Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well stats master, that upgrade has fewer catches in the last two seasons combined than Bryant did last year alone.

Watkins is an upgrade in age and top end speed, but not based on actual production.

I really wouldn’t have cared had we brought in Watkins, but his salary is just stupid. Hard to see him finishing that deal, even if it’s just three years.
Catches are probably the most overrated statistic I can think of as a WR. They are a product of passes thrown their direction. Guy catches 100 balls doesn't really mean shit if he had 200 balls thrown his direction. It's like ranking RBs based on carries.

But my only real concern with Watkins would have been injuries. The guy does not have a great history of staying healthy. Still his explosion and ability to separate would have been greatly appreciated in Dallas.

p1_

DCC 4Life
At this point, I would probably cut Dez and re-sign Butler. He's an affordable option and already knows this offense. It's not as if Butler replaces Dez' production, but that he is able to get vertical and can stretch the field. Also, Butler and Dak seem to have a rapport going, and they connected on several deep balls last year. We will definitely draft a guy somewhere early on, so that will add more speed. Then we can move on down the road from this train wreck.

I would say that Daks development is more important than Dez' declining production and aging body. Let him go find his overstated value in this crazy market. I think it's a win win scenario.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually think Butler should have been used far more. He was highly productive when we threw the ball his direction. The only issue I have with him is his sense of entitlement.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cause he made as many mistakes as big plays. He is not a player who can be relied upon in your top 2. When Ryan Grant and Paul Richardson are getting huge deals but Butler isn’t getting a sniff, you know the book is out on him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cause he made as many mistakes as big plays. He is not a player who can be relied upon in your top 2. When Ryan Grant and Paul Richardson are getting huge deals but Butler isn’t getting a sniff, you know the book is out on him.

If he is available he must not be good...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think Butler brings *something*. But I wouldn't want to pay a lot and I wouldn't want him as more than a 4th receiver.

I don't think he'd come back anyway because he sounds like he wants to go somewhere that he'd get more snaps.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Butler brings *something*. But I wouldn't want to pay a lot and I wouldn't want him as more than a 4th receiver.

I don't think he'd come back anyway because he sounds like he wants to go somewhere that he'd get more snaps.
Well and that's the problem. He basically said he didn't want to come back to Dallas unless he was coming back as a starter. And certainly I'd bring him back to compete for a starting job but it's that sense of entitlement that bugs me.

Still he was like the most productive WR in the NFL who saw less than 40 targets. So I'd definitely like to see what he could do with a bigger role.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Brice Butler has a very Alvin Harper-like feel to him. Makes the crazy catches and drops some that hit him square in the hands.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brice Butler has a very Alvin Harper-like feel to him. Makes the crazy catches and drops some that hit him square in the hands.
It's crazy for a guy to average 21.1 yards a catch while also catching 62.5% of the balls thrown his direction. That's what he did last year. The problem is the sample size is very small. He only saw 24 balls last year so it's hard to say what he would look like with a larger sample size of say 70 balls thrown his direction.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Why would I even want him as a fourth/fifth WR?

Switzer is in the mix so at best, Butler would be splitting time as the fourth option with him based on situation.

I would much rather a young developmental guy like a Miles Austin for that spot, or conversely, a special teams ace like Dwayne Harris or Sam Hurd. Butler is neither. He's tapped out, he's all he's ever gonna be, and its an inconsistent part time fourth WR who won't even be on the field as that in situations where Switzer is better.

Butler is a player who at his age and salary demands, has to move into the top 3. But he's not better than Dez (or what we hope Dez to be) and he hasn't been able to unseat Terrence Williams. He's hit the end of the line. He has no where to go. He's a progress stopper with no upside to add anything but the occasional deep ball, mixed with frustrating inconsistency in every other facet of his game. Moncrief or Taylor Gabriel would have been better than him cause they are at least more consistent in their ability to put up stats in that role.

I'm done with Butler. He can move along. Noah Brown is better for his spot at this point. If we need speed it needs to come from a WR who has a chance of eventually being a quality starter and at least unseating Williams.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm not arguing for Dez, but on Watkins -- I followed the Rams closely last year and I was surprised he didn't do more than he did. I haven't looked into whether he was doubled a lot, but he wasn't impressive at all given his hype. And he had no excuses of a poor coach/system/QB like he did in Buffalo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not arguing for Dez, but on Watkins -- I followed the Rams closely last year and I was surprised he didn't do more than he did. I haven't looked into whether he was doubled a lot, but he wasn't impressive at all given his hype. And he had no excuses of a poor coach/system/QB like he did in Buffalo.
The Rams wanted to franchise him. Clearly they liked him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wanted to trade for Watkins as a reclamation project; but not at 16m a year.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
They franchised Joyner instead because they also really liked him. You only get one tag.
Um, I know that. I'm saying they didn't *really* want to or they would have. Joyner is a good player but it's not like he's Ed Reed back there.

And I'm not saying Watkins sucks or anything. Again, I didn't study it that closely, so he may have been constantly doubled for all I know. But he wasn't nearly as impressive as I expected him to be.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am glad we were passed on by Watkins. I see a fast guy, not a WR.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Um, I know that. I'm saying they didn't *really* want to or they would have. Joyner is a good player but it's not like he's Ed Reed back there.

And I'm not saying Watkins sucks or anything. Again, I didn't study it that closely, so he may have been constantly doubled for all I know. But he wasn't nearly as impressive as I expected him to be.
I think it probably has more to do with their system. They love to spread the ball around a ton. I don't think they were looking for one guy to have 140 targets.

Top Bottom