Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I'm with ravidubey. Offense is set, Dak just needs to take it to the next level.
Just focus on defense! And can we please start by bringing in Snacks, and drafting a couple of monsters at DT to stop the run. I think we've all seen enough of this defense getting crushed up the middle.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What it comes down to is Stephen and the front office aren't desperate to upgrade, they aren't willing or even able to contemplate the ruthless mindset most front offices are forced to have in the pursuit of improvement. It's the only conclusion I can come to that explains why we haven't done anything with Crawford's 9.1 cap number while there are literally tens of upgrades who are signing for somewhere between about 5-9 million/year.

What really astounds me is that we know the team was engaged in discussions with Quinn, which means the conversation had to be somewhere around 11/year, and they assumed that Cobb would come back, presumably for about 6/year based on the fact that they signed him for 5 last offseason. So before you even get into replacing guys who started last year in Collins and Heath, which they've since done, you're talking about at least 15-16 million in terms of AAV that the team had to have earmarked for potentially re-signing Quinn and Cobb.

And what have they done with those funds? Have they pivoted away from those two and re-adjusted their strategy?

No, they've sat on it like a hen guarding an egg, and what that tells me is that they're willing to spend if it suits them and if it's on players they're familiar/comfortable with, but they're either unwilling or simply too lazy to adjust on the fly and to look to re-invest money elsewhere when Plan A doesn't work out.

They're "open" to signing guys like Emmanuel Sanders and Damon Harrison and Everson Griffen, but only on their terms, and if they aren't given a discount they like they just throw their hands up and squat on the money, because ultimately there are no repercussions for anybody in charge when they fail to improve or the team fails to meet expectations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not worthwhile to try to understand the Jones family. There is something wrong with them mentally.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's not worthwhile to try to understand the Jones family. There is something wrong with them mentally.
They aren't rational actors relative to what we see out of the majority of organizations because there are no real repercussions. Jerry will be owner no matter what, Stephen will be whatever he is no matter what, and probably eventually majority owner, and even guys like McClay are made men who will at least have some sort of prominent role no matter what.

I have no doubt that they want to win and that they think what they're doing is in the best interest of winning, but when you don't have that fear/motivation of losing your job, or that you only have a limited time horizon to accomplish things in certain roles, you just aren't going to have the same urgency/desperation no matter what.

But at the very least they've learned how to draft and how to find bargains in free agency, which is better than not having any clue how to draft and shitting all over themselves in free agency as they did from basically 1995-2010ish.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is too much emotion in it for them. Players become buddies and good relationships instead of the cold calculated moves that you need to make. It's a business and not a cocktail party. But sometimes I think the Jones family treats it like a cocktail party and they don't want to leave their buddy behind.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Top Bottom