Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If Jason Witten is not a HOFer, then they have lost their minds. He was a weapon in both the passing and running games for a very long time. About as consistent and dependable as you could ask for. Yeah, there were TEs that were more explosive in the passing game, but you would have to look long and hard to find one as well rounded as he was. The most complete TE in the league. When was the last time we saw one that played as well in all facets of the TE game? Tony Gonzalez is the only one I can think of that would compare, but he wasn't even nearly as good a blocker as Witten was.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If Jason Witten is not a HOFer, then they have lost their minds. He was a weapon in both the passing and running games for a very long time. About as consistent and dependable as you could ask for. Yeah, there were TEs that were more explosive in the passing game, but you would have to look long and hard to find one as well rounded as he was. The most complete TE in the league. When was the last time we saw one that played as well in all facets of the TE game? Tony Gonzalez is the only one I can think of that would compare, but he wasn't even nearly as good a blocker as Witten was.
It's insane the Witten hate. No TE in this league ever had the whole package like he did. Plus, he was fierce in his competition. That fucker would run over people for the team he played for without regard for his safety. I do think it was the blocking that really set him apart.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It's insane the Witten hate. No TE in this league ever had the whole package like he did. Plus, he was fierce in his competition. That fucker would run over people for the team he played for without regard for his safety. I do think it was the blocking that really set him apart.
But later in his career, the blocking was not that great.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But later in his career, the blocking was not that great.
Not as dominant as he once was, no. But even at an advanced age, he was still a decent blocker. I'd argue at worst league average if not better than that. Not elite anymore, sure. And that's what people compared him to. A young Jason Witten. That's a tribute to just how far out he was ahead of everyone else as a blocker when he was going strong.

Spaulding

DCC 4Life
If Witten had a different sticker on his helmet for his entire career there would be no questioning first ballot status.

Just like if Emmitt had a different sticker on his helmet, like a "G" or Cat of some kind there would be no one questioning his status as the greatest at his position ever.

If Jerry Rice had a star sticker on his helmet his whole career, and put up the same results, he would have detractors to this day swearing he isn't even top 10.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I know I may be on an island, but I loved me some Felix Jones. Shame his knees gave out on him, which I think was an underreported reason why his career was so short.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I know I may be on an island, but I loved me some Felix Jones. Shame his knees gave out on him, which I think was an underreported reason why his career was so short.
Talk about short shelf life. He was done fairly early in his career.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to take anything from Felix Jones but that play contained making no one really miss and breaking no tackles. It displayed Felix's speed but that's about it. Not sure I would define that play as incredible despite the outcome.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not to take anything from Felix Jones but that play contained making no one really miss and breaking no tackles. It displayed Felix's speed but that's about it. Not sure I would define that play as incredible despite the outcome.
Yeah, but it's his speed and lateral quickness that makes that play a 15 yarder into a long TD.

Not even a quick guy like Pollard scores there.

Top Bottom