Cowboys Round 1 (17) Selection - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Is it just the position or the player? Would you have taken the other 2 top WRs over Chaisson? I preferred Chaisson over the other 2 myself. I preferred defense but I'm happy with the pick. They stuck with their board so kudos for that.
Ruggs, I dunno.

Jeudy, yes. I would have taken over Chaisson.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Does anyone remember a time when the entire board liked a pick?
DeMarcus Ware?

Hmmm.

Tyron Smith I think was well liked. Dez Bryant was pretty unanimous even though he had some character concerns. Martin was well liked except for you, haha. Or wait... were you the one who was calling how good Martin will be? I forget now.

Given who was on the board I think the Elliott pick was pretty well received too. Though I was bitching and remain frustrated that the Eagles got ahead of us for Wentz, so that kinda ruined that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Does not really matter what was offered. I am always about getting more picks, but this was one case where you don't fuck up a wet dream. There wasn't a player picked after Lamb that even comes close to him as a talent.

It really is hard to put my arms around it. It had to fall just perfectly and it did. Feels weird to catch a break and then do the right thing.
Well if the offer was two firsts and two seconds, eh, maybe should have taken that.

But standard trade value, I'm ok with passing it up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would've taken Chaisson over Ruggs every time, maybe even Jefferson over Ruggs as well.

Lamb and Jeudy I'd have taken over Chaisson but Jeudy would've been a really difficult decision, although ultimately I'd have went Jeudy. To me going Lamb was much easier just because I liked him more.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For a 1st, Elliott maybe.

For any pick probably Gallup, maybe McGovern?
Pretty sure there were people her not happy with the Elliott pick. I seem to remember comments like, "Shouldn't take a RB that high" and "RBs can be had later in the draft".

Cotton

Staff member
DeMarcus Ware?

Hmmm.

Tyron Smith I think was well liked. Dez Bryant was pretty unanimous even though he had some character concerns. Martin was well liked except for you, haha. Or wait... were you the one who was calling how good Martin will be? I forget now.

Given who was on the board I think the Elliott pick was pretty well received too. Though I was bitching and remain frustrated that the Eagles got ahead of us for Wentz, so that kinda ruined that.
I was on the Martin bandwagon. I thought it was a non-flashy yet solid pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well if the offer was two firsts and two seconds, eh, maybe should have taken that.

But standard trade value, I'm ok with passing it up.
It wouldn't have been that high. The only WRs taken after him were Reagor and Jefferson. We weren't doing business with Philly. Minnesota had two firsts, but I don't think they would have parted with both. Even so, look at what was left. Turning this one down was a true no brainer.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Was anybody upset over Martin?

Maybe a handful of mouth-breathers here and there who loved Manziel?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pretty sure there were people her not happy with the Elliott pick. I seem to remember comments like, "Shouldn't take a RB that high" and "RBs can be had later in the draft".
Yes. Elliot was close but there were some against the pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would've taken Chaisson over Ruggs every time, maybe even Jefferson over Ruggs as well.

Lamb and Jeudy I'd have taken over Chaisson but Jeudy would've been a really difficult decision, although ultimately I'd have went Jeudy. To me going Lamb was much easier just because I liked him more.
Too me there were 2 legit, stud WR's at the top of this draft. Jeudy and Lamb I would have taken at 17 over Chaisson easily. Other than that though probably not. Kinlaw was the only guy at 17 I would have passed up the stud WR's for. I think he could be that good.

Cotton

Staff member
Was anybody upset over Martin?

Maybe a handful of mouth-breathers here and there who loved Manziel?
I remember quite a bit of bitching about Martin.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Someone really wanted Ramsey, don't remember who tho

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would say maybe back when Ware was picked. I homered out hard for that whole draft.

This one has the ability to be even better if they keep making the smart decision.
It looks like it will be expected that we can get a starter caliber player in the second this year.... Diggs, McKinney, Winfield, Epenesa... someone like that.

If we can get a little luck and hit a home run in the third as well.... maybe get a slider like Delpit... we are set for an excellent draft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Presuming we would've been moving down to the mid-20's the only way I would've done it was for a complete haul, similar to what I'd expect if we were going from like 6 to 15.

It'd have to include at least their 2nd this year and 2nd next year, along with the first we're moving down to, and quite honestly I would've wanted more because we'd have been delivering a top 10ish player on a silver platter while likely missing out on Chaisson as well.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I honestly don't believe it happened. This is all a bullshit dream where I passed out before the pick and we took Kenneth Murray or some such shit.
Hi @boozeman, when you wake up from your corona coma you'll be pleased to know that the Cowboys 1st round pick went just the way you knew it would.

Good news : We took A.J. Terrell!!!

Bad news : Traded up to #11 to take him

Top Bottom