Aikman was tagged by the previous owner.
We've had a number of respectable backups. Kitna, Orton recently. Beurline, Kosar, Pete, etc back in the day.

You're right about never having young guys to develop though.

But we were really going into this training camp with Moore and Dysert? Wow.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
One thing I've never understood is why most NFL teams seem to go out of their way to have a pedestrian backup QB.

The QB position is too important to purposely settle for a Kellen Moore type. You'd think the Cowboys would have learned their lesson after the 2015 season. Which is why I'd have no problem bringing in Kaepernick. He's infinitely better than anything we have behind Dak.

It feels like teams look for quality depth at every position on the field except for the QB position. Its as if sparing the incumbent's feelings is the top priority when deciding who to bring in as a backup. Then they want to look dumbfounded when an injury to the starter sinks the entire season. I be like, bitch, WTF did you expect? A better option was out there but you wanted to settle for Geno Smith.

1bigfan13

Staff member
If the situation arises, I genuinely hope Romo has the wisdom to tell the old man no.
Even if he were to say yes, my guess is we'd have to suffer through at least 3 Kellen Moore starts before Romo is ready to go. With his history of back injuries I doubt he could just drop everything and immediately step up in a pinch.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well Luke ain't great but his last serious run of experience was pretty good. 90 something QB rating. No TDs, but only one pick. Completion % pretty decent. You put a bus driver in charge of this team with this line and RB, and you're gonna win some games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I've never understood is why most NFL teams seem to go out of their way to have a pedestrian backup QB.

The QB position is too important to purposely settle for a Kellen Moore type. You'd think the Cowboys would have learned their lesson after the 2015 season. Which is why I'd have no problem bringing in Kaepernick. He's infinitely better than anything we have behind Dak.

It feels like teams look for quality depth at every position on the field except for the QB position. Its as if sparing the incumbent's feelings is the top priority when deciding who to bring in as a backup. Then they want to look dumbfounded when an injury to the starter sinks the entire season. I be like, bitch, WTF did you expect? A better option was out there but you wanted to settle for Geno Smith.
I sort of agree with you but not on Kaep. It is interesting the way teams look for traits in a backup QB. It's like it's less about being the most talented QB and more about being a good fit as a "backup." Do we do that with any other NFL position? Certainly you don't sign WRs who you think are a good fit as a "backup." You look for the best possible reciever.

It's become unfathomable to have a backup QB who could ever threaten your starter in any fashion.

As far as Kaep goes I just don't think he is a team player. And when you go 1-10 last year as a starter, you can't afford to also have a personality that is troublesome. You can't tell me that Kellen Moore can't go 1-10 as a starter or better.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
But McCown has never played with our awesome OL.

+100 QB rating.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I sort of agree with you but not on Keep. It is interesting the way teams look for traits in a backup QB. It's like it's less about being the most talented QB and more about being a good fit as a "backup." Do we do that with any other NFL position? Certainly you don't sign WRs who you think are a good fit as a "backup." You look for the best possible reciever.

It's become unfathomable to have a backup QB who could ever threaten your starter in any fashion.

As far as Keap goes I just don't think he is a team player. And when you go 1-10 last year as a starter, you can't afford to also have a personality that is troublesome. You can't tell me that Kellen Moore can't go 1-10 as a starter or better.
If we were talking about most other organizations I would agree with you, but c'mon, we're talking about Jerry Jones and the Cowboys here. The Cowboys don't give a shit about any of that off the field stuff as long as you perform well on the field.

If the POS Greg Hardy didn't turn fans off, I highly doubt Kaepernick would.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we were talking about most other organizations I would agree with you, but c'mon, we're talking about Jerry Jones and the Cowboys here. The Cowboys don't give a shit about any of that off the field stuff as long as you perform well on the field.

If the POS Greg Hardy didn't turn fans off, I highly doubt Kaepernick would.
I'm not talking about turning off fans. I'm talking about a player who cares more about personal agendas then winning football games. When Garrett talks about RKG we all make fun because of guys who gets suspensions. But Garrett has always made it clear that RKG refers to players who love football and are team leaders. Guys who want to win football games at all costs. He isn't referring to guys who are boyscouts off the field.

Kaep is an odd personality. A personality that I don't want near my team. A guy who believes his personal agendas are more important than what he does on Sundays.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'll be surprised if he makes the roster. We needed another camp arm. He was never intended to jump our top 2 QBs.
We'll see. I doubt this is right though. I think depsite all the #@!!@#!@ suspensions, Jones has Superbowl aspirations with this team. Teams with SB aspirations don't go into the season with Kellen Moore as the backup.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm not talking about turning off fans. I'm talking about a player who cares more about personal agendas then winning football games. When Garrett talks about RKG we all make fun because of guys who gets suspensions. But Garrett has always made it clear that RKG refers to players who love football and are team leaders. Guys who want to win football games at all costs. He isn't referring to guys who are boyscouts off the field.

Kaep is an odd personality. A personality that I don't want near my team. A guy who believes his personal agendas are more important than what he does on Sundays.
I think you are just projecting your personal views about him onto Garrett and the Cowboys organization.

From what I've seen pretty much most of Kaepernick's former teammates loved him. In fact, his 49ers teammates voted for him to win some type of team courage/leadership award last season.

So clearly he isn't as much of a pariah in the locker room as you want to make him out to be. But I get it. He's not everyone's cup of tea. All I was pointing out is that I'd feel much better with him starting a must win game rather than Kellen Moore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom