Cowboys Sign Keanu Neal

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
His fulltime snaps could decrease a little. I am more hopeful that having Neal around means less of Jaylon Smith in coverage-based subpackages.
Yea if I had to guess Wilson is still going to play at minimum 65% of the snaps, and that's assuming Neal isn't the Will in base packages, which he could be.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yea if I had to guess Wilson is still going to play at minimum 65% of the snaps, and that's assuming Neal isn't the Will in base packages, which he could be.
If the plan is to have Neal in base, I am more than pissed. That would be monumentally stupid.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If the plan is to have Neal in base, I am more than pissed. That would be monumentally stupid.
You'd be getting pissed about maybe 35% of the snaps then, we'll be in nickel/dime 60-70% of the time where it's a non-issue.

I get being annoyed if Wilson's role is marginalized but it's also possible that Quinn just feels Neal is a better fit/player and they're comfortable with Wilson only playing 60-70% of the snaps instead of 95%.

Cotton

Staff member
You'd be getting pissed about maybe 35% of the snaps then, we'll be in nickel/dime 60-70% of the time where it's a non-issue.

I get being annoyed if Wilson's role is marginalized but it's also possible that Quinn just feels Neal is a better fit/player and they're comfortable with Wilson only playing 60-70% of the snaps instead of 95%.
That's more than a third of the total snaps AT LBER just in base, which puts him on the field for about 80% of the total snaps. Like I said, it would be monumentally stupid.

Those OL are going to eat that scrawny fucker up if they play him in base.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's more than a third of the total snaps AT LBER just in base, which puts him on the field for about 80% of the total snaps. Like I said, it would be monumentally stupid.

Those OL are going to eat that scrawny fucker up if they play him in base.

You'll actually see him dealing with Oline in some of those plays. I think you overrate how often the weak side LBer takes on blocks in our defense as well seem to think he is smaller and weaker than he plays.

It's not like the strong side LBer or MLber who are designed to take on blocks.

Cotton

Staff member

You'll actually see him dealing with Oline in some of those plays. I think you overrate how often the weak side LBer takes on blocks in our defense as well seem to think he is smaller and weaker than he plays.

It's not like the strong side LBer or MLber who are designed to take on blocks.
I saw one play in all of that where he encountered an OL in the box. There was a pulling guard that whiffed on him, but that was the guard more than it was his ability to take on the block. And, none of those highlights mean shit because he is playing a different position in base or even nickel than what he would be here. It's unchartered territory for him. I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like a redundant signing.

That being said, like I posted earlier, if it means Jaylon is gone, I will celebrate the shit out of this signing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I saw one play in all of that where he encountered an OL in the box. There was a pulling guard that whiffed on him, but that was the guard more than it was his ability to take on the block. And, none of those highlights mean shit because he is playing a different position in base or even nickel than what he would be here. It's unchartered territory for him. I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like a redundant signing.

That being said, like I posted earlier, if it means Jaylon is gone, I will celebrate the shit out of this signing.
What if it means Jaylon's role is marginalized and he's eventually cut next off-season?

Because that seems very possible.

Cotton

Staff member
Oh yeah, I haven't even brought up his injury history. That's definitely a problem.

Cotton

Staff member
What if it means Jaylon's role is marginalized and he's eventually cut next off-season?

Because that seems very possible.
Did you read the last sentence of my post?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we sign Hooker I'm good with Neal. Throw Wilson in the mix and that's 3 safeties you can feel good about. Neal is a beast against the run. Hooker is a beast against the pass. Wilson is good at both and can cover the two who are often injured.

Cotton

Staff member
Yea I'm saying next off-season though.
Even if it mitigates Jaylon's PT this year, I will celebrate the selection. As much shit as I have talked about Neal, he would be light years better than Jaylon running around like an idiot.

Cotton

Staff member
If we sign Hooker I'm good with Neal. Throw Wilson in the mix and that's 3 safeties you can feel good about. Neal is a beast against the run. Hooker is a beast against the pass. Wilson is good at both and can cover the two who are often injured.
I had rather have Kazee than Hooker, tbh.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be shocked if we don't sign either him or Kazee, and I wouldn't even be surprised if we turned around and drafted a safety high after that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had rather have Kazee than Hooker, tbh.
I wouldn't. But I've been a big fan of Hookers talent from college. He just needs to stay healthy. Kazee is a jag to me who got some lucky picks for a season. Hooker is still only 24 years old FYI.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't. But I've been a big fan of Hookers talent from college. He just needs to stay healthy. Kazee is a jag to me who got some lucky picks for a season. Hooker is still only 24 years old FYI.
Kazee was a ballhawk in college too, he didn't just get lucky for a season.

Top Bottom