Cowboys have a team meeting about Jerry Jones' anthem edict

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Troy Aikman on @dfwticket not a fan of team meetings: "When you have them, first of all you're acknowledging there's an issue. And then usually what happens, at least from my experience, is you come out of a meeting and things are a little worse than what they were when you went.
Very true.

I just laughed when I read today that Garrett addressed the likes of Irving and Moore about their fists in the air.

I bet that conversation was completely emotional and touched on the real problems.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This is how I see it.

Jerry's "I'll be the bad guy" comment is just him trying to get the players to buy into his directive and it's a bit of attention seeking on his part. Honestly, it's his team so he doesn't have to couch his decision, but since he's trying to appease both sides, sadly that was the best excuse he could come up with.

I'll also point out, there was absolutely no pressure at all on Cowboys players to protest until he opened his mouth. No one was looking at them negatively. There was no national pressure on Cowboys players to protest until Jerry opened his mouth. If he were the owner of the 49ers, got it, tons of players are kneeling and it's impacting your fan base. However, this story wasn't impacting the Cowboys much at all until Sunday night when he chose to open his mouth. Now he's pretty much painted his players into a corner, particularly minorities, where I'm quite sure their "blackness" (sellout, Uncle Tom, etc.) is now being called into question throughout their communities and via social media.

Simply put, Jerry pretty much threw lighter fluid onto the embers with his stand for the anthem mandate.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is how I see it.

Jerry's "I'll be the bad guy" comment is just him trying to get the players to buy into his directive and it's a bit of attention seeking on his part. Honestly, it's his team so he doesn't have to couch his decision, but since he's trying to appease both sides, sadly that was the best excuse he could come up with.

I'll also point out, there was absolutely no pressure at all on Cowboys players to protest until he opened his mouth. No one was looking at them negatively. There was no national pressure on Cowboys players to protest until Jerry opened his mouth. If he were the owner of the 49ers, got it, tons of players are kneeling and it's impacting your fan base. However, this story wasn't impacting the Cowboys much at all until Sunday night when he chose to open his mouth. Now he's pretty much painted his players into a corner, particularly minorities, where I'm quite sure their "blackness" (sellout, Uncle Tom, etc.) is now being called into question throughout their communities and via social media.

Simply put, Jerry pretty much threw lighter fluid onto the embers with his stand for the anthem mandate.
This is pretty much how I see it. And, just to add one more thing, Jerry Jones is a fucking idiot.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is how I see it.

I disagree to a point. Living in the Cowboys immediate fan area a lot were just waiting to see whether they would kneel again. It would bring about a negative fan reaction if they did.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is pretty much how I see it. And, just to add one more thing, Jerry Jones is a fucking idiot.
I think it was wise on Jones part to meet this contraversey head on.

Cotton

Staff member
I think it was wise on Jones part to meet this contraversey head on.
There was no controversy in Dallas until he opened his gobhole.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I disagree to a point. Living in the Cowboys immediate fan area a lot were just waiting to see whether they would kneel again. It would bring about a negative fan reaction if they did.
Would who kneel again? The entire team?

I didn't expect to see that on Sunday afternoon. I thought pretty much everyone understood that was a one time gesture in response to Trump's comments.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Would who kneel again? The entire team?

I didn't expect to see that on Sunday afternoon. I thought pretty much everyone understood that was a one time gesture in response to Trump's comments.
That was the whole idea. Everyone else expected the same but were waiting to see if anyone was persuaded otherwise.

Cotton

Staff member

Now, THIS, I agree with.

Top Bottom