Cowboys Sign Gallup 5yr/62.5, 27 guaranteed

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I know we’ve mentioned this, felt it needed it’s own thread.

I am happy for Michael Gallup, and I wish we could have kept Cooper, too.

Wonder if he’ll be whole by TC. His role needs to expand, and for that to happen he needs to practice.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We could've easily kept Cooper with Gallup taking this sort of deal, they quite literally chose to keep Schultz over him.

Will certainly be interesting to see how that turns out, and I for damn sure hope they don't idiotically go WR in the 1st.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also hope the fact that they found Gallup in the 3rd makes them less inclined to spend a 1 on a WR. In a recent interview McClay said you don't necessarily have to take one that high anymore given the consistently strong depth coming out in the draft, so there's some hope.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I don’t get it. I’ve been as big a Gallup mark as anyone, I think the guy with more opportunity could be a solid WR1 or outstanding WR2.

The dud just mangled his knee toward the end of the year, will he even be available for camp/pre season?

I just can’t wrap my head around the way they value guys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don’t get it. I’ve been as big a Gallup mark as anyone, I think the guy with more opportunity could be a solid WR1 or outstanding WR2.

The dud just mangled his knee toward the end of the year, will he even be available for camp/pre season?

I just can’t wrap my head around the way they value guys.
If he's healthy it's a solid deal, and guys in recent history have come back from ACL's in 6-8 months (Akers, Edelman, probably some others I'm not remembering), so I don't think him being ready after about 9 is unrealistic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he's healthy it's a solid deal, and guys in recent history have come back from ACL's in 6-8 months (Akers, Edelman, probably some others I'm not remembering), so I don't think him being ready after about 9 is unrealistic.
Yeah I'm curious what his cap numbers are. 10 mil signing bonus is pretty low and I'm guessing the first two years salary is guaranteed. Allows them to spread the money over the 5 year life of the contract but make it really more of a 2 year deal. Good news is he won't count much this season.

I have no problem with this deal. It's about right. I have a problem with dumping Cooper.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
12.5 mill per coming off a really bad injury. Makes perfect sense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
12.5 mill per coming off a really bad injury. Makes perfect sense.
It's a gamble but by all accounts it's a pretty straight-forward injury and ACL's aren't what they used to be. If he had a fully healthy 2021 I'd guess he'd have gotten somewhere around 15-16/year if he hit the open market (let's see what Christian Kirk gets), so there's definitely some value there if he can stay relatively healthy.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I also hope the fact that they found Gallup in the 3rd makes them less inclined to spend a 1 on a WR. In a recent interview McClay said you don't necessarily have to take one that high anymore given the consistently strong depth coming out in the draft, so there's some hope.
The more I think about it, I think they saw Lamb as the future #1 the minute they drafted him, and we probably planning for releasing Cooper all along (except maybe next year plus refusing the vax didn't help). So yeah, hopefully they see the position as not needing a #1 because that position is already filled.

Makes you wonder how much they like Burks though. I know the "Jerry loves his Arky players" is pretty much a myth, but still.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The more I think about it, I think they saw Lamb as the future #1 the minute they drafted him, and we probably planning for releasing Cooper all along (except maybe next year plus refusing the vax didn't help). So yeah, hopefully they see the position as not needing a #1 because that position is already filled.

Makes you wonder how much they like Burks though. I know the "Jerry loves his Arky players" is pretty much a myth, but still.
Yea and remember that when Cooper was a FA in 2020 they actually let him hit the open market for about 24 hours or so before re-signing him, so I feel like they've always been kind of lukewarm on him, which is odd considering how impactful he was in 2018 and 2019.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yea and remember that when Cooper was a FA in 2020 they actually let him hit the open market for about 24 hours or so before re-signing him, so I feel like they've always been kind of lukewarm on him, which is odd considering how impactful he was in 2018 and 2019.
I think he was teasing the Giants for a minute.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Christian Kirk getting somewhere around $17-21 million/year definitely makes the Gallup deal good value.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone asked the two Dumbfucks in charge of that team for comment?
It's one of those things that you can pay a #1 WR 20 mil or you can pay a slot receiver 2/3 21 mil. And yet we were sold a line of garbage that no one would trade more than a fifth for Cooper because of the salary. Just kind of makes you realize it's a bunch of shit. No one values a fifth round pick that much. They were just banking on Dallas's dedication to dumping the guy and unwilling to give more as a result. If I was a Jags fan I'd be pissed right now though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Gallup more than Kirk but make no mistake, the Jags over paying a dude doesn't make every other team stupid. That's not a knock on Kirk, he is a good little player. But don't expect other free agent WR's to be getting this type of deal. The Jags throw money around because they have it and they suck.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Gallup more than Kirk but make no mistake, the Jags over paying a dude doesn't make every other team stupid. That's not a knock on Kirk, he is a good little player. But don't expect other free agent WR's to be getting this type of deal. The Jags throw money around because they have it and they suck.
Guys like Robby Anderson, Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis and Tim Patrick all have deals averaging roughly what we gave Gallup.

The Gallup deal is very solid for us if he returns healthy, the problem is that we don't use a bargain deal to build a potentially overwhelming strength, we just kind of sit on it and continue down the same path doing the same shit, year in and year out.

Top Bottom