Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Spaulding is our only hope. I'll be like 75 or 80, but this young man will surprise us all and hire a GM when he takes over.

He will also be the first QB/Coach/President/CEO/Owner in league history so we got that going for us.
So obvious, I'm Midswat, dumbasses.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I promise you I'm not. Just making a poor effort at humor.
I'm not entirely convinced Stephen won't hire a GM. I don't think he has the same salesman, front man type mentality Jerry has. Now that doesn't mean I have any faith that Stephen won't be cheap as shit hiring a GM and giving said GM shit for resources.

Spaulding

DCC 4Life

Dallas prevented the Skins from an asterisk undefeated season. The rest of the NFL still owes us for that.

This was also the first game I became a hard core fan. I had watched football with my dad and grandpa and can barely remember SB 12 as a little kid, but this was the game that it all clicked for me. Back in the tape trading days of the early internet I bought a copy of this game for nostalgia.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This was only a few weeks before laying an egg in the same stadium with everything on the line.

Spaulding

DCC 4Life
This was only a few weeks before laying an egg in the same stadium with everything on the line.
Unfortunately. It was a weird season for Dallas. They showed they could beat the SB champs, but faded down the stretch of the regular season which was an issue during Danny White's days (see the 3 game bottom out to finish off 1983-84). There was the loss to Minny even with the Dorsett 99 yarder and a loss to Philly. Luckily, they got the Bucs in the first round and they absolutely owned the Bucs in those days so they got right enough to then beat a mediocre Packers.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
luckily, they got the Bucs in the first round
the only thing I remember is that White had a banged up thumb and lost the ball when he tried to pass, leading to a fluky INT

and they absolutely owned the Bucs in those days so they got right enough to then beat a mediocre Packers.
the only game Rod Hill made a play in

data

Forbes #1
7:45

“not a catch”. Looking back at this, how the fuck did the NFL let this bullshit go on for years? In what bizarro world is that not a catch?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
7:45

“not a catch”. Looking back at this, how the fuck did the NFL let this bullshit go on for years? In what bizarro world is that not a catch?

I remember being super pissed over that. How in the hell is that not a catch? Three steps, a forearm, a knee, a shoulder, his helmet, his chest, both knees, THEN the ball comes out. I can almost understand them saying incomplete on the field since it happened so fast. But how in the FUCK could they not review that? Hell, we even called a timeout to give them more time to look at it. Such bullshit. The only reason this was swept under the rug and quickly forgotten about was because we still ended up winning.

data

Forbes #1
I remember being super pissed over that. How in the hell is that not a catch? Three steps, a forearm, a knee, a shoulder, his helmet, his chest, both knees, THEN the ball comes out. I can almost understand them saying incomplete on the field since it happened so fast. But how in the FUCK could they not review that? Hell, we even called a timeout to give them more time to look at it. Such bullshit. The only reason this was swept under the rug and quickly forgotten about was because we still ended up winning.
@Texas Ace @bbgun

What was the catch(es) to inspire the NFL to bring upon this ‘going to ground’ rule?

data

Forbes #1
maybe the Bert Emanuel catch in the NFC Champ Game
This was the one.
Was it? This was from 1999 season. Had ‘going to ground’ been in place that long?

Secondly, the refs reviewed and called it incomplete as if the ‘going to ground’ rules were already in place. So the refs called it incorrectly incomplete and NFL then later adopted the ‘going to ground’ rules to justify the refs’ incomplete ruling?

20:00

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Here’s a good recap of it all.

TLDR The Bert Emanuel 1999 catch sparked eight years later in 2007 for the NFL to enact the ‘going to ground’ definitions that were controversial in many instances until it’s elimination after 2017 conclusion.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Here’s a good recap of it all.

TLDR The Bert Emanuel 1999 catch sparked eight years later in 2007 for the NFL to enact the ‘going to ground’ definitions that were controversial in many instances until it’s elimination after 2017 conclusion.
Yeah. It was weird to have that length of time between. I just remember some show on the NFL network that was talking specifically about it within the last year. They were pretty specific about that catch.

Top Bottom