Cowboys Free Agency Thread

stubbie

Not So New Member
I think it will go back to being better now that Marinelli will no longer be in the war room.
2018 is pretty good. 2019 was Cooper for all real purposes. Hill hasn't panned out, but the knew they were rolling the dice. Kid was immature, give him another year or two. I never liked the Taco pick.

GShock

DCC 4Life
NT will be completely unaddressed in both FS and the draft. They may shoot for one as an UDFA. But getting a couple of monsters in the middle? Forget it!
Our run defense will continue getting punched in the mouth.
Which consequently reduces the effectiveness of our alleged playmaking LBs.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
2018 is pretty good. 2019 was Cooper for all real purposes. Hill hasn't panned out, but the knew they were rolling the dice. Kid was immature, give him another year or two. I never liked the Taco pick.
For the heck of it I pulled up one of Hill's pre draft reports. He was projected to go in the 6th :lol

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I still have faith in their ability to draft. In FA I don't need them to go on a spending spree but they should be able to identify specific areas of need and address them with intent.

Instead these guys just putz around hoping to gobble up whatever bargains filter out after the first few days. Sometimes it works out with a guy like Cobb, sometimes you get Nolan Carroll.

The inability to discern and aggressively maneuver based on the current climate and circumstances is what pisses me off.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I still have faith in their ability to draft. In FA I don't need them to go on a spending spree but they should be able to identify specific areas of need and address them with intent.

Instead these guys just putz around hoping to gobble up whatever bargains filter out after the first few days. Sometimes it works out with a guy like Cobb, sometimes you get Nolan Carroll.

The inability to discern and aggressively maneuver based on the current climate and circumstances is what pisses me off.
I can provide a list of players that have signed for cheap that would have filled clear areas of need on this team.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's what we're reduced to after our front office sits back and watches actually good player walk out the door for greener pastures.

Fans will then tell themselves anything.

Such as:
  1. "Crawford has position flex!"
  2. "Quinn wasn't good against the run"
  3. "With no weed policy, maybe we can get Gregory and Irving back?"
  4. "Anthony Brown isn't so bad"
  5. "Joe Looney's back baby!"
Whatever gets them through the night.

:stop
I think you are overselling the negative a bit.

Yes, it doesn't seem like a good idea that we've sat out on players who seem like they'd be good contributors for us. The reasoning probably has a lot to do with us wanting to backfill those spots with the young players we've drafted who will be cheap.

But let's not pretend there is no upside to any of it either. Crawford probably is a rough equivalent to Maliek Collins if he's healthy. Collins seemed to kinda plateau here as a 3/4 sack guy. He's ok, but not great against the run.... Crawford can do that. McCoy was added too. Woods will probably be back. Etc. Of course I'd love a Kinlaw type, but I can't sit here and say DL is worse right now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Their last couple drafts aren't looking that stellar, they need a home run draft for sure this year.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I think you are overselling the negative a bit.

Yes, it doesn't seem like a good idea that we've sat out on players who seem like they'd be good contributors for us. The reasoning probably has a lot to do with us wanting to backfill those spots with the young players we've drafted who will be cheap.
Who would that be? Specifically on the defensive line? I'm open to suggestions.

But let's not pretend there is no upside to any of it either. Crawford probably is a rough equivalent to Maliek Collins if he's healthy.
Then why did Collins take Crawford's place at 3T? And do you really think Crawford is getting better with age and hip injury?

Collins seemed to kinda plateau here as a 3/4 sack guy. He's ok, but not great against the run.... Crawford can do that.
Was Collins costing us $9.1 million to do it?

McCoy was added too.
Their only add. It's like they made one add and took the week off to celebrate. The stores haven't closed.

Woods will probably be back. Etc. Of course I'd love a Kinlaw type, but I can't sit here and say DL is worse right now.
If you're not, you're lying. To yourself, but not to me. My eyes see clearly and I'm not wearing star-shaped goggles.

They just lost far and away their best pass rusher of 2019. A guy that got them 11.5 sacks in just 14 games! The overall team sack numbers sucked even with Quinn's numbers. And they've done NOTHING to replace that. Instead apparently hoping that pothead Gregory can actually get reinstated. Helluva plan that.

They have gotten worse, whether you can bring yourself to admit the facts or not. Sorry.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can provide a list of players that have signed for cheap that would have filled clear areas of need on this team.
Yea no shit 2 months ago I posted a list of probably 30 guys and we could've afforded at least 3-4 of them if we had the inclination.

The problem is this organization views FA like it's a plague/burden and not a legitimate avenue through which to improve.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We're still a 9/10ish win type team with above average coaching, the issue isn't whether or not we're significantly worse than we were previously, it's that the organization never acts to push us over the top or improve when options are available.

They simply look to the draft and then make FA moves when it suits them.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Yea no shit 2 months ago I posted a list of probably 30 guys and we could've afforded at least 3-4 of them if we had the inclination.

The problem is this organization views FA like it's a plague/burden and not a legitimate avenue through which to improve.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with wanting to see them spend recklessly, but when good players at areas of need are signing deals, for $3, $4, and $5 million a year while they sit on their ass? No bueno.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We're still a 9/10ish win type team with above average coaching, the issue isn't whether or not we're significantly worse than we were previously, it's that the organization never acts to push us over the top or improve when options are available.
This to a tee.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This to a tee.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
If this is a 9 win team as constructed then I'm just mystified as to where all this improvement was supposed to come from now that we've gone from awful coaching to good coaching.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
If this is a 9 win team as constructed then I'm just mystified as to where all this improvement was supposed to come from now that we've gone from awful coaching to good coaching.
You answered your own question.

First, the Red-headed moron led them to an 8-8 record, so 9 wins would be "improvement" all by itself.

Secondly, yes, going from awful coaching to good coaching will bring improvement. In all facets.

Top Bottom